Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

TheWrightStuff

Wei-Yin Chen 2013 Outlook

26 posts in this topic

Forgive me if I missed his thread, but could not find one...

What is his status? Was this DL stint a long one or only missing one or two starts?

Any info would be helpful...part of a pending trade.

There was no thread for him this year. His injury was an oblique strain, which is typically a month or so absence. I'd say he misses 5 or 6 turns in the rotation.

Surprised there was no thread on him... Also surprised he got dropped in my league for just missing a month

Surprised there was no thread on him... Also surprised he got dropped in my league for just missing a month

Word from Orioles beat writer is that he could miss as many as 6 weeks.

Any official announcement as to which day (Tu/Wed) he's starting? Whose spot is he taking? I presume Britton....?

Wei-Yin Chen (oblique) will rejoin the Orioles on Wednesday night for a start against the Rangers.

Anyone rollin' the dice and trotting him out there today? He did have a very solid start against the Rangers last year, 7.2 IP, ER, 5K, BB, w/ a W. I've always liked Chen and I love to gamble...

Anyone rollin' the dice and trotting him out there today? He did have a very solid start against the Rangers last year, 7.2 IP, ER, 5K, BB, w/ a W. I've always liked Chen and I love to gamble...

i'm taking a wait and see approach... he'll likely be there for me after this start

I'm starting him, but I play in an AL only league..

BTW- its amazing this guy only has 9 replies for this thread. Hes having a solid season so far, and hopefully he can be a key part of the Orioles post-season run!

he may be a decent option for those that have Cashner and his innings limit

I will have him on my bench for tonight. I don't like the match up at all, even though he pitched well against them last year. The main issue I have with Chen so far this year is that his strikeout rate has dramatically dropped. Now it is a small sample size with only 47 innings pitched, but still something that needs to be watched. If he can't get his strikeout rate closer to last year's numbers, his ERA is going to get a lot uglier being a flyball pitcher in Baltimore over the summer.

But Chen will be a nice real life boost to the Orioles' rotation and I hope he can at least put up similar value to what he did last year.

Is he on a pitch count tonight?

Haven't seen anything official but he's got to be capped at 80 or so pitches.

Is he on a pitch count tonight?

I haven't read anything stating this either. They did call up Josh Stinson to be his caddy though. I wouldn't expect much more than 5 innings from Chen tonight (assuming it goes relatively smooth).

It looked fine to me, 4 singles including a bunt single and a guy stole home. Just dink and dunk nonsense. He's settled in and primed for a QS.

7 1/3 IP 7 hit 3 ER 1 BB 9 K's. . Not a bad outing. Especially when you consider the majority of that damage came in the third inning

The Ks were a nice surprise, also surprised they had him go 119 pitches, seemed a little extreme.

According to Rotoinfo, Chen has been demoted...

According to Rotoinfo, Chen has been demoted...

MLB.com said that too. That is crazy. Seems desperate? Gausman is getting called up in his stead.

I think the idea is that, since his next start is after roster expansion, they can have an extra arm until then and bring him back for that start. But, aren't postseason rosters set as of 8/31, or has that rule changed? I know that if a player on the roster on 8/31 is injured in September he can be replaced on the postseason roster.

I think the idea is that, since his next start is after roster expansion, they can have an extra arm until then and bring him back for that start. But, aren't postseason rosters set as of 8/31, or has that rule changed? I know that if a player on the roster on 8/31 is injured in September he can be replaced on the postseason roster.

Ok if it's some work around like that, it makes sense.