Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

StuPitt

Kenley Jansen 2013 Outlook

32 posts in this topic

Ok, this guy blew a save yesterday, but I don't understand why he wasn't just named the closer at the beginning of the season. Didn't he do a nice job last year? Same thing happened with this guy last season with Guerra...now it is League. By seasons end he was closer but now he has League in his way.

He did do a good job last year. He won't be a setup for too much longer. League is simply not a good pitcher. I was saying it in the offseason and I'm sticking to it. I thought Jansen would be the closer by the end of April, obviously that didn't happen, but League doesn't have much leash. I believe he was simply a product of Safeco, and is now being exposed in LA. Even though he's only blown 1 save, the Dodgers can't afford to be losing games by sticking to him. They have a lot of pressure to win after spending all that money, and Jansen gives them the best bet to do that.

The 8th is just as important and putting Jensen there takes him out of the position. There are more pitching opportunities when you are slightly behind, tied, or slightly ahead and the team is asking him to keep it close. The closer only comes in when it is a closing situation or if he needs work in. I agree Jensen >> League. But I think it might be a mistake to put League in the 7th or 8 th because he doesn't have the rubber arm that Kenley has.

2 people like this

he wasn't named the closer b/c the organization wanted to feel good about spending money wherever they could, including on league

Now pitching diarrhea has "spilled" over to Jansen. I just hate when managers (I'm looking at you Mattingly) waffle back and forth and mind-f**k their own players. Am I the closer or not, when am I supposed to pitch, etc...

Jansen is a GREAT 7th-8th inning guy with top shelf stuff. Let's not screw that up by bringing League into this. They don't really have someone else to back Jansen if he fails in the 9th. Yeah, Health Bell sucks, but you let him pitch the 9th if not to keep Hernadez (a far superior pitcher) in the 8th.

Neftali Perez was another pitcher who was screwed around like this. Bard another one.

Now pitching diarrhea has "spilled" over to Jansen. I just hate when managers (I'm looking at you Mattingly) waffle back and forth and mind-f**k their own players. Am I the closer or not, when am I supposed to pitch, etc...

Jansen is a GREAT 7th-8th inning guy with top shelf stuff. Let's not screw that up by bringing League into this. They don't really have someone else to back Jansen if he fails in the 9th. Yeah, Health Bell sucks, but you let him pitch the 9th if not to keep Hernadez (a far superior pitcher) in the 8th.

Neftali Perez was another pitcher who was screwed around like this. Bard another one.

mattingly sucks

Posted · Hidden by The Harsh, May 20, 2013 - No reason given · Report post

After blewing two saves in a row is this guy worth keeping? I am wondering if Heath Bell or Cishek are better options.

Posted · Hidden by The Harsh, June 12, 2013 - No reason given · Report post

Having both Jansen and Chapman will be a nice bonus for me. These guys give elite K numbers weekly from the RP position.

Posted · Hidden by The Harsh, June 12, 2013 - No reason given · Report post

Having both Jansen and Chapman will be a nice bonus for me. These guys give elite K numbers weekly from the RP position.

Make sure to keep us posted about all your roster strengths and weaknesses, they are pertinent to the discussion.

That said, I'm excited too.

1 person likes this

Mattingly is clueless and should be bringing this dude in at least ONCE a week, even if there's no save situation. Seriously, what is he thinking?!

Yeah, I'm just waiting for his first appearance/save chance in days and for an implosion myself... it is frusterating to sit back and watch/wait for. Let's just hope it doesn't happen the first chance he gets.... because Donnie is canned if he does get fired, I could just as easily see League with the job back again with one bad outing even at that.

Yeah, I'm just waiting for his first appearance/save chance in days and for an implosion myself... it is frusterating to sit back and watch/wait for. Let's just hope it doesn't happen the first chance he gets.... because Donnie is canned if he does get fired, I could just as easily see League with the job back again with one bad outing even at that.

he did blow his first save chance last week

Kenley Jansen struck out the side and earned his fifth save of the year Monday against the Giants.

Jansen, recently tabbed as the Dodgers' closer, has struck out at least one batter in every one of his June appearances. He's allowed just one run over his last 15 2/3 innings. One of the league's premier relief arms, Jansen owns a 2.37 ERA, 0.95 WHIP and retina-exploding 56/6 K/BB ratio over 38 innings.

seriously rotoworld?

1 person likes this

Kenley Jansen struck out the side and earned his fifth save of the year Monday against the Giants.

Jansen, recently tabbed as the Dodgers' closer, has struck out at least one batter in every one of his June appearances. He's allowed just one run over his last 15 2/3 innings. One of the league's premier relief arms, Jansen owns a 2.37 ERA, 0.95 WHIP and retina-exploding 56/6 K/BB ratio over 38 innings.

seriously rotoworld?

better than rectally exploding
2 people like this

I laughed when I read that, too. And I laughed in a mocking fashion. These writers are so over-the-top sometimes.

seriously rotoworld?

better than rectally exploding

Obviously "eye-popping" wasn't strong enough...Reminds me of the Friends episode where Joey writes a letter of recommendation for Chandler and Monica to the adoption agency and he uses the thesaurus on every word to sound "smart."

1 person likes this

Definitely an earned run. Unfortunately even though there were 2 errors, even if the errors didn't happen, the runner would be on first.

Therefore when the triple happened that run would have scored.

Since no one reached on error, only advanced on error, it was earned.

It sucks because really it was his clown defense that let him down, even ethier on the "triple."

Definitely an earned run. Unfortunately even though there were 2 errors, even if the errors didn't happen, the runner would be on first.

Therefore when the triple happened that run would have scored.

Since no one reached on error, only advanced on error, it was earned.

It sucks because really it was his clown defense that let him down, even ethier on the "triple."

oh i see... so if D. Brown had got out after, then it would have not been an ER? or do advances on errors count as earned no matter what?

I needed that win more than the save.

same here...considering i forgot to sub in Ryu, it worked better in the end. hah!