Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

parrothead

Grant Green - 2B? Oakland

Whats the inside scoop on Green?

- He was a 1st round pick, I think top 15 and was the top collegiate Bat that year in the draft.

- He has put up good numbers in the minors thus far for the most part and was a Top 100 Prospect pre 2010, 11 and 12 seasons.

- I have minor league rights to him in our league but I never hear much about the guy...what gives.

I know the defense is an issue as he was drafted as a SS, moved to OF, moved to 3B and now moved to 2B.

Im just wondering about the offense is it a situation where he gets dominated by prospects and puts up big numbers against career ML guys in the hitter friendly PCL? What gives...

This is one of the deeper prospects I have been watching. I think he is horrendously underrated on mlb.com's rankings. The A's should definitely be considering bringing him up, especially considering their 2B issues. Green is easily better than Eric Sogard. He doesn't walk a ton and it seems that trend has continued, but his strikeout rate is looking pretty close to his 13.3% set in 2012. Although he doesn't walk a whole lot his OBP is at its highest mark since 2010 when he did .363. He makes solid contact and hits pretty surprising power. His speed is good, but his decision making is not as good as it should be (9 CS in 22 attempts last season). This season he has not been caught once, so maybe he has improved in that department.

I was hoping no one would start talking about htis guy and he would fly under the rader until his call up.

...Thanks parrothead....

Anyway, he's not a terribly exciting prospect, but he does have a tiny bit of pop and a little speed. I imagine he'll probably be around a .260 hitter in the bigs.

Would the As look to Jemile Weeks before Green?

It's a possibility, but I think they would go with green first.

I say they give Green a shot first. Weeks has been given a chance in the majors and he just didn't live up to expectations. If Green doesn't either then I say they give Weeks another chance. Like grimsfield had noted, Green will not help your average. I say he has .275 upside, but probably closer to .265. I do like his power/speed numbers though. I say he could possibly do 15/15. That's deep league value for sure.

Whats the inside scoop on Green?

- He was a 1st round pick, I think top 15 and was the top collegiate Bat that year in the draft.

- He has put up good numbers in the minors thus far for the most part and was a Top 100 Prospect pre 2010, 11 and 12 seasons.

- I have minor league rights to him in our league but I never hear much about the guy...what gives.

I know the defense is an issue as he was drafted as a SS, moved to OF, moved to 3B and now moved to 2B.

Im just wondering about the offense is it a situation where he gets dominated by prospects and puts up big numbers against career ML guys in the hitter friendly PCL? What gives...

The other thing is age, this guy will be 26 in September, you gotta start to see what you have don't you?

Wouldn't be shocked if Weeks got a shot first. He's probably hitting best right now.

It's a possibility, but I think they would go with green first.

I really think they'd go with Weeks first, but that's just based on how they're both doing at the moment. Neither are exactly tearing the cover off the ball and Rosales has been doing a decent job thus far. Add in his defense being way better than Weeks/Green and no call up is imminent.

This is just my personal speculation but I feel as though Green in Beane's eyes is a trade chip for a significant trade this summer or in the offseason. Green is a defensive liability for one and his offensive profile isn't exceptional enough in the A's eyes to bring him up as long as they feel they are contending. But in AAA he can continue to hit well and put up stats for some other team who is in dire straights at MI to roll the dice. They are perfectly content with the Sogard/Rosales platoon and if either got hurt or went in a deep slump Weeks I feel would be given the first chance.

So as far as 2013 fantasy value I don't see much or any unless he is either dealt this summer to someone who can play him everyday at the MLB level or the A's completely tank and they bring him up to see what he has. Personally given the number of opportunities they have given to Barton over the years I wish they'd give Green just one shot at the very least. But back to my original speculation I think he's trade bait and his value is higher raking in AAA right now. Russel in my opinion based on all I read is on a fast track much like Tejada was back in the day and 2014 isn't out of the question. Lowrie has a couple more years of control and the FO is very happy with him and his role as a #2 hitter. Sogard or Roslaes won't be around next next year but Weeks will get another crack before Green next season.

Its sad but the Michael Taylor, Grant Green and Barton plan was a bust for Beane and he has moved on.

On fire lately! He really does seem overdue for a call up.

Even if the above theory is true, his trade value is as high as it well ever get unless the A's put him on display at the major league level, but I don't understand why he'd be considered a busted draft pick, what were they expecting him to do that he isn't doing?

I think Green gets less attention because he's not flashy and his ceiling isn't that high, but he's solid across the board in every offensive category, and given how thin 2B is, that's not bad.

he's looking awesome lately, for sure. I don't really think he's gonna get called up any time soon though. The A's seem to be more dead set on promoting nakajima than green at this point.

I get the whole defensive liability thing if that is what the reason is that he hasn't been called up, but Grant Green is absolutely mashing right now at AAA for Oakland. Weeks was given his shot already and even though they signed Nakajima, he is projected to be their SS; not 2nd baseman. I think it is absolutely absurd that he has not been called up to this date and if Oakland does not trade him before the deadline, then he should 100% be up with the club by then. They are screwing this kid around and it is an absolute waste of time to keep someone like Sogard in the spot. He sucks offensively.

In 245 ABs, he has a .306 AVG, 7HR's, 39RBI's, 4SBs; .469SLG, .836 OPS. If we project these #'s outwards, I see him as a .290 hitter or better with 15+homers and 85 RBI's with 10 SB's. He is offensively sound and that is the bottom line and from the stats I gathered and what I have heard recently, he has improved on defense as well.

I can't imagine a guy with a .959 defensive % @ 2nd base this year being any worse for the wear than a guy like Sogard when the offense will clearly make up for it more if you brought him up. Oakland.....do the right thing, bring him up or trade him to a team that could use a quality offensive 2nd baseman. This is ridiiculous already and he deserves a shot.

I'm an A's fan, and I really think this guy needs to get a shot. Literally every year he's played in the minors he's done well, much better than Eric Sogard or Adam Rosales have ever done. I don't have full faith that Hiroyuki Nakajima will be able to hit at a major league level, but at the same time I doubt the A's signed him just to have him sit in the minors, which sucks because he's basically blocking Green from his shot. They'll definitely give Nakajima shot before Green, and the idea that Green will be used for trade bait seems about on point, even though Green would only add to the A's streaky offense - in a good way. I'd love to see Green at 2B, Lowrie at SS, and Donaldson at 3B, with Sogard and Nakajima as utility bench players. I don't think we see Jemile Weeks again for a while (although he's done decently in AAA). In any case, I haven't heard so much as a whisper about his call-up, last year or this year, so as much as it pains me to say it, I fully support the "trade Grant Green to a team that will play him" campaign. Ugh, Billy Beane.

You will find few A's fans who support Sogard's PT and would like to see Green or Weeks up. Defense is very important to Beane and Green's range and abilities are perceived as a liability for a team that relies on pitching and pitching to contact. I can't count the # of plays Lowrie and Rosales have made this season that have saved them games that I know Green would not have made. Nakijima is the guy who will come up first. He's is raking like Green and paid 6 million to be their starting SS once he was ready. Rosales would be kept around to platoon at SS and 2B vs LHP and Lowrie will stick mostly at 2B. There just is no room for Green right now. Sometimes teams just have logjams at positions and promotions aren't possible.

As it stands if he continues to hit as well as he is he'll definitely be a chip in a month for a trade to help the A's get over the hump should they continue to play well. But his future with Oakland isn't this season barring multiple injuries on the big league level. And frankly given they have control of Lowrie at a good salary his chances of making the team in 2014 are probably not all that high.

Really scratching my head on this one, Green continues to produce at a reliable clip and Nakajima is the one who looks like the busted investment.

I wonder if the organization has advanced scouting reports that say his hitting skill set won't translate to the majors?? That's the only satisfying explanation I can think of. The As could clearly use the offense, and Green has the versatility to play multiple positions that they could realistically use him at from time to time.

Really scratching my head on this one, Green continues to produce at a reliable clip and Nakajima is the one who looks like the busted investment.

I wonder if the organization has advanced scouting reports that say his hitting skill set won't translate to the majors?? That's the only satisfying explanation I can think of. The As could clearly use the offense, and Green has the versatility to play multiple positions that they could realistically use him at from time to time.

I've been following this situation very closely. I thought for sure Green might be getting called up yesterday because he wasn't in the river cats game the night beforehand. But, of course, he wasn't. I was even tweeting susan slusser, the A's beat writer, to try and get her to say something about it, but she rarely responds.

There's three or four things that could be holding up his callup as far as I know. This is all heavy speculation, but these are possible reasons nonetheless. One is obviously nakajima. Although at this point, I thik they're more interested in Nakajima as a shortstop and Green as a 2nd baseman. They are paying Nakajima quite a bit more than Green though and he was a primary target to be called up for oakland to begin the season. So there might be some indecision as the management tries to convince itself who the better player to call up is. Nakajima has much better defense than green and did also flash some power and speed in Japan. For whatever reason, he just hasn't done much of that in the PCL. So green is looking like the much more dynamic player on Offense. Second, Green's defense. While it is better, it's still not great and it's obviously nowhere near as good as Nakajima's. So while Green might be the better player on Offense, Nakajima might be the more all around complete player.

Lastly, Oakland has been doing pretty well in the standings, and they're ranked 6th in the league in runs scored. So they might not have felt the pressure to call someone up yet. Sogard has been decent and Rosales has been playing great defense. Rosales doesn't have any options left either and the team might not want to lose him as he would probably be the first person to get DFA'd if Green were to be called up.

All this said. it's still kinda confusing why someone hasn't been called up. With two great options just waiting, I would have expected a move by now. Jemile weeks looks to be completely out of Oaklands picture though as it seems Oakland is now trying to trade him. So at least that's one roadblock down.

Found this . . . http://www.sfchronicle.com/athletics/article/Jaso-out-with-scrape-but-available-as-needed-4617000.php?t=ed62fcee533d4cb4da

Two scouts in the past week have said that the A's are willing to trade Jemile Weeks but that Oakland is asking for quite a bit for the onetime A's starting second baseman, who spent the end of last season and all of this one so far at Triple-A Sacramento. Weeks has been serving as designated hitter frequently at Sacramento while Grant Green gets the bulk of starts at second base. One scout who saw Green recently said that Green looks good defensively there.

For whatever that's worth.

Also, small sample size but Green's errors/games ratio is the same as Nakajima's.

Doesn't sound like the A's are interested in calling him up any time soon.

Susan Slusser@susanslusser5m

For many people asking about Grant Green past two days/months/years, he is not thought to be ready defensively. Also: A's doing pretty well.

This is just a comment. Everywhere I read they are saying that he is very close to being called up, and shortly I might add. Grant Green's defense has really improved and his offense is far superior than Sogard or Rosales. Sorry, but this doesn't jive with reports from their minor league affiliate.

He's committed only 8 errors in 62 games played at 2b this year, and 1 error in 1 game played at 1b, last year he committed 25 in 125 games played, 6 of those at SS, in only 19 games, . In 2011, he played SS, and committed 21 in 79 games. Tells us he should NOT play SS, thats where he's a butcher. 2b, he should be fine.

link: http://www.baseball-reference.com/minors/player.cgi?id=green-001gra

He's committed only 8 errors in 62 games played at 2b this year, and 1 error in 1 game played at 1b, last year he committed 25 in 125 games played, 6 of those at SS, in only 19 games, . In 2011, he played SS, and committed 21 in 79 games. Tells us he should NOT play SS, thats where he's a butcher. 2b, he should be fine.

link: http://www.baseball-...id=green-001gra

tell the A's management that, they don't seem to care. We're way passed the super 2 cutoff. If the A's had any interest in calling him up I think they would have done it already.

Starting at 2B tomorrow. Guess they were just waiting for Sogard to homer before calling him up.