Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

GottaGetTheWin

Worst fantasy "expert"

148 posts in this topic

We've all seen them, read their articles, talked to them online or on the phone. They are fantasy "experts". Every sport has them but for now we will focus on football. They give you ranks, tell you why this guy will be better than that guy, kill your sleeper list, and in the end they are all just guessing about what will happen like the rest of us.

I want to hear who you think is the worst and why...

Personally I can't stand Mathew Berry. I really can't stand all of ESPN fantasy but since he leads the way there he will get the blame. Seems every year I completely disagree with his rankings, his rationals, and pretty much everything he puts out. I admit I now try to limit what I read of his because I can't stand the way he writes, but whenever I do come across something and, God forbid actually take his advice, it always blows up in my face so for me he is my fantasy devil......after shanahan.

matthew berry, brad evans, chris funston. anyone from espn, yahoo or cbs. the best fantasy guys you seem to never hear from.

I think Matthew Berry forever clinched it when he said Michael Vick should be the #1 overall draft pick back in 2011.

5 people like this

The best, by far, is Kay Adams.

And it's not even close.

1 person likes this

I feel like Berry knows his stuff, I just don't always agree with him strategically.

For the last few years he has insisted that you need an elite QB to succeed and, last year, insisted that owners should go QB/TE in the first two rounds which I have always thought is absolutely absurd.

Also, he'll probably be the name that comes up the most in this thread simply because he is the nation's most well-known fantasy pundit.

#MoMoneyMoProblems

There are no experts.

The best writers are the ones that provide the most quality information and can go a couple levels deeper than the predictive "I think this guy can exploit that match-up" stuff... tell me about the why's...

Writers that provide detail around injuries to the OLine, DLine, and secondary are more valuable reads to me.

This is the detail that might truly sway my opinion on a skill position player's week-to-week value.

In terms of opinions that I will listen to, I get so much more from a select few posters on these boards than I get from the self-validated experts.

If you catch me cashing in on advice from Berry or Silva, please just tell me that wallpaper is on sale at Home Depot and that my Sunday will be more entertaining if I spend my time there.

Don't know who's the worst, but add another one to the Matthew Berry list.

There's a podcast thread here. Some of those guys are actually in step with the people of this board. Espn? Yahoo? A step behind.

Evan Silva is by far and away the best content/analyst guy.

Kay Adams is by far and away the best to look at and listen too.

Matt Berry is by far and away the biggest moron on the planet

1 person likes this

I do agree with a lot of the Love/Hate players on Matthew Berry's lists but there are always a few that shock me. His main problem is always his draft strategies, they are awful. Like QB first round last year? Funny stuff

I have to say though when I listen to ESPN football podcasts I pretty much disagree with every single thing Nate Ravitz has to say. The guy is a moron when it comes to football

A lot of people seem to like Kay Adams, who does he work for? Honestly i've never even heard of him. where can I read his articles at?

I usually just read a couple of "steals and sleepers" lists every year but mainly just trust my own judgement and knowledge.

RMJ, I wasn't familiar with Kay Adams either. Just looked "him" up. Turns out it's some super hot girl. Google her and you'll see why she's so popular.

RMJ, I wasn't familiar with Kay Adams either. Just looked "him" up. Turns out it's some super hot girl. Google her and you'll see why she's so popular.

haha, ahh i see. yeah pretty nice

There are no experts.

The best writers are the ones that provide the most quality information and can go a couple levels deeper than the predictive "I think this guy can exploit that match-up" stuff... tell me about the why's...

Writers that provide detail around injuries to the OLine, DLine, and secondary are more valuable reads to me.

This is the detail that might truly sway my opinion on a skill position player's week-to-week value.

In terms of opinions that I will listen to, I get so much more from a select few posters on these boards than I get from the self-validated experts.

If you catch me cashing in on advice from Berry or Silva, please just tell me that wallpaper is on sale at Home Depot and that my Sunday will be more entertaining if I spend my time there.

I agree in general. It's along those lines that I find Brad Evans from Yahoo to be the worst. Occasionally he'll rank some guy low on a gut feeling of sorts based on the fact he can't see him scoring a touchdown (And I'm not talking because he's playing the 49ers run D or whatnot). Adrian Peterson can be the #16 start any given week based on that.

For rankings I don't think people should be going for home runs. Like putting Ben Tate at #1 because you think Arian Foster could get hurt this week. Give rankings as a general guideline and provide overall football information that helps people make decisions.

haha, ahh i see. yeah pretty nice

Sirius+XM+Annual+Celebrity+Fantasy+Football+Fq38rYBhTx1l.jpg

Now this is a girl with some very impressive rankings. I'd let her set my lineup any day.

She's pretty knowledgeable, but she is usually working with guys who are

There's a minuscule chance she's also popular cause, you know, she provides useful information and stuff.

No. There isn't.

But she is pretty knowledgeable.

She's no Robrain though.

Now there's a fantasy expert.

2 people like this

She's pretty knowledgeable, but she is usually working with guys who are

There's a minuscule chance she's also popular cause, you know, she provides useful information and stuff.

No. There isn't.

But she is pretty knowledgeable.

She's no Robrain though.

Now there's a fantasy expert.

You totally stole my joke. Well played.

1 person likes this

Todd McShay. He has actually gotten better, but for a former scout guy he used to have the worst prospect list. Not sure who's salad he tossed to get that plum job, but he must be good at it.

I'm gonna go ahead and stick up for Matthew Berry. Not because I think his analysis is any good, but because he's actually the BEST at what he does -- which is entertain. You may hate him but you listen or read because you LOVE to hate him. His numbers speak for themselves -- the dude is wildly popular because so many people "can't stand him". We all know we can get better analysis from some random schmo on this board, but that can be said for most analysts. They don't get their jobs because they're the best at figuring out what's going to happen -- they get their jobs because they're good at presenting their terrible predictions.

Todd McShay. He has actually gotten better, but for a former scout guy he used to have the worst prospect list. Not sure who's salad he tossed to get that plum job, but he must be good at it.

Isn't he really more of a draft guru than a fantasy expert?

His main problem is always his draft strategies, they are awful. Like QB first round last year? Funny stuff

Except QB first round last year was a super solid strategy. Brees, Brady, Rodgers all finished top 3. Should people have drafted McCoy, CJ2K, MJD, Andre, Fitz, DMC instead???? I find it super amusing that of all the ways to criticize experts, people are ganging up on a piece of great advice.

I actually agree with Berry that you really want an elite QB or at least somebody with elite QB upside. Lots of people think they are being clever by drafting a guy who will probably finish in the 6-8 overall place despite having limited upside, but people don't realize the difference between Romo and Brees last year was as big as the difference between Ray Rice and BJGE. In 2011, the difference between Rodgers and Romo was the difference between Lynch (5th best RB) and Donald Brown (35th best RB). You really really want a shot at having the #1 overall QB. Settling for the 7th best QB can be a killer in 10 and 12 team leagues unless you're 100% positive you're getting a top 5 RB or WR by drafting Romo later.

Although QBs can get hurt too, especially ones like Vick, it happens way less frequently than with RBs. Basically there's a ton of turnover in who the elite RBs are year to year (other than a couple super elite guys like Foster and AP), there's still some turnover in elite WRs but not as much, and there's even less turnover in who the elite fantasy QBs are - except Cam has put himself in that group and RG3 would have if not for his injury.

---------------

I actually don't think Berry or a lot of fantasy experts are that bad. Basically if they provide some numbers and stats, then I can learn something even if their analysis is wrong. A lot of time they have data I don't have too. I think most experts are bad in that they rarely go against the grain though. Probably because it's better to be wrong when everybody else is wrong than when you're the only person wrong. But as long as you can recognize how the experts are consistently wrong you can benefit from it, just like it's important for people on these forums to realize that anybody with "potential" or "talent" is going to be overhyped and overvalued here.

1 person likes this

His main problem is always his draft strategies, they are awful. Like QB first round last year? Funny stuff

Except QB first round last year was a super solid strategy. Brees, Brady, Rodgers all finished top 3. Should people have drafted McCoy, CJ2K, MJD, Andre, Fitz, DMC instead???? I find it super amusing that of all the ways to criticize experts, people are ganging up on a piece of great advice.

I actually agree with Berry that you really want an elite QB or at least somebody with elite QB upside. Lots of people think they are being clever by drafting a guy who will probably finish in the 6-8 overall place despite having limited upside, but people don't realize the difference between Romo and Brees last year was as big as the difference between Ray Rice and BJGE. In 2011, the difference between Rodgers and Romo was the difference between Lynch (5th best RB) and Donald Brown (35th best RB). You really really want a shot at having the #1 overall QB. Settling for the 7th best QB can be a killer in 10 and 12 team leagues unless you're 100% positive you're getting a top 5 RB or WR by drafting Romo later.

Although QBs can get hurt too, especially ones like Vick, it happens way less frequently than with RBs. Basically there's a ton of turnover in who the elite RBs are year to year (other than a couple super elite guys like Foster and AP), there's still some turnover in elite WRs but not as much, and there's even less turnover in who the elite fantasy QBs are - except Cam has put himself in that group and RG3 would have if not for his injury.

---------------

I actually don't think Berry or a lot of fantasy experts are that bad. Basically if they provide some numbers and stats, then I can learn something even if their analysis is wrong. A lot of time they have data I don't have too. I think most experts are bad in that they rarely go against the grain though. Probably because it's better to be wrong when everybody else is wrong than when you're the only person wrong. But as long as you can recognize how the experts are consistently wrong you can benefit from it, just like it's important for people on these forums to realize that anybody with "potential" or "talent" is going to be overhyped and overvalued here.

no actually what you and those experts aren't realizing is that you aren't just sacrificing a top rb to get Brees instead of Romo. What you're doing is taking every position i draft a round or two later than i do.

Last year my draft looked like this after 4 rounds: Rice, AJ Green, Julio, Doug Martin

The 4 guys that went QB in the first round... well here you go:

1. Brees, Mathews, Wallace, Bradshaw

2. Rodgers, Forte, Jennings, M Turner

3. Brady, Trent, Welker, S Smith(Car)

4. Stafford, Gronk, R White, Sproles(not ppr)

lets take a deeper look: my main point is my RB1 is better than all of their RB1's. my WR1 is better than all of their WR1's. my WR2 is better than all of their WR2's. my RB2 is better than all of their RB2's. this will most likely happen 9 times out of 10 if you play in a league with people who know their stuff including yourself

yes i had a good draft and some of them got unlucky with injury but my point is you dont just sacrifice your top RB to replace Romo with Brees or Rodgers. you sacrifice every position other than QB until you're done drafting all of your starters. Oh and who did I end up grabbing at the end of the 6th round for my QB? Well Tony Romo! More than happy with that strategy and laughed at all the people who went QB in the first round all the way to the championship.

3 people like this

no actually what you and those experts aren't realizing is that you aren't just sacrificing a top rb to get Brees instead of Romo. What you're doing is taking every position i draft a round or two later than i do.

Last year my draft looked like this after 4 rounds: Rice, AJ Green, Julio, Doug Martin

The 4 guys that went QB in the first round... well here you go:

1. Brees, Mathews, Wallace, Bradshaw

2. Rodgers, Forte, Jennings, M Turner

3. Brady, Trent, Welker, S Smith(Car)

4. Stafford, Gronk, R White, Sproles(not ppr)

Your point makes absolutely no sense at all. Yeah, your 2nd, 3rd, and 4th round picks were good while theirs were bad - of course more than just the first round pick matters. Also you were lucky enough to have a top 3 pick, so nobody was ever even advising you to consider a QB. Even QB supporters like me were saying you take the elite QB after Foster, Rice, McCoy, and Megatron - like I said last time, it's okay to pass up on an elite QB if you're getting a top 5 RB or WR (which you pretty much did). But the people that passed on Rodgers, Brees, and Brady for guys like CJ2K, MJD, Andre, Fitz, DMC and what not should have just drafted the elite QB and taken the sure thing. CJ2K sucked in 2011, MJD had holdout problems and a brutal schedule, DMC and Andre had injury issues, and Fitz wasn't actually very good with Kolb in 2011 - he was only good with Skelton. So why are people pretending it was bad advice to just say draft an elite QB instead of all these guys with huge question marks?

Say you have the 5th best pick so McCoy, Rice, Foster, and Megatron are gone. Are you honestly trying to tell me me that CJ2K/DMC/MJD, AJ Green, Julio, Doug Martin, Romo was better than Rodgers, AJ Green, Julio, Doug Martin, BJGE?!?

my main point is my RB1 is better than all of their RB1's. my WR1 is better than all of their WR1's. my WR2 is better than all of their WR2's. my RB2 is better than all of their RB2's. this will most likely happen 9 times out of 10 if you play in a league with people who know their stuff including yourself

You've managed to completely confuse yourself due to the numbering. I'll lay out why you're wrong as simply as I can, I think everybody should understand it.

Team 1: RB WR WR RB QB compared to Team 2: QB WR WR RB RB only involves 1 swap of positions, not 4. Team 1 will have a single RB who is better than team 2, while Team 2 will have a better QB than team 1 does.

So there's only a single tradeoff, 1 RB downgraded from 1st round to 5th round quality versus 1 QB upgraded from 5th round to 1st round quality. Unless you can inform me how team 2's other 3 players are magically worse despite being the exact same players.

1 person likes this