Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Timmah!

Gregory Polanco - OF PIT

After two-sub par seasons in the low minors, he exploded in 2012, hitting .325 with a .910 OPS in the Sally League. 16 homers and 40 steals make him look like a potential multi-cat stud.

He's picked up where he left off at A+, hitting .311 with a .881 OPS (6 homers, 19 steals).

I admit not knowing a lot about him. He's still got some time to go before making an impact, but where do people see him landing in the Pittsburgh OF, and what kind of ETA might he have?

The OF for Pittsburgh is really interesting because there is only one spot I could see Polanco taking. Marte is a free agent in 2019 (2016 arb.), McCutchen is a free agent in 2018 and Snider is a free agent in 2017 (2014 arb.). The RF position is pretty weak (Snider, Jones, Tabata), so that's the only position I could see him filling unless they change his position, but he seems well suited to be an outfielder. I see him being ready to compete in the majors sometime in late 2014 to early 2015, but as long as the Pirates have Snider he won't get a shot at starting. Best case scenario for Polanco is that Snider is either traded or released sometime during or before 2014 or 2015. I say he has a good chance of either taking the position if that happens or starting the season after. We'll just have to see, either way Polanco seems like a guy who will hit solid average, a bit of power and great speed.

I would guess he'll be playing in 2015 or 2016.

The OF for Pittsburgh is really interesting because there is only one spot I could see Polanco taking. Marte is a free agent in 2019 (2016 arb.), McCutchen is a free agent in 2018 and Snider is a free agent in 2017 (2014 arb.). The RF position is pretty weak (Snider, Jones, Tabata), so that's the only position I could see him filling unless they change his position, but he seems well suited to be an outfielder. I see him being ready to compete in the majors sometime in late 2014 to early 2015, but as long as the Pirates have Snider he won't get a shot at starting. Best case scenario for Polanco is that Snider is either traded or released sometime during or before 2014 or 2015. I say he has a good chance of either taking the position if that happens or starting the season after. We'll just have to see, either way Polanco seems like a guy who will hit solid average, a bit of power and great speed.

False. Snider is a bust.

False. Snider is a bust.

The Pirates signing him through 2017 says otherwise. I don't believe he will ever live up to the hype surrounding him, but he has put together enough good games for them to keep him around. For now at least. We'll see how long it takes the Pirates to get rid of him, but as long as he contributes every once in a while I don't think they'll get rid of him. That being said, when Polanco is ready to play they better call him up and get rid of Snider if they haven't by that time already. He's a weak block, but a block nonetheless.

False. Snider is a bust.

The Pirates signing him through 2017 says otherwise. I don't believe he will ever live up to the hype surrounding him, but he has put together enough good games for them to keep him around. For now at least. We'll see how long it takes the Pirates to get rid of him, but as long as he contributes every once in a while I don't think they'll get rid of him. That being said, when Polanco is ready to play they better call him up and get rid of Snider if they haven't by that time already. He's a weak block, but a block nonetheless.

His OPS is barely above .700. It was well below .700 last year with the Bucs. His career OPS is .722, and that's with 1200 PAs. Snider has literally done nothing to earn nor keep his job. A weak block isn't a block at all, and Snider is as weak as they come.

False. Snider is a bust.

His OPS is barely above .700. It was well below .700 last year with the Bucs. His career OPS is .722, and that's with 1200 PAs. Snider has literally done nothing to earn nor keep his job. A weak block isn't a block at all, and Snider is as weak as they come.

As long as Snider has the occasional game like he did on 5/16 then they will keep him starting. As much as I disagree with that for the reasons you have just pointed out. He is a bust, I agree, but the Pirates clearly think he is the best option for RF. He has shown the ability to hit, but not consistently. Games like the one he had on 5/16 and 5/21 give the Pirates reason to start him. He is prone to very long dry spells and that is why I don't believe that he will be around when Polanco is ready in 2015ish. As long as he's there they won't call him up unless he is truly ready. That's all I was saying. Some teams rush prospects to fill a hole, the Pirates won't because Snider is there. He is certainly not elite, not even decent, but he has some good games and that is why they're keeping him for right now. I would hope they get rid of him as soon as Polanco is ready though. Maybe even before if they have faith in Tabata.

Keith Law just ranked this dude in his updated top 25 prospects in all of MLB

Promoted to AA. Is it possible we see him at the start of next year?

I don't know about that, but he went 3/5 with a steal in his AA debut last night. He's stealth-ily coming along.

I like it.

False. Snider is a bust.

Wait, are you saying that the Pirates have Travis Snider signed through 2017? That's news to me.

I don't know about that, but he went 3/5 with a steal in his AA debut last night. He's stealth-ily coming along.

I like it.

nothing stealth about his '13 season - he's displayed speed and some power and most of alll backed up his '12 breakout season. he's top 10 on a lot of lists right now.

I like it.

nothing stealth about his '13 season - he's displayed speed and some power and most of alll backed up his '12 breakout season. he's top 10 on a lot of lists right now.

This thread didn't exist until I started it a couple if weeks ago. I guess it's a matter of perspective.

Either way, Polanco is coming along nicely.

For comparison's sake, comparing Marte and Polanco at high A ball:

Marte (21 years old): 60 games; .315/.386/.432 - (0 HR, 22 SB) - K/BB: 12/59

Polanco (21 years old): 57 games; .312/.364/.462 - (6 HR, 24 SB) - K/BB: 16/37

Very similar numbers; Polanco edges him in power, plate discipline, and SB success rate.

Hasn't slowed down since he's been promoted to AA.

On the season, his line is .314/.372/.470 (8 HRs, 28 SBs)

Marte, Cutch, and Polanco will be the fastest OF in the Majors.

Tabata actually posted a respectable triple slash in 2013 and is only 25, any chance that he gets motivated to fight for the RF job this year and holds off Polanco? Supposedly, day-to-day effort was one of the issues that held Tabata back for a while.

Tabata actually posted a respectable triple slash in 2013 and is only 25, any chance that he gets motivated to fight for the RF job this year and holds off Polanco? Supposedly, day-to-day effort was one of the issues that held Tabata back for a while.

Unless Tabata has a rebirth he won't stop Polanco. At this point Tabata is a solid 4th OF. He's not a guy who will block a top prospect.

Any new guesses on ETA?

June 1st, or whenever the super2 bs is safe to pass

I can't believe the dynasty league I had him in got shut down, I'm so disappointed....

As for an ETA, let's see how the spring season goes. If the Bucs other OF options show something, it'll set him back a bit regardless of how the Super 2 comes into play.

McCutchen and Marte are safe. So if Tabata continues where he left off the last two months of last year. I don't see any reason why they'd bring him up before September barring injury.

I don't think Tabata's performace will really effect Polanco's ETA. It will be determined by how Polanco performs in AAA. Even with Tabata's decent numbers last year, he is basically a replacement level player. If Polanco produces at AAA, he should be up after Super 2 date in June.

Really liking this kid more and more. Looks like a future stud to me.

Just homered off of Phelps.