Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Timmah!

Gregory Polanco - OF PIT

Advanced approach at the plate for such a young age, lefty who can hit lefties, good speed/projectable power combo, imposing physical specimen, hard worker, by all accounts a high-character kid... I'm buying!

Why would they ever start Tabata over him?

Normally I'd say he's Super 2 for sure, but I think the Pirates want to make a statement for their fans following that magical run last season. As a Cards fan, that outfield is going to be scary as sh*t -- thank God we have a bit more pitching.

Well, if Andrew McCutcheon has any pull with Pirates brass, this kid will be up sooner rather than later. He thinks he's absolutely ready now, and calls him a "freak of nature." Nice to hear Pittsburgh's franchise player speaking so glowingly of Polanco.

If Jose Tabata is the only thing standing in his way he should be up sooner, rather than later. Tabata is terrible.

Seems like he gets an extra base hit or makes some kind of great play in the field everytime he's in the lineup. Heck Alen Hanson has looked just as good and has a clearer path. If not for the good year the team had last year, they would have a better chance of breaking camp. Can't wait for June to see the kid get his chance

I honestly don't get the hype. Betts looks like he is Gregory Polanco with a better average, MI eligibility, and a year younger... Why is there such a big gap between them in precived value? Fantasy wise I'll take Betts no doubt over Polanco. Hell Polanco doesnt even crack my top 30.

I honestly don't get the hype. Betts looks like he is Gregory Polanco with a better average, MI eligibility, and a year younger... Why is there such a big gap between them in precived value? Fantasy wise I'll take Betts no doubt over Polanco. Hell Polanco doesnt even crack my top 30.

I wasn't overly impressed by his numbers but the pros are:

6-4 220, 22 years old with speed and developing power.

Maybe Alex Rios type numbers.

Yeah the scouting reports are good but the numbers were barely above average.

Part of it is that Betts hasn't gone on to Double-A yet. That is generally when they will really jump up prospect lists. Polanco is a beast at 6-4 225, while Betts is much smaller in size and a right handed batter. That doesn't always correlate with production, but definitely something scouts look at.

In A-ball in his age 20 season, Polanco hit 16 bomb with 40 steals and a .325 average. Betts in his age 20 season had very similar numbers with 16 bombs, 46 steals and a .309 average. Very similar production. What has scout's impressed with Polanco is that as he moved to Double-A, his K% dropped and his BB% increased. The power will come.

Because Polanco is a year older and did okay last year in Double-A at a very young age, he jumped up a lot of lists. Betts is in that position now. He is already climbing a lot of lists. If he has a solid year in Double-A, he will see the same type of hype heading into next season. Right now Polanco is a year older, a level higher and has a more projectable body type for power. Those are all reasons why he would be higher on a lot of lists.

Part of it is that Betts hasn't gone on to Double-A yet. That is generally when they will really jump up prospect lists. Polanco is a beast at 6-4 225, while Betts is much smaller in size and a right handed batter. That doesn't always correlate with production, but definitely something scouts look at.

In A-ball in his age 20 season, Polanco hit 16 bomb with 40 steals and a .325 average. Betts in his age 20 season had very similar numbers with 16 bombs, 46 steals and a .309 average. Very similar production. What has scout's impressed with Polanco is that as he moved to Double-A, his K% dropped and his BB% increased. The power will come.

Because Polanco is a year older and did okay last year in Double-A at a very young age, he jumped up a lot of lists. Betts is in that position now. He is already climbing a lot of lists. If he has a solid year in Double-A, he will see the same type of hype heading into next season. Right now Polanco is a year older, a level higher and has a more projectable body type for power. Those are all reasons why he would be higher on a lot of lists.

Polanco also killed it in Winter League with a .922 OPS and 7 stolen bases. Mookie held his own with a .741 OPS and 8 stolen bases.

Also, there's even more to like after reading the high praises from his future manager:

“Polanco is special. Special. The physical presence? I haven’t seen the physical presence since maybe a young Darryl Strawberry broke in as far as size,” said Hurdle. “He’s tall, he’s strong. He runs. He runs in the fashion Larry Walker used to run, because the strides are so long. Doesn’t look like he’s fast but when it all gets done, you look at the clock and say, ‘Man, he didn’t get down there that quick?’ He’s very gifted and he’s getting closer every day.”

Source: http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/pirates/2013/12/11/Prized-prospect-Polanco-could-be-join-Pirates-outfield-mix-by-June/stories/201312110036#ixzz2v80Rg94j

Polanco also killed it in Winter League with a .922 OPS and 7 stolen bases. Mookie held his own with a .741 OPS and 8 stolen bases.

Also, there's even more to like after reading the high praises from his future manager:

“Polanco is special. Special. The physical presence? I haven’t seen the physical presence since maybe a young Darryl Strawberry broke in as far as size,” said Hurdle. “He’s tall, he’s strong. He runs. He runs in the fashion Larry Walker used to run, because the strides are so long. Doesn’t look like he’s fast but when it all gets done, you look at the clock and say, ‘Man, he didn’t get down there that quick?’ He’s very gifted and he’s getting closer every day.”

Source: http://www.post-gaze...6#ixzz2v80Rg94j

I keep hearing a lot of young Dave Parker references coming out as well.

I also didn't understand the huge hype with this guy just by judging his numbers, then I watched his at bats this spring and now I understand why he gets the praise that he does. I'm not quite sure how to put it into words, but its similar to someone like Jose Fernandez, when you watch them you just know it.

I also didn't understand the huge hype with this guy just by judging his numbers, then I watched his at bats this spring and now I understand why he gets the praise that he does. I'm not quite sure how to put it into words, but its similar to someone like Jose Fernandez, when you watch them you just know it.

Exactly.

Jose Fernandez dominated every step of the way in the minors while being well ahead of his age. If Polanco was truly a top 10 prospect he'd have #'s to back it. This guy is over hyped and there's no doubt in my mind Betts will be a better fantasy player.

Source: http://www.post-gaze...6#ixzz2v80Rg94j

First off you're on apples to oranges. The AFL and DWL aren't the same. The AFL is a conglomerate of top prospects. The DWL is basically C level prospects I mean Rafael Ynoa & Yamacia Navarro raked pretty hard in the DWL as well...

Besides let's not say 8 SBs and 11 runs in 16 games is "holding your own". Over 150 games that projects to be 103 runs and 75 stolen bases. I think that's a lot closer to "kid got it done" than "kid held his own".

Also Betts put up a better age 20 season than Polanco in not only overall stats but in plate discipline as well. Despite half of his season being in Advanced A ball, along with the production drastically getting better as he moved up into Advanced A ball. Polanco was in only A ball.

Betts has stud written all over him. Boston knows it they even have him working in at SS in spring. Buy low on Betts sell high on Polanco. Come mid season I have a feeling there will be no doubt that Betts is the better prospect.

Actually, in their only true "apples to apples" season (when each was age 20 in the South Atlantic League), their stats weren't too far off from each other. Polanco has the better BA (.325 to .296), slugging % (.522 to .477), and ISO (.197 to .181) while Betts was better in on base % (.418 to .388) and had better walk and K rates. So when they both played extensively in the same league at the same age, they were both studs.

And both have plenty of upside to be very good-to-great MLB players as well. I personally think Polanco has the tools to be a terrific all-around player for many years in that Pittsburgh OF.

Am I missing something? Why are all the Betts comparisons coming? They are different players at different positions in different organizations? What does Betts have to do with Polonco succeeding in the MLB at all? I'm more curious to hear about how Polonco looks this spring and if anyone has info.

Prospects are ranked higher than others all the time for various reasons. I might be missing something here but I don't really see why Betts is even in this thread.

Am I missing something? Why are all the Betts comparisons coming? They are different players at different positions in different organizations? What does Betts have to do with Polonco succeeding in the MLB at all? I'm more curious to hear about how Polonco looks this spring and if anyone has info.

Prospects are ranked higher than others all the time for various reasons. I might be missing something here but I don't really see why Betts is even in this thread.

I was thinking the same thing. Polanco is an interesting prospect, but we need to see more of him (rest of Spring Training, see how he does in 2 months in AAA). His tools are obviously there, so he has potential.

Think it's a man crush, lol. Betts found his way into the Buxton thread as well...

I'm doing you all the favor of hyoing Betts out everywhere. He is basically Buxton at MI. My main point here is I don't so Polanco anywhere near a top 10 prospect. So if you can get that type of value for him in a keeper league rush to the trading table.

I'm doing you all the favor of hyoing Betts out everywhere. He is basically Buxton at MI. My main point here is I don't so Polanco anywhere near a top 10 prospect. So if you can get that type of value for him in a keeper league rush to the trading table.

Your main point is wrong. All you do with minor leaguers is look at numbers. There are other ways to judge players as well. Plate discipline, body type, maturity level etc. These are all 18 to 22 year old kids for the most part people are scouting. Some of them have not physically matured yet and are just starting to come into there own. Polanco has a projectable body type. He has a big frame, and with proper conditioning scouts see he could probably pack on a lot of muscle to that frame.

Matt Holliday slugged .427 in the minors. He skipped AAA despite only having a .708 OPS in AA as a 23 year old. But he had a big body, and he grew into size and the power came soon there after. He was not a product of Coors as he has hit, and hit well in every enviroment he has been in.

Fact of the matter with Polanco is that he already has good plate discipline, he already has plus speed, and he has shown over the last few years as his body has developed that the power is starting to come along. Part of scouting is projectability. Its easier to project Polanco than it is Betts due to stature. Polanco doesn't really have much in his way blocking him either, Betts is going to have to deal with Boegarts or Pedroia being at SS/2B for Boston for probably the next decade. So his path is blocked unless he is traded.

Jose Fernandez dominated every step of the way in the minors while being well ahead of his age. If Polanco was truly a top 10 prospect he'd have #'s to back it. This guy is over hyped and there's no doubt in my mind Betts will be a better fantasy player.

Dominican players are hard to judge, but when they play 3 levels in 1 year and draw walks as many as Polanco does, and don't strikeout. Bat lefthanded and more than hold their own, not sure how, or why you group them with a fenom pitcher

Posted · Hidden by The Harsh, March 12, 2014 - No reason given
Hidden by The Harsh, March 12, 2014 - No reason given

Polanco or Springer?