Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Timmah!

Gregory Polanco - OF PIT

Posted · Hidden by The Harsh, March 12, 2014 - No reason given
Hidden by The Harsh, March 12, 2014 - No reason given

Traded Polanco in my keeper league for Joc Pederson and Tanaka

Mr. Betts, sir, now while I can totally understand why you'd be overly supportive of your son, this is a bit much. Don't the Red Sox have a message board somewhere on the Interwebz?

You made out like a thief there.

I'm doing you all the favor of hyoing Betts out everywhere. He is basically Buxton at MI. My main point here is I don't so Polanco anywhere near a top 10 prospect. So if you can get that type of value for him in a keeper league rush to the trading table.

Stop sucking Betts's balls and admit Polanco is a great player

I also didn't understand the huge hype with this guy just by judging his numbers, then I watched his at bats this spring and now I understand why he gets the praise that he does. I'm not quite sure how to put it into words, but its similar to someone like Jose Fernandez, when you watch them you just know it.

Jose Fernandez dominated every step of the way in the minors while being well ahead of his age. If Polanco was truly a top 10 prospect he'd have #'s to back it. This guy is over hyped and there's no doubt in my mind Betts will be a better fantasy player.

My point wasn't what their numbers showed, it was more of a, when you watch these guys play you know they are something special. I know that sounds prehistoric and I always look at the underlying numbers when making fantasy decisions, but there are exceptions. I'm terrible with specific baseball terminology and breaking down swing mechanics and build and future body projections and things of that nature, but I believe cmilne23 described it perfectly.

Your Betts comparisons were out of left field and don't belong in this thread.

For whatever reason you have a bias against Polanco even though every professional prospect projector disagrees with you....

Do yourself a favor and watch some Polanco in the spring, its good for your health.

You made out like a thief there.

I agree, Thanks.

And I drafted Betts with my 7th round pick so hopefully he pans out.

Made it past the round of cuts. Alot of OF'ers in camp yet. Maybe?

Made it past the round of cuts. Alot of OF'ers in camp yet. Maybe?

Pirates are notoriously patient. Marte tore it up in the Spring 2 seasons ago and got sent down. They won't burn the arbitration year and will wait for June/Super 2 deadline. Then, Polanco will come up and play everyday. I expect this kid to make an instant impact. He has the "it" factor that you just can't explain. I plan to draft and hold him as long as I can.

Not sure how much it helps, but it's gotta factor just a very little that he's on the 40 man? Right?

Pirates shopping Tabata and maybe even Snider. Good sign for Mr. Polanco!

He'll be up in June, no sooner. Unless the pirates offense really really struggles and they are losing games

Do we think he gets the call up if Tabata, Mccutchen, or Marte hit the DL, or do we think they'd actually continue with Snider?

Your main point is wrong. All you do with minor leaguers is look at numbers. There are other ways to judge players as well. Plate discipline, body type, maturity level etc. These are all 18 to 22 year old kids for the most part people are scouting. Some of them have not physically matured yet and are just starting to come into there own. Polanco has a projectable body type. He has a big frame, and with proper conditioning scouts see he could probably pack on a lot of muscle to that frame.

Matt Holliday slugged .427 in the minors. He skipped AAA despite only having a .708 OPS in AA as a 23 year old. But he had a big body, and he grew into size and the power came soon there after. He was not a product of Coors as he has hit, and hit well in every enviroment he has been in.

Fact of the matter with Polanco is that he already has good plate discipline, he already has plus speed, and he has shown over the last few years as his body has developed that the power is starting to come along. Part of scouting is projectability. Its easier to project Polanco than it is Betts due to stature. Polanco doesn't really have much in his way blocking him either, Betts is going to have to deal with Boegarts or Pedroia being at SS/2B for Boston for probably the next decade. So his path is blocked unless he is traded.

I love how you're going to tell me that all I do is look at numbers. Which is not the case. So let's not make this a contest about seeing players I probably attend more minor league games than you watch. I live smack dab in the middle of The Beloit Snappers, Kane County Cougars, and The Clinton LumberKings all about an hour away. Quad City River Bandits, Peoria Chiefs, Burlington Bees, and Cedar Rapids Kernels are all within 3 hours me too. As well subscribing to MiLB.tv

But let's be real. Numbers are the most important tool as numbers are what equal fantasy production. So when Betts' numbers (as well as just about every other top 25 prospect) pissed all over Polanco's numbers yes I'm going to favor Betts. Betts a year younger was more productive in Advanced A ball than Polanco was this year. Then factor in positional scarcity and Betts takes it by a mile in my eyes.

Betts may have some what of blockage in his path. But if he's as good as I think he is, there is no blocking that type of talent. Xander will just get moved to 3B and Betts will play SS.

I'm talking in terms of keeper leagues. Polanco is one of my biggest sell highs.. I think a lot of guys are better than Polanco. Franco, Addison Russell, Corey Seager, about every pitcher BA ranks in the top 33. Sure Polanco is a good prospect and projects to be a good major league player.

But my point here is, cash in on his current rank. BA currently has Polanco ranked 2 spots behind Bryant, 1 behind Archie Bradley, 4 ahead of Addison Russell, and ahead of Bundy and Syndergaard. Polanco isn't anywhere near the type of talent those guys have in my eyes.

I think Polanco is a safer bet than Seager, Franco, and that's where some of his high ranking comes from. Guys like Keith Law have Polanco being a good hitter somewhere along the lines of 20 hrs/30sbs, decent average. To me that's something you hold onto, even if it's not in a scarce position.

I don't see how you can compare pitchers to everyday position players in terms of talent. Just not a good comparison at all.

If your argument is that Polanco is a sell high, I think you're probably wrong just because there will be even more hype when he gets called up this year (unless you don't think that happens).

I know nothing about Betts or how this thread got turned into a Betts vs Polanco debate, but regardless it seems Polanco is much closer to debuting.

Would not be surprised if Polanco is the 1st "stud" minor leaguer called up. Kid knows the stikezone and can go get um in the OF. Not if Snider fails just how long they put up with it

If your argument is that Polanco is a sell high, I think you're probably wrong just because there will be even more hype when he gets called up this year (unless you don't think that happens).

I know nothing about Betts or how this thread got turned into a Betts vs Polanco debate, but regardless it seems Polanco is much closer to debuting.

His value may not have peaked yet. But I think you could trade him right now for a prospect package of 2 better players right now based off of perceived value.

Posted · Hidden by The Harsh, March 25, 2014 - No reason given
Hidden by The Harsh, March 25, 2014 - No reason given

I have Buxton just sitting on my bench waiting and waiting, should I drop him for Polanco? I'm kind of tempted.....

I have Buxton just sitting on my bench waiting and waiting, should I drop him for Polanco? I'm kind of tempted.....

if its a redraft league, I dont know why someone would own Buxton. Probably need that roster spot and he's probably not going to get called up until september if that.

Right now if it's a redraft league I probably wouldn't own Polonco either we just don't know when he will be up