Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Willsea33

Jason Castro 2013 Outlook

131 posts in this topic

Went 4-4 today after hitting 2 home runs the day prior. He is getting full time at-bats and has decent pop for a catcher.

I play musical chairs with my catcher position. Basically pick up whoever is hot at the position any given week. Castro is the latest flavor. A positive about Castro though, is he's actually young enough, and has a good enough prospect-profile where he might be a bit of a keeper/long term solution for me at Catcher this season.

Guys come out of nowhere every year .. and although he's benefiting from a .350 BABIP which is a good 50 points above his career average, he's also hitting for 50 more points of isolated power (ISO stabilizes quickly).

I think he can finish the year with 15 HRs, and a .260 BA, which would make him rosterable in standard yahoo/espn mixed leagues.

I originally drafted jesus montero in my AL league and well I needed a replacement off FA or trade, been playing without catcher for about week but now I welcome Castro as my new catchleader

Perez on bereavement this week so picked this guy up. Seems like a good talent.

over his last 7 games Castro has gone 14 for 27 with 3 HRs, 7 runs and 5 RBI.

out of the lineup today as they're facing a LHP and his splits vs lefties are putrid .161 / .212 / .194

I'm about as close to being all aboard as I can with Castro after his last 2 weeks of play. I didn't he realize he can't hit lefties but that's one of the things I kind of ignore when the numbers are there like they are right now. HRs are my friends.

Just picked up Grandal, but Im very tempted to pick up Castro if Grandal doesnt have a hot start and Castro keeps hitting like this

Best buck I spent on auction day and love the fact that recently he's been hitting 3rd in the order against righties

He was a decent prospect if I remember correctly so it's not like he came out of no where.

castro's been hot hot hot. been looking for a replacement for a mr. buck and i've found him for the time being. as another poster mentioned, he does dh which is nice. he seems to have good power and he's been scoring runs at a good clip.

thread should be bigger by now, dude is raking...batting third and thriving....

I play in a 7x7 league that counts BBs, OPS and AVG.

Weiters, for as great as his HR power is, is killing my team in terms of not getting walks, and not hitting for AVG.

I looked at the player ranking website Ziguana.com and found that over the last 30 days, Jason Castro is actually more valuable than Weiters so far.

His walks are going up, and he's hitting 3rd. I'm very intrigued...

Think this guy can keep it up ROS?

This guy was a top 100 Prospect in late 00's, I remember I had him as a minor leaguer but he struggled at first then got hurt and struggled to get/stay healthy. Minor League numbers were good not off the charts power though, but solid hitter. He went for a $1 in our 13-team 2 catcher auction, the guy also got Dom Brown for a $1 to go along with a pretty good core of keepers going in, needless to say he has been leading almost from the get go...

thread should be bigger by now, dude is raking...batting third and thriving....

Yeah I am surprised he isn't getting more attention. He is only 30% owned in Yahoo leagues and 43% in ESPN leagues but is the 9th ranked catcher on the ESPN Player Rater ahead of guys like Wieters, Arencibia, Pierzynski to name a few.

Over the last 30 days he is hitting .294/.374/.576 with 6 HR, 12 RBI, 15 R, 1 SB.

His wOBA is .346 behind only Mauer, Santana, Posey and Yadier Molina among catchers.

His BB% is down and K% up from last year, but his 26.3% LD% is 12th in MLB.

I have no idea if he'll keep it up all year, but he has the pedigree, hits 3rd and is nearly always in the lineup as he DH's quite a bit when he is not behind the plate. He is a must-own in all formats in my opinion.

just another reason to convince your leaguemates to switch to a 2-catcher league B)

He's batting in the 3 hole and gets the superstar catcher treatment by DH'ing as a breather. He will play more than guys like Rosario and Arencibia making him more valuable IMO. Must-own

2 people like this

He's hitting around the Mendoza line since I picked him up.

I regret dropping Sal Perez!

Hit .292 with 6 HRs in May ... ice cold in June thus far, .172 with 1 HR

I don't think Porter is concerned yet as he has hitting 3rd still

He is heating up again. HR's on Sat and Sun and two RBI 2B's tonight. This guy is quite the waiver wire gem.

Been rocking gattis and his inactivity last week probably cost me the week. So brought this guy back into the fold def liking what he brings to the table.