Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

HAzE024

Nick Castellanos OF Det

Shocked that there wasn't a topic on this guy. One of the best pure hitters in the minors and has been pushed along very aggressively.

2-3, BB, HR (8), RBI, (29) tonight.

ridiculous 421/500/711 in his last 10 games, 279/354/464 for the year. Just turned 21 and in AAA.

Rumors floating around that he will be coming up soon.....As a Tigers fan, this excites me.

God I hope he gets the call. 3B is a trainwreck for me on my Keeper League team (Moustakas and Todd Frazier).

God I hope he gets the call. 3B is a trainwreck for me on my Keeper League team (Moustakas and Todd Frazier).

Keep in mind that Castellanos could lose that 3rd base eligibility after the season.

3B for this year, but OF moving forward. Pretty exciting to see the kid get a shot soon.

With Dirks not playing real well and being a marginal talent....and Leyland's willingness to play the kids....Castellanos could have quite an opportunity to be part of a very explosive lineup. If they should lose Peralta due to PED stuff (which likely won't happen this year anyway) then they would certianly need to add a bat to the lineup. I realize different positions but the offense would need to be replaced. Stay tuned. I am guessing he is up within 10 days. Total guess but a lot of buzz around this and there is an obvious spot for him to at the very least be a platoon player in LF.

Posted · Hidden by The Harsh, June 6, 2013 - No reason given
Hidden by The Harsh, June 6, 2013 - No reason given

I'm going to probably drop a pitcher and pick him up. Don't need him but rather have him sit on my bench in case he explodes than to watch someone else enjoy his success. If that ends up being the case and Freese keeps hitting, might make a bundle and trade him. Wright at 3B and Castellanos at DH.

Posted · Hidden by The Harsh, June 6, 2013 - No reason given
Hidden by The Harsh, June 6, 2013 - No reason given

I'm going to probably drop a pitcher and pick him up. Don't need him but rather have him sit on my bench in case he explodes than to watch someone else enjoy his success. If that ends up being the case and Freese keeps hitting, might make a bundle and trade him. Wright at 3B and Castellanos at DH.

Thanks for the insight <_<

Per Motor City Bengals:

Top Detroit Tigers prospect Nick Castellanos had himself a fine day at the plate. He ended the night 2-4 plus a walk, with one of those hits being his eighth home run of the season. The most he’s had in a previous season was the 10 he hit last year — he’s on track to smash that total (at a more impressive level and home park too).

Per Al Avila:

"He's doing very well," Al Avila, the Tigers assistant general manager, and minor league overseer, said. "His batting average went down for a while, and he was striking out a bit, but those are all growing pains.

"He has shown really, really good skills at the plate as far as his ability to hit, and having the aggressiveness you want. This is only his third full season out of high school. This kid has really gone through the ranks fast."

He is hitting .262 for a team that until this week has had trouble on offense. And that hasn't helped a left fielder who bats cleanup and who often is pitched gingerly.

That, in turn, would help explain why Castellanos has walked 13 times in 41 games. His on-base average is .311, which is part of an OPS of .734.

Posted · Hidden by The Harsh, June 7, 2013 - No reason given
Hidden by The Harsh, June 7, 2013 - No reason given

Rendon or Castellanos this season ? (when Castellanos is called up)

I'm sure he'll eventually be a solid regular eventually, but keep in mind he's got no wheels whatsoever and has never hit more than 10 HR in any previous season. I think his ceiling is like a gap hitting Markakis-type guy.

I'm sure he'll eventually be a solid regular eventually, but keep in mind he's got no wheels whatsoever and has never hit more than 10 HR in any previous season. I think his ceiling is like a gap hitting Markakis-type guy.

So is he good for Avg & OBP?

I think he'll be ave/obp. He's hit some HR's but like Omar's Comin' said, he hasn't hit over 10. He's young and who knows if he's found his swing to knock them out. But, if his rate keeps up, he can break out to 20 / yr.

At this point, a Markakis is a good comparison which isn't a bad thing. One just hopes he can double his HR production since he won't be blazing it up with steals.

Markakis is a great comparison....and for real baseball and fantasy baseball, I would take it. I do think Castellanos has the potential to develop into more of a power hitter then Markakis but time will tell....I just hope that time starts real soon. Andy Dirks is a platoon/bench player who needs to return to his role....so the opportunity is there for the LF job to be taken.

Yeah, I meant nothing bad whatsoever by comparing him to Markakis; I love his game. I just think Castellanos' recent 10-15 game surge might be more of an abberration than a sign of what's to come, at least in the immediate future.

One other thing: I don't mean to hijack this thread, but does anyone know how long this "probationary" thing lasts for new accounts?

he's hit 9 homers and 18 doubles (you know how we like them to turn into doubles). I still believe in his power getting to the mid 20 HR range.

Remember he just turned 21 and is in AAA 3 years out of high school...

I just read how he is doing in the minors. Is he worth grabbing now before it's too late, or will he not come up in June?

I just read how he is doing in the minors. Is he worth grabbing now before it's too late, or will he not come up in June?

NM.

With Andy Dirks being sidelined with an injury for the next couple of days does anything think he gets the call soon?