Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Zombies

Kris Bryant - 3B CHC

1,458 posts in this topic

31 HR in 228 at bats!!! I'll take it...By all accounts the best power hitter in the draft...The Cubs continue to stockpile potentially elite hitters...

Even if half those guys hit they're going to have a strong middle of the order in a couple years.

epstein is a boss.

Bryant is going to make Houston look silly for passing on him

Pissed Houston passed on him as a fan. I feel even more embarrased to be an Astros fan tonight. Nice snag by the Cubs.

Does he stay at 3B? Rizzo seems to have 1B locked down for a bit...

That's the plan, but the backup plan for him is RF, not 1B

my favorite player in the draft, loved him going to Chi town. I think he can stay at 3B, it might all depend on baez but I hope he can.

Regardless, his bat will play anywhere. Pick him up ASAP in keeper leagues...

I think the Troy Glaus comparisons are right on.

If he makes it, you're looking at a .260 hitter with 40/40 2B/HR and +.100 OBP -- and of course the potential to hit for a higer average. Very excited at the prospect of he and Rizzo going back to back with hopefully an improved Starlin Castro and a high-OBP player setting the table (Whoever takes that Dejesus slot in the future).

I hope he mashes right out of the gate. He's a year older than Baez and may even make the Bigs sooner. I think Soler is the safest of their high-end talent, so you should see a legit middle-of-the-order around Bryant in 2015. With that line-up and home ballpark, his potential as an impact bat is impressive.

Really hoped he would have gone to Chicago as many mocks projected (most had Chicago taking Gray/Appel). Still a great prospect and a nice get for the Cubs. And Chicago isn't a bad place for a hitter. Just not Colorado good.

I've seen a lot of posts from Astros fans complaining about the Astros taking Appel #1. Most thought Bryant should have went #1. I'm so glad the Cubs got him.

1 person likes this

I've seen a lot of posts from Astros fans complaining about the Astros taking Appel #1. Most thought Bryant should have went #1. I'm so glad the Cubs got him.

me too, this kid is a patient home run hitter that doesnt strike out a lot...im soo optimistic about the Cubs future.. Soler, Rizzo, Almora, Baez, Bryant, Jackson, Castro, Concepcion. Next is the year they draft a ace arm and probably start looking to sign one as well.

I wonder if they'll start him in high A or AA since he is more advanced?

I imagine the Cubs will take it slowly as they have no reason to rush him and are mindful of his service clock. Much easier to start him at A ball and force the Cubs to go through 3 promotions. If he started at AA and raked it would put the Cubs in an awkward position.

The pitcher would have to be much much better in order for it to be worth the risk to take him over the hitter (hitters generally carry less risk because of the high injury propensity of pitchers). I don't really know much about either prospect, but I do know Appel is kindof a weak #1 pick (this year's class is a bit light on top shelf talent). Maybe the Astros were scared off of Bryant's swing having a few too many holes (a .250 hitting Troy Glaus clone projection isn't exactly a ringing endorsement for a prospect, especially if that's his upside/ceiling). In the end, Appel is probably closer to the big leagues, and that's got some value in and of itself. Pretty much anything can and will happen on the road to the big leagues, so I'd hesitate to rate any team's draft any time soon. Time will tell.

I think Appel presented none of his prior sign ability problems for Houston (as a native) so they sorta had to take him.

I wonder if they'll start him in high A or AA since he is more advanced?

He'll only need 1 year in the minors, he's very advanced.

Any news on him? Has he signed yet? I heard he hit 30 homeruns in 60 games, but that he played in a very weak hitter friendly league. Is this true? Any comparisons to other major league hitters who played in his league in college? How did they do in College?

This thread title is a little premature... he's not a Cub yet!

RW blurb today notes Boras is looking for an above slot deal for him, while the Cubs want him below.

Possible outcomes include him signing (wild guess: at-slot), or returning to college...

1 person likes this

RW front page is saying that he may not sign due to them being far off in negotiations and him wanting a bigger bonus than Appel or the #1 slot. He played for San Diego so not in a major conference, but there was no one in his conference within 20 HR of him that I see looking at the stats. http://www.wccsports.com/sports/m-basebl/stats/2012-2013/lgplyrs.html

I'd say it should be a major priority for the Cubs to bridge the gap on the bonus money and get him signed up.

1 person likes this

Are we talking about the difference of about 1 million or so between what they want to pay and what he wants? Why not just give him slot and get it over with? I don't quite understanding haggling over small money like that with someone they've invested such a high pick in.

He's not going back to school because it doesn't make financial sense to do so. Even if he went back to school, the only better thing that could happen would be that he goes #1 and someone gives him slot or above. With the draft being more solid next year, there is a chance he could actually slide a bit, especially if his performance is not as good. Also the Cubs could just nab him again at #2 next year and he'd have even less leverage this this time.

They have over 2 weeks to work out a deal, and the Cubs will get it done. Just negotiating tactics right now, although you've got to assume they had a salary range discussed when they drafted him.

I'm pretty sure this is nothing more than the negotiations running their course. Boras is trying to push them to the edge and Hoyer/Epstein are calling their (his) bluff. I would be very, very surprised if he didn't sign for right around slot at the deadline.