Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Zombies

Kris Bryant - 3B CHC

Posted · Hidden by phizzics, March 16, 2015 - No reason given
Hidden by phizzics, March 16, 2015 - No reason given

I just admitted I glossed over what you said about McKinney and Russell. I, at least, can admit when I've made a mistake.

You're just a stubborn schmuck who knows everything.

I've admitted NUMEROUS times on this message board when I've made a mistake. Multiple times.

Just like above... you tend to latch onto most anything I post and immediately go into argumentative mode. I do not want to go into a back and forth with you again. However, when you're consntantly misrepresenting what I'm posting, often, I'm going to point out what I actually did post.

popcorn_seinfeld.gif

I wish we could just go to Athens and ostracize one of you two. I don't care which, but having both of you is truly terrible. You make every Cubs related thread about you. This is the Kris Bryant thread.

I just admitted I glossed over what you said about McKinney and Russell. I, at least, can admit when I've made a mistake.

"The health of the franchise" is not something people say very often, if at all. It is, in point of fact, extremely ambiguous under the circumstances.

What? You hear people talking about health of the franchise all the time. There was no discussion about Kris Byrant's health. FO folks talk about decisions like this impacting the future health of the franchise all the time.

It's sad that the Cubs were probably half-hoping he would have a bad spring to make the move back to AAA more palatable to the fans.

Not going to happen!

Yes - you're right. Two of the most accomplished FO men in baseball were hoping one of their top prospects, someone who is going to lead their franchise for the next 10-15 years, was going to have a bad Spring Training.

I'd make a bet they are beyond ecstatic that he's doing well this Spring and could care less about fan "backlash" if they chose to start him at AAA. They're probably more concerned about the future health of the franchise. Just a hunch.

In fact, there's been very minimal "uproar" (if at all) about Bryant possibly starting in AAA this season.

That's because the season hasn't started yet and Bryant hasn't been sent down yet, my unbiased, objective friend. If the Cubs struggle out the gate, rest assured: there will be backlash.

Just a hunch: Theo/Jed are more concerned about the health of the franchise vs. a supposed "backlash" from fans. And I'm fairly confident that's a very unbiased statement.

I'm a life long cubs fan and from Chicago, and I have to say Chicago sports fans can be pretty dumb on the whole. Worrying about what Chicago sports fans think shouldn't even cross their minds....

It's gonna be awesome, two opening days.

The second being Bryant's call-up. At that point this will all be a moot point to the Cubs fans.

The bigger picture being change in the current system. But who in the Windy City will care at that point? They may care up to the minute he steps on the field, but not after. Did I mention,two opening days!

Who is not looking forward to it!?!

On the topic of when Bryant should be brought up - here was a great tweet this morning from Peter Gammons.

@pgammo: Kris Bryant in Iowa means Cubs have him 7 years, not 6. Why talk about opening the season for a few games in 30-50 degrees?

I don't know the right answer here.

Lastly: What if in 2020, the Cubs don't have Bryant and miss the playoffs by 2 games? Games Bryant could have helped having him for a full season (in his prime - ie: optimal performance), but signed elsewhere because Boras never lets his clients NOT test free agency?

The Cubs did finish last in their division last year. They're still at the stage of having good young talent and be happy if the season is interesting. Thinking that's more important than a year of control of maybe a great talent is silly.

They might do it anyway. When Theo was in Boston Ellsbury started with the team his rookie year. But for them to do it hoping for an extra win makes no sense.

At this point it looks like the Cubs are going to have to pay him big time to keep him around anyway. Whether it's 6 years or 7 years from now, this guy will be making bank. For a team with a decently high payroll, I'd personally be starting him in the majors.

At the end of the day though, this is still a marginal amount of games we're talking about. I don't think the issue is as big as everyone is making it.

This may be good news...from CBS Sports.

Cubs general manager Theo Epstein told MLB Network's Jon Morosi that the decision hasn't been made.

"We haven't picked the roster yet," Epstein said. "He's putting on a show offensively and working hard on his defense."

Epstein also denied that finances would play a role in where Bryant starts the season. "We'll make a baseball decision as we always do," he said.

Though it could always be GMspeak.

This may be good news...from CBS Sports.

Cubs general manager Theo Epstein told MLB Network's Jon Morosi that the decision hasn't been made.

"We haven't picked the roster yet," Epstein said. "He's putting on a show offensively and working hard on his defense."

Epstein also denied that finances would play a role in where Bryant starts the season. "We'll make a baseball decision as we always do," he said.

Though it could always be GMspeak.

The interesting thing is you also won't find a quote where Theo Epstein said that Kris Bryant will start in the minors even prior to the show he's put up so far in Spring Training.

We all know he will be up 3 weeks in. Doesn't matter if you agree. What are thoughts on his projections? 25 homers, 80 RBI, .270/.335/.490

We all know he will be up 3 weeks in. Doesn't matter if you agree. What are thoughts on his projections? 25 homers, 80 RBI, .270/.335/.490

Hard to really predict batting average, but I'll say he hits .250-ish since its his rookie season

I think .270 is high, .260 is what I think people are even HOPING for when it comes to a player like Bryant. .235-.240 is not out of the question. I would put my money on the .250 range.

I want to say that projecting a rookie for a .490 SLG is high, but Streamer, ZiPS and all of those have him between .490-.500, and it just seems like he's that kind of player.

I think .270 is high, .260 is what I think people are even HOPING for when it comes to a player like Bryant. .235-.240 is not out of the question. I would put my money on the .250 range.

I want to say that projecting a rookie for a .490 SLG is high, but Streamer, ZiPS and all of those have him between .490-.500, and it just seems like he's that kind of player.

Can people PLEASE stop referring to the Steamer projection system as 'Streamer'? I see it at least once a day on these forums and it's starting to become one of my pet peeves.

ZiPS gave Bryant the best projection it has ever given a rookie player fwiw

Can people PLEASE stop referring to the Steamer projection system as 'Streamer'? I see it at least once a day on these forums and it's starting to become one of my pet peeves.

When I say Steamer.. I think of Cleveland.. Just doesn't jive with me..

When I say Steamer.. I think of Cleveland.. Just doesn't jive with me..

824img_12.png

What an absolute joke Scott Boras is. He's just downright horrible for sports in general.

The only reason he's upset? IF the Cubs decide to have Bryant in the minors for 12 days, his (meaning Boras' comission) is delayed a year.

http://www.bleedcubbieblue.com/2015/3/17/8238659/scott-boras-cubs-kris-bryant

I don't even think he's upset, just doing his job to get the most money ASAP.

Not in the lineup today due to shoulder?? Is he hurt?

He's been hurt since before his 2 homer game.

Bryant and Boras may not want to sign an extension with the Cubs after they hold him down. So there's that. Gain an extra year of service time and in the process you run the risk of alienating Bryant. Doesn't seem like a good trade off, if that is indeed what transpires. Players and agents hold petty grudges just like the rest of us.

He'll hold a grudge for 6 years? Possibly, but ultimately, money will talk. As long as the Cubs are willing to pay him the $$ the market demands, which they can and should do, he could be a Cub for a very long time.