Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Zombies

Kris Bryant - 3B CHC

He'll hold a grudge for 6 years? Possibly, but ultimately, money will talk. As long as the Cubs are willing to pay him the $$ the market demands, which they can and should do, he could be a Cub for a very long time.

If another team offers him just as much as the Cubs, he might be inclined to take the money and run. All I'm saying is it certainly doesn't endear the organization to him by keeping him down in AAA now when realistically he was MLB-ready last season. Plus, the Cubs have been outbid many times before. Wouldn't be the first time. And now they're acting like a small market team and crying poor.

This could backfire in a major way in the future, whether Cubs fans want to admit it or not.

He'll hold a grudge for 6 years? Possibly, but ultimately, money will talk. As long as the Cubs are willing to pay him the $$ the market demands, which they can and should do, he could be a Cub for a very long time.

If another team offers him just as much as the Cubs, he might be inclined to take the money and run. All I'm saying is it certainly doesn't endear the organization to him by keeping him down in AAA now when realistically he was MLB-ready last season. Plus, the Cubs have been outbid many times before. Wouldn't be the first time. And now they're acting like a small market team and crying poor.

This could backfire in a major way in the future, whether Cubs fans want to admit it or not.

But the Cubs have 7 years to sign a contract before he's allowed to talk to other teams. He's most likely going to be a cub for passed arbitration if they want him. A good contract within his arbitration years will be signed if he's deserving just like what yelich is doing now

They're not crying poor. They're using common sense. What is so hard to understand about this? Even if he thinks he was ready last season, there was no need to rush his development. The Cubs were awful and there's plenty he needed to work on. The difference between Mike Olt (a highly touted prospect himself at 3B) and Bryant for 10 games is highly unlikely to cost the Cubs a 2015 playoff spot. Best-case scenario, they're a .500 team this year. Sure, he could hold a grudge. If he does, he can hit the road. The Cubs should be able to act like a major big-market team by the time his free agency comes if they can get some advantageous TV deals in place.

What an absolute joke Scott Boras is. He's just downright horrible for sports in general.

The only reason he's upset? IF the Cubs decide to have Bryant in the minors for 12 days, his (meaning Boras' comission) is delayed a year.

http://www.bleedcubbieblue.com/2015/3/17/8238659/scott-boras-cubs-kris-bryant

It is boras' job to back his client. if Bryant earns the 3b job, then it does suck for him to not be under the lights at wrigley on opening night against St. Louis.

This is awful.

This isn't anything that doesn't happen to anyone else. "It's a business."

And there's a ridiculous amount of time between now and his free agency.

This will be a fart in the wind.

I think you're underestimating the common sense of Boras/Bryant. Sure they want him to start the year in the majors, but they realize the Cubs are going to do what's financially prudent and any other team would do. They're going to make a fuss, but ultimately they'll deal with it. They still have him for those 6 or 7 years. It's not liking he's going away any time soon.

6 years from now or whenever Bryant is a FA, he's going to make his decision a lot more on how those 6 years went and where the Cubs are as a contender rather than how he was treated that one season keeping in mind that EVERY other team would do the same. And obviously the money.

BTW. If the Cubs did call him up early and let him play. There could easily be something that goes sour in that year or 7 that might cause a rift between the Cubs and Bryant. You think he's going to stay loyal because of something the Cubs did 6 years ago? No.

Ultimately if Bryant wants to be a cub this will all work out just fine for him. The cubs will renegotiate his contract well before the 7 years is up... But having an extra year to hold over Bryant does make it more likely that they are the only team that will have that advantage.

Realistically, the only way this hurts Bryant's bottom line too much is if he wants to play elsewhere and has to wait 7 years for the opportunity to go elsewhere.

I think you're underestimating the common sense of Boras/Bryant. Sure they want him to start the year in the majors, but they realize the Cubs are going to do what's financially prudent and any other team would do. They're going to make a fuss, but ultimately they'll deal with it. They still have him for those 6 or 7 years. It's not liking he's going away any time soon.

6 years from now or whenever Bryant is a FA, he's going to make his decision a lot more on how those 6 years went and where the Cubs are as a contender rather than how he was treated that one season keeping in mind that EVERY other team would do the same. And obviously the money.

BTW. If the Cubs did call him up early and let him play. There could easily be something that goes sour in that year or 7 that might cause a rift between the Cubs and Bryant. You think he's going to stay loyal because of something the Cubs did 6 years ago? No.

Very good post here, Brock. Thinking that somehow Bryant and Boras are going to hold this against the Cubs 6 years later is hilarious.

Kris Bryant, 6 years from now, is going to sign with whatever club makes the most sense for him from a competitive and financial standpoint. If Bryant goes on to average .280/35/110 every year, trust me.. the Cubs probably won't be outbid.

Another one. Can't see him not starting in the majors.

Can't see him not starting in the majors.

Well the good news is you won't have to wait long to see him not start in the majors.

PS: Another one what? Did he homer? I didnt think cubs started yet.

Another one. Can't see him not starting in the majors.

It was decided long before spring training how this was going down.

how early is too early in a redraft? I like him over pablo, longo, frazier, etc where do you rank him among 3B?? what pick is safe to land him?? I figured this would be a good discussion and not really a bench coach post, as it will help a lot of people. the hype is gaining momentum, so it might be a good idea to reach for him a little bit.

how early is too early in a redraft? I like him over pablo, longo, frazier, etc where do you rank him among 3B?? what pick is safe to land him?? I figured this would be a good discussion and not really a bench coach post, as it will help a lot of people. the hype is gaining momentum, so it might be a good idea to reach for him a little bit.

i have seager frazier longo all over bryant just based on their floors

i would think the majority would take chris davis over bryant or they should be drafted right next to each other

im targeting at 83 overall but have seen chris davis and bryant go top 65 in the last few mocks i have been in and bryant has gone top 50 as well

anything before that i will not even think about taking bryant

also there is always that one wild card in every draft that will take the players he wants no matter rd so i dont think there is a safe rd you can guarantee yourself a chance to get bryant

i have seager frazier longo all over bryant just based on their floors

i would think the majority would take chris davis over bryant or they should be drafted right next to each other

im targeting at 83 overall but have seen chris davis and bryant go top 65 in the last few mocks i have been in and bryant has gone top 50 as well

anything before that i will not even think about taking bryant

also there is always that one wild card in every draft that will take the players he wants no matter rd so i dont think there is a safe rd you can guarantee yourself a chance to get bryant

3b is ridiculously deep. No idea how you don't have Beltre and Donaldson there too. Personally Arenado is iin the top 3 for me. Unless you just meant the range. with those other 3 guys.

So the top tier to me is Beltre, Arenado, Donaldson, Longoria, Frazier Seager. That's the order for me, but not set on it yet.

I own Bryant in my Dynasty league, so to say I don't have high expectations for him is crazy. But gun to my head for this year? David Wright, Chris Davis, Carlos Santana, Machado, Carpenter (more in OBP leagues), Sandoval Aramis,, and Zimmerman to me are probably safer. I really like Wright, Davis, and Machado this year especially. If you're in a shallow league and can secrue Bryant AND one of those guys, the risk may be worth it.

Some of those guys might not sound exciting, but Aramis bats clean up in a hitters park. He could get 23 bombs hitting 280 and a lot of RBIs.

Bryant has some monster upside, but banking on it this year in a competitive league and reaching seems like a mistake. Most guys do not hit the ground running the first time in the majors. Even Mike Trout didnt.

3b is deeper than it's been in a really long time. Bryant is going to be a stud, but no guarantees it happens this year.

Bryant just went for $20 in our 10 team | mixed | head to head | roto auction.

Am I the only one around here who believes that's crazy? I wanted him, but not at that price. Nope/

This isn't fantasy related, but is a nice break from the service time issue.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/mlb-big-league-stew/kris-bryant-homers--then-gives-his-bat-to-a-little-kid-and-it-s-totally-adorable-180919657.html

Love seeing stories like this, especially when it's coming from a young kid who has every reason in the world to let things get to his head. Makes it so easy to root for the guy.

Super 2 is the dumbest thing ever. There is no baseball reason why he isn't one of their best 9 players right now.

This should be negotiated at the next bargaining agreement. The players should be in more of a position to have more power when it comes to their salaries. The players play the game, not the owners and should not be jerked around like this.
I am sure the owners wished they didn't have to make an economic decision and just play their best dudes. It's just the rules.
The situation sucks every time it happens, but there is really nobody to blame except the players and their union. This is the system they agreed too. They want more money in the pockets of the veterans and making "concessions" by severely limiting the pay of prospects/rookies who are not even part of that union yet is one of the ways they get what they want.

If all players who are presently pre-arb and arb eligible were paid at close to market rate, that means the average value of FA contracts would drop by a pretty significant aount.

Fellas, I think we're beside the point here. Whether he starts, or whether he doesn't, he's going to RAKE NAH'M SAYIN'

Bryant just went for $20 in our 10 team | mixed | head to head | roto auction.

Am I the only one around here who believes that's crazy? I wanted him, but not at that price. Nope/

Yes that's crazy considering the depth of 3b. He's going to have go pretty nuts in his first stint in the majors to earn that.

Him and Soler might be the best hitters on that team this year.