Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Zombies

Kris Bryant - 3B CHC

Posted · Hidden by phatrat, March 25, 2015 - No reason given
Hidden by phatrat, March 25, 2015 - No reason given

i'm taking him in the top 8 rounds... hoping to pair him with Arenado. I know CSB...

i'm taking him in the top 8 rounds... hoping to pair him with Arenado. I know CSB...

I was drafted in front of you - GULP!

1371677902000-appel2-1306191740_4_3.jpg

Both have the same career WAR ;)

Normally Spring Training means NOTHING.

However, the way Bryant is hitting, it might mean something.

Tough to say.

Tough to say.

It's further proof on top of last years totals that he's ready. Last year he hit .111 and had an OPS of .644 in SP. This year it's .480 with a OPS of 2.072. I think it's safe to pencil him in as a +.260 hitter and 25+ HR's as a rookie.

Davis is a bad comp. Lefty for 1, no plate disicpline for 2.

Glaus is the easy comp, but how about Mark McGwire? Seems like every fly ball goes out of the park.

Tough to say.

I've always thought that Spring Training gets a little misconstrued by analysts in a certain way. What I mean by this is that you typically get people either giving to much weight to spring training or saying it means nothing. I typically tend to state that, while spring training stats mean absolutely nothing, viewing a hitters swing, approach, pitch recognition, where he's driving the ball, if he's driving the ball, etc. all are very important to me. Bryant LOOKS good. I really don't even care about the number of Homers, nine or ten or three or twelve or seven. Don't care. What I do care about is the way he seems to be just "on."

Dan O'Dowd just said if the Rockies had drafted him they would have immediately moved him to outfield.

Dan O'Dowd just said if the Rockies had drafted him they would have immediately moved him to outfield.

Many pages ago (this offseason) I had commented that he's not a very good defensive third baseman. This Spring Training has shown I was wrong. He's actually a downright horrible defensive third basemen at this point in his career. If he was the Cubs starting third basemen a week from this Sunday, he'll lose the Cubs games with his glove.

The move to the outfield is not surprising in the least. Defense, folks, is a huge part of the game and something Bryant has to figure out.

Saying that, he's an extraordinary power hitter & should be denting balls into the new jumbotron they're about to erect this week in left field.

He's been reported as butchering balls at 3rd base this Spring Training, so the minors start of the season is warranted for him to get some work in the outfield anyways. And the Cubs will get him for an entire year extra for just 2 weeks of minor time. Well worth it.

Posted · Hidden by phatrat, March 26, 2015 - No reason given
Hidden by phatrat, March 26, 2015 - No reason given

Bryant & Gallardo were swapped in my keeper league for Arrenado & Cueto. Bryant will hit a wall at some point...his trade value right now may be at it's peak.

Yep thats a good haul for the Bryant owner, big time. I rather have Arenado.

Bryant & Gallardo were swapped in my keeper league for Arrenado & Cueto. Bryant will hit a wall at some point...his trade value right now may be at it's peak.

Really? At its peak? I hope you're only referring to this year.

Yea, this year... but would it be a completely unrealistic scenario if his shoulder bothers him, he levels off, and you're never able to get a top 10 SP and top 5 3b out of him. That is a big haul.

Without knowing the keeper restrictions it's difficult to say. But if it were like a dyasty league or a keeper league where you keep 8 or more guys....

Arenado and Bryant are both 23. Arenado could be a 290 25 guy in Colarado, that's probably better than what Bryant will turn into, if Bryant reaches his ceiling then Arenado won't be far behind in value. On top of that you're going to get a top 10 SP who's 29 and has only 1200 IP under his belt.

No brainer for me. Arenado vs Bryant career wise, it's pretty damn close to project in 5x5 leagues. Arenado is barely older.

No brainer, and I doubt you ever get an equal 3b to Bryant in the future along with an Ace. I'd be very comfortably selling on that without holding out. There's a decent/better chance Arenado is the better fantasy 3b now and long term.

Unless he hits 10 home runs in his first month while hitting around 300, I doubt his value gets much higher than this haul.

EDIT: Oh, I didnt even factor in theres a high chance Bryant doesnt have 3b elligibility ever again.

Without knowing the keeper restrictions it's difficult to say. But if it were like a dyasty league or a keeper league where you keep 8 or more guys....

Arenado and Bryant are both 23. Arenado could be a 290 25 guy in Colarado, that's probably better than what Bryant will turn into, if Bryant reaches his ceiling then Arenado won't be far behind in value. On top of that you're going to get a top 10 SP who's 29 and has only 1200 IP under his belt.

No brainer for me. Arenado vs Bryant career wise, it's pretty damn close to project in 5x5 leagues. Arenado is barely older.

No brainer, and I doubt you ever get an equal 3b to Bryant in the future along with an Ace. I'd be very comfortably selling on that without holding out. There's a decent/better chance Arenado is the better fantasy 3b now and long term.

Unless he hits 10 home runs in his first month while hitting around 300, I doubt his value gets much higher than this haul.

EDIT: Oh, I didnt even factor in theres a high chance Bryant doesnt have 3b elligibility ever again.

And Nolan is an exceptional defender. Not an issue with him.

I agree that it's a hell of a win for the Cueto/Arenado side

Many pages ago (this offseason) I had commented that he's not a very good defensive third baseman. This Spring Training has shown I was wrong. He's actually a downright horrible defensive third basemen at this point in his career. If he was the Cubs starting third basemen a week from this Sunday, he'll lose the Cubs games with his glove.

The move to the outfield is not surprising in the least. Defense, folks, is a huge part of the game and something Bryant has to figure out.

Saying that, he's an extraordinary power hitter & should be denting balls into the new jumbotron they're about to erect this week in left field.

O'Dowd broke it down with video showing that his long arm action is a problem and that being a "waist bender" leads to poor footwork as well.

Cubs on espn tonight. Bryant supposed to be in LF for the game

Really starting to think that if Bryant shows well in LF the next couple of weeks that he breaks camp as the starting left fielder. Means for the future Schwarber has got to stick at catcher.

2015 lineup (in no particular order)

CF - Fowler

LF - Bryant

RF - Soler

1B - Rizzo

2B - Alcantara/LaStella (maybe Baez?)

SS - Castro

3B - Olt/Alcantara/LaStella

C - Montero

Future

CF - Alcantara/Almora

LF - Bryant

RF - Soler

1B - Rizzo

2B - Alcantara/LaStella (maybe Baez?)

SS - Russell

3B - Castro

C - Schwarber

I listened to yesterday's Baseball HQ podcast and they had Rob Gordon on, who's their minor league analyst.

For what it's worth he said Bryant wasn't a good defender at 3rd, but hardly bad. Said he wasn't "Miggy at 3rd bad", he was "decent". I don't personally know, just stating what I heard. He has 3b eligibility this year, I'm guessing there's a good chance he wont have it the year after or long term.

The way the Baez is going the Cubs might want to give Bryant a nice lengthy tryout at 3B so they could slot Russel or Castro at 2nd so LF opens up for Schwarber.

So many hypotheticals with the potential options...

I don't know that one start in the OF changes his plans at 3b.

Again...

You're

The way the Baez is going the Cubs might want to give Bryant a nice lengthy tryout at 3B so they could slot Russel or Castro at 2nd so LF opens up for Schwarber.

Not sure if I said this in this thread or another...

Don't assume the Cubs will keep all of: Almora, Baez, Soler, Schwarber, Russell, Bryant, Castro etc.

Again...

You're

Don't assume the Cubs will keep all of: Almora, Baez, Soler, Schwarber, Russell, Bryant, Castro etc.

In my hypo above they traded Almora/Baez...Alacantara sticks as the super utility as Maddon has Cubs resign OBP machine Fowler.

The Cubs have yet to show their intentions on cashing on this glutton of prospects. Next year would be a the year to make a move like that so they can see how things shake out this year.

Definitely a possibility if they are competing this year too. Trade deadline, send the Reds a Baez package for Cueto.

After all they are 12/1 odds to win the WS (don't do it Cub fans!)

Again...

You're

In my hypo above they traded Almora/Baez...Alacantara sticks as the super utility as Maddon has Cubs resign OBP machine Fowler.

The Cubs have yet to show their intentions on cashing on this glutton of prospects. Next year would be a the year to make a move like that so they can see how things shake out this year.

Definitely a possibility if they are competing this year too. Trade deadline, send the Reds a Baez package for Cueto.

After all they are 12/1 odds to win the WS (don't do it Cub fans!)

There's really not been a reason to. Stockpile as much talent as you can and let it shake out. If they are remotely in the race come trade season, I have no doubts they'd consider being shoppers.