Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Zombies

Kris Bryant - 3B CHC

Ye, Boras sees long term deals as locking down a major player before his big pay day, which in many ways is true, but it's also the player locking himself into wealth despite what happens to him. It's safer for the player... Boras just doesn't care.

I don't get the incredibly high hype this guy has. someone please tell me what Bryant has done in the majors.

he has had some impressive numbers in the minors, but he has also had high K numbers. Bryant could be a star, or he could be another one of the players that are great in the minors that can't produce much in the majors. to me those K numbers are concerning.

I think it's better for the Cubs and for Bryant if he starts the season in the minors where he could likely hit great and then come up to the Cubs where he could continue that.

Can't wait to watch the controversy escalate with every close game the Cubs lose...

I think the bigger controversy needs to surround Major League baseball. The arbitration rules and Super 2 are not good for the game. I wish baseball would figure out a way so that teams break camp with their best players. I think they need to make the window longer until they get Super two, forcing teams to face not playing a guy for longer amount of time so that it encourages them to bring the young guns up earlier. So, basically teams would have to wait until July/August to get that extra year of service instead of late May, early June. There needs to be a better way...

He has high strikeout numbers....

I don't get the incredibly high hype this guy has. someone please tell me what Bryant has done in the majors.

he has had some impressive numbers in the minors, but he has also had high K numbers. Bryant could be a star, or he could be another one of the players that are great in the minors that can't produce much in the majors. to me those K numbers are concerning.

I think it's better for the Cubs and for Bryant if he starts the season in the minors where he could likely hit great and then come up to the Cubs where he could continue that.

What can he learn in the minors? Sure he strikes out a bit, he might always do that. But if you hit .300 and knock in 50 HRs, does it really matter? Stanton was brought up with similar contact and strikeout rate issues. That hasnt slowed him down from MVP discussion.

To develop at this point, Bryant needs to see MLB pitching. He might struggle, and have to make adjustments. But even if he strikeouts out a ton he probably will be a RoY candidate.

Baez is the one which people saw issues with in AAA last year. He has a Moustakas like profile (but with more strikeouts) going on. Bryant has a Stanton profile to me. Something that isnt perfect, but can be a very good player right away.

Can't wait to watch the controversy escalate with every close game the Cubs lose...

I think the bigger controversy needs to surround Major League baseball. The arbitration rules and Super 2 are not good for the game. I wish baseball would figure out a way so that teams break camp with their best players. I think they need to make the window longer until they get Super two, forcing teams to face not playing a guy for longer amount of time so that it encourages them to bring the young guns up earlier. So, basically teams would have to wait until July/August to get that extra year of service instead of late May, early June. There needs to be a better way...

The players agreed to these rules. The veterans agreed to this so they could get more money. MiLB not unionized. People like to complain, but they still buy tickets, still watch baseball and still play fantasy.

Cubs are doing what was agreed upon.

Really? You don't get the hype? Dude hit 43 bombs last year in under 600 ABs as a 22-year old while hitting .325 in AA and AAA. That's crazy.

His K numbers aren't that high considering his age and the level he was playing at. He did massive damage at AAA while also showing great BB% numbers. To me that is key. The fact he is taking walks shows that he has an idea of the strike zone despite the K rate. Bryant is walking at a 14.5% clip, which is elite to go with that elevated K rate. Unlike Baez, who has no idea of the zone, Bryant has an idea of what a strike and a ball is and that will help him translate that power. As well as Bryant's ability to drive the ball the other way, something Baez can't seem to do at all.

I've seen enough of Bryant to think that the K rate won't be a problem for him, just like it wasn't much of a problem for Giancarlo Stanton when he got to the big leagues. For some guys it is a problem, mainly because they can't lay off pitches out of the zone. Bryant isn't one of those guys and that is why he will be a legit threat to hit 40 bombs right out of the gate.

Seriously, go look at Stanton's minor league profile and Bryant's. There are a lot of similarities and that is why there is a lot of hype around this guy.

He has high strikeout numbers....

What can he learn in the minors? Sure he strikes out a bit, he might always do that. But if you hit .300 and knock in 50 HRs, does it really matter? Stanton was brought up with similar contact and strikeout rate issues. That hasnt slowed him down from MVP discussion.

To develop at this point, Bryant needs to see MLB pitching. He might struggle, and have to make adjustments. But even if he strikeouts out a ton he probably will be a RoY candidate.

Baez is the one which people saw issues with in AAA last year. He has a Moustakas like profile (but with more strikeouts) going on. Bryant has a Stanton profile to me. Something that isnt perfect, but can be a very good player right away.

I was writing the same thing at the same time. LOL

The players agreed to these rules. The veterans agreed to this so they could get more money. MiLB not unionized. People like to complain, but they still buy tickets, still watch baseball and still play fantasy.

Cubs are doing what was agreed upon.

I get that. It still seems like there should be a better way so that the best players are always on the field. This is a clear case where the extra year is what is sending him down when it would probably be better for the product if Bryant were there on opening day.

no doubt he has power potential, but many players before have had big power numbers in the minors and not produced in the majors.

40 HR (or even 30 HR) with even .280+ AVG is really nice, but Bryant could also produce like George Springer (.231/.336/.468/.804/ 33 K%) or even Jon Singleton (.168/.285/.335/.620/ 37.0 K%).

Stanton didn't K as much in the minors as Bryant has in the minors. don't players typically K more in the majors to better pitching than they did in the minors?

if Bryant is more similar to Adam Dunn, is that acceptable?

no doubt he has power potential, but many players before have had big power numbers in the minors and not produced in the majors.

40 HR (or even 30 HR) with even .280+ AVG is really nice, but Bryant could also produce like George Springer (.231/.336/.468/.804/ 33 K%) or even Jon Singleton (.168/.285/.335/.620/ 37.0 K%).

Stanton didn't K as much in the minors as Bryant has in the minors. don't players typically K more in the majors to better pitching than they did in the minors?

if Bryant is more similar to Adam Dunn, is that acceptable?

Jon Singleton isn't even in the same galaxy as Bryant is, so that comp makes no sense. A realistic full season for Bryant at this point is probably going to be .255/.335/.515. I doubt he'll ever hit much over .270 if at all, but the OBP and power should continue to grow.

There is no controversy. The Cubs are going to be more equipped to win in 2021 than 2015. It was a no brainer.

It's not a controversy unless you know today that the cubs will finish 1 or 2 games out of the playoffs because of the this.

Even that doesn't matter. They're not winning a World Series this year, but 2021 that's a very real possibility.

Even that doesn't matter. They're not winning a World Series this year, but 2021 that's a very real possibility.

As we saw last year, anyone can make the world series. It is all about getting hot at the right times. They have a strong staff, and they have good young talented hitters. Never say never.

They're well prepared to thrive for 3 weeks without Bryant. olt is a former first rounder having a nice spring. Maybe he makes Bryant a left fielder full time. Alcantara and La Stella can also produce.

They're well prepared to thrive for 3 weeks without Bryant. olt is a former first rounder having a nice spring. Maybe he makes Bryant a left fielder full time. Alcantara and La Stella can also produce.

I think Theo and company are hoping that Olt actually lives up to his prospect status this year and they can move Bryant to LF.

How can you say 2021 is a very real possibility?The Rays were a goldmine of young prospects when they WENT to the World Series in 2008, and look at them 7 years later.

How can you say 2021 is a very real possibility?The Rays were a goldmine of young prospects when they WENT to the World Series in 2008, and look at them 7 years later.

The Cubs will have money to blow in a few years. They're far from being the Rays.

I think Theo and company are hoping that Olt actually lives up to his prospect status this year and they can move Bryant to LF.

I think their wild card for 3B is Castro. He has been rumored to move to 3B before, and it makes sense. The problem with Bryant long term is Schwarber. He may be able to catch, but that seems unlikely (but possible). But for this year and/or next: ss- russell, 3b- Castro, LF- Bryant might just happen.

I think their wild card for 3B is Castro. He has been rumored to move to 3B before, and it makes sense. The problem with Bryant long term is Schwarber. He may be able to catch, but that seems unlikely (but possible). But for this year and/or next: ss- russell, 3b- Castro, LF- Bryant might just happen.

Really good problem to have. It will figure itself out. For fantasy, it's a little difficult to project.

I'd rather they just be honest. No one buys that malarkey.

The MLBPA would file a grievance in that case.

The reality is this. The intent of the Super-2 clause was to reward exceptionally advanced players. The teams have (ab)used it to their benefit. In this case, the MLBPA is correct that teams aren't operating in the spirit of the clause. If a team comes out and says that, it would be admissible in a grievance case. I'm not a lawyer and won't pretend to understand the CBA dispute process, but this is a case when transparency offers no benefit to the team.

I am going on record that the Cubs attempt to disguise their play by waiting a bit longer than the minimum games. I'll predict May 15.

I am going on record that the Cubs attempt to disguise their play by waiting a bit longer than the minimum games. I'll predict May 15.

I've said this before a few pages up in this thread.

Is there some Super 2 going on here? No doubt.

Bryant, right now, really doesn't have a position. He's a bad defensive third baseman and really hasn't played the outfield much, at all. He needs to settle into a position while he's down in AAA.

I've said this before a few pages up in this thread.

Is there some Super 2 going on here? No doubt.

Bryant, right now, really doesn't have a position. He's a bad defensive third baseman and really hasn't played the outfield much, at all. He needs to settle into a position while he's down in AAA.

Don't worry guys, it's all on record.