Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Zombies

Kris Bryant - 3B CHC

I am going on record that the Cubs attempt to disguise their play by waiting a bit longer than the minimum games. I'll predict May 15.

I've said this before a few pages up in this thread.

Is there some Super 2 going on here? No doubt.

Bryant, right now, really doesn't have a position. He's a bad defensive third baseman and really hasn't played the outfield much, at all. He needs to settle into a position while he's down in AAA.

Don't worry guys, it's all on record.

Huh?

My point is he really doesn't have a defensive position right now. He might come up as a third baseman - I don't know. He's not good right now at third, at all.

I think Super 2 has something to do with it.

I think Epstein not believing that rookies can start Opening Day is a part of it.

Him not having a defensive position is also part of it.

They're well prepared to thrive for 3 weeks without Bryant. olt is a former first rounder having a nice spring. Maybe he makes Bryant a left fielder full time. Alcantara and La Stella can also produce.

I think Theo and company are hoping that Olt actually lives up to his prospect status this year and they can move Bryant to LF.
I think their wild card for 3B is Castro. He has been rumored to move to 3B before, and it makes sense. The problem with Bryant long term is Schwarber. He may be able to catch, but that seems unlikely (but possible). But for this year and/or next: ss- russell, 3b- Castro, LF- Bryant might just happen.

I was thinking Olt at 3b more for this year. He'd have to go nuts to even have a chance at playing there next year and even if he did go nuts I can see him being traded.

Depending on what happens with Baez I could see Castro at 2b or 3b with Russell at SS. Castro at 3b with AR & JB at SS/3b would be their best defensive alignment.

I am going on record that the Cubs attempt to disguise their play by waiting a bit longer than the minimum games. I'll predict May 15.

I've said this before a few pages up in this thread.

Is there some Super 2 going on here? No doubt.

Bryant, right now, really doesn't have a position. He's a bad defensive third baseman and really hasn't played the outfield much, at all. He needs to settle into a position while he's down in AAA.

He's not staying down till May 15. He's not a bad third baseman, he only had 7 errors in 70 games at Triple-A last year. That's not bad. Maddon has praised him for having good feet, especially for a big guy. I think there's hope at 3B, but I lean toward thinking he's a better fit in the outfield. He's a great athlete and he'll take to left field quickly. My guess is he plays somewhere close to 60/40 at 3B/LF unless Olt just rips the cover off the ball all year. There's absolutely no reason to keep him down until May 15.

Posted · Hidden by phatrat, March 31, 2015 - No reason given
Hidden by phatrat, March 31, 2015 - No reason given

Got him with the 10th pick in the 5th round (50th overall) in a 10 teamer. Took him and CarGo back to back. Top 3 third baseman easily and top 30 player overall from the time he gets the call.

Top 3 third baseman easily and top 30 player overall from the time he gets the call.

No, not really any of those things. Would much rather have Arenado, Donaldson, and Beltre than him....probably some more too. What youre describing is his ceiling, not his value.

I would bet a good chunk of change he wont be a top 30 player from the time he gets called up. Could he? Sure. But still less than 50% chance he's that good.

Seems like a reach to me. It could pay off, but I wouldn't bank on it.

Top 3 third baseman easily and top 30 player overall from the time he gets the call.

No, not really any of those things. Would much rather have Arenado, Donaldson, and Beltre than him....probably some more too. What youre describing is his ceiling, not his value.

I would bet a good chunk of change he wont be a top 30 player from the time he gets called up. Could he? Sure. But still less than 50% chance he's that good.

You're crazy bro. This kid is a rare type of talent. Basically a Giancarlo Stanton type of power hitter at 3B. The kid will rake for years to come and getting a top bat like that 50th overall, even if you have to wait a month is a steal. My league has OPS and I think he will def be better than Arenado and Donaldson, who might not even get up to 800. I expect Bryant to easily crack .800+ and come close to 900.

You're crazy bro. This kid is a rare type of talent. Basically a Giancarlo Stanton type of power hitter at 3B. The kid will rake for years to come and getting a top bat like that 50th overall, even if you have to wait a month is a steal. My league has OPS and I think he will def be better than Arenado and Donaldson, who might not even get up to 800. I expect Bryant to easily crack .800+ and come close to 900.

Well OPS over average? Sure he has more of an advantage there, but thats not a standad league, so it's not proper to act like its one.

I expect Bryant to be really good. Banking on him being top 30 this year? Risky business, very.

I feel like spring training has caused two things to happen that it shouldn't have. 1, he's suddenly some mythical destroyer of baseball. Yes he's quite good, but temper the optimism when you look at his K and contact rates. It's very possible he never sniffs a .270-.280 season. Secondly, a couple rough games to start the year have suddenly got people convinced he's a butcher at 3B and that's really not the case. Scouts and stats back him up as an average to maybe a tad below guy. He's not some butcher who is going to erode 3 wins a year by playing 3B.

Also Stanton and bryant can't both be once in a generation power prospects.

What do you mean by that exactly?

People keep saying Stanton is a once in a generation power prospect and now Bryant is. 2 guys 5 years a part cant both be once in a generation by definition.

once in a generation..

ONCE

once in a generation..

ONCE

That would make a good thread, to define who each "generation's" player was for the last 5-10 generations. What, like 15-20 spans for each? I think it would have good arguments...

And Mike Trout was a Generational player. It's a liberally used word as you can see. I don't mind it.

Im a generational poster on Rotoworld Forums

And Gausman is his generation's pitcher, right?

And Mike Trout was a Generational player. It's a liberally used word as you can see. I don't mind it.

I think Harper was that guy, but then Trout came along and sapped him of his generational talent, because there can be only one...

I think Harper was that guy, but then Trout came along and sapped him of his generational talent, because there can be only one...

Mookie Betts is upon us

Im a generational poser on Rotoworld Forums

Fixed.

Haha, couldn't help myself.

once in a generation..

ONCE

Thats what i was wondering, makes baseball sound like highlander and there can only be one...

VERY interesting words from Bryant today in an interview with Pedro Gomez. He expressed being "extremely disappointed" (there was a lot more to it) and also refused to comment when asked if there were any hard feelings with the Cubs. It's quite obvious Boras has gotten into his head. Of course, the kid has every right to be upset, given his performance. But he no longer seems so peachy about the situation, which was a little interesting to see. I like seeing some snark to him in regards to the situation. Certainly throws a tiny wrench into the situation.

I wish the interview was posted online. My words don't quite do it justice. He definitely had a ****-eating grin on his face that read "this is bull**** I belong in Chicago right now but I'll smile and be diplomatic". I suggest everyone checks it out.

Posted · Hidden by phatrat, April 2, 2015 - No reason given
Hidden by phatrat, April 2, 2015 - No reason given

I wish the interview was posted online. My words don't quite do it justice. He definitely had a ****-eating grin on his face that read "this is bull**** I belong in Chicago right now but I'll smile and be diplomatic". I suggest everyone checks it out.

Why? Who cares? He'll be up in 2 weeks and playing in Chicago for the next 6 years and everyone will forget this. 6 years is a lot of time to forget about these two weeks... a lot.

Posted · Hidden by phatrat, April 2, 2015 - No reason given
Hidden by phatrat, April 2, 2015 - No reason given

Why? Who cares? He'll be up in 2 weeks and playing in Chicago for the next 6 years and everyone will forget this. 6 years is a lot of time to forget about these two weeks... a lot.

I thought it was a telling interview. Then again I like reading people, so maybe it was a little more significant for me. It was a few minutes long, not just a quick quote. And considering the junk that people on here argue about, I'd say the interview was pretty damn relevant for a Kris Bryant thread.

(Also: No need for the d1ck he@ded Why? Who Cares?...Some people DO care about this. )