Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Zombies

Kris Bryant - 3B CHC

Any talk about if they bring him up this weekend or wait until the series @ Pit on Monday?

If I recall correctly, so did Ryan Braun when he first came up

David Wright and Tulo beasted too when they were called up.

Bryant has that special aura about him. He's gonna be a stud out of the gates. Can't wait.

Possibly tulo as well (never mind, 30 other people said it before me)

David Wright and Tulo beasted too when they were called up.

Bryant has that special aura about him. He's gonna be a stud out of the gates. Can't wait.

How about Pujols with his .329/37/112 rookie year? Piazza's .318/35/112 wasnt bad either

Given the press about service time manipulation, I'd guess the Cubs call him up at around the 24th. I'll take the over, just because the Cubs will then say they called him for "baseball reasons" (like getting him more time playing OF, etc.). Doubt it will be anything longer than sometime in April, however (and if anyone gets hurt, of course, all bets are off).

I'll take the under. They wanted to give Mike Olt a chance, and he sucks. If Cubs want to hold on to 1st place they will need to call him up soon.

Not long ago, the Braves started Jason Heyward in the outfield on opening day as a rookie. He started off on fire & the Braves made the playoffs by one game.

I don't own Bryant anywhere...his price was just too high come my draft times...but it's such crap they were willing to start Mike Olt and other goombas over Bryant.

You think the Braves regretted starting Heyward from day 1? If the Cubs miss the playoffs by a game or two, it's their bad...but they probably won't learn anything from it.

Not long ago, the Braves started Jason Heyward in the outfield on opening day as a rookie. He started off on fire & the Braves made the playoffs by one game.

I don't own Bryant anywhere...his price was just too high come my draft times...but it's such crap they were willing to start Mike Olt and other goombas over Bryant.

You think the Braves regretted starting Heyward from day 1? If the Cubs miss the playoffs by a game or two, it's their bad...but they probably won't learn anything from it.

To be fair though, for every Heyward, you have a Jose Fernandez, Rick Porcello, A-Rod, who were called up just before a deadline where gaining service time was in play - and the outcome of those teams weren't decided by 1-2 wins. It's a calculated risk. And for sure some teams don't think about it (Tigers, Giants are 2 that come to mind), while it's always business first for other teams.

For 2015, if the Cubs lose the playoffs by 1 game, no doubt there will be huge scrutiny. But the likely outcome is that it won't go down that way - in which case, status quo. FTR, as a Rays fan who saw a very narrow window (that likely has closed), I hate that this is how things are done, but at least I can see the extra-year argument - really dislike the Super-2 games, because it only matters if your players are outright stars (and most don't end up that way), yet we see it done time and again with multiple rookies..but I digress.

If the Cubs wait 1 more week, and are still in 1st place, no doubt they'll say his delay had no impact. PR spin all the way here.

Can everyone start demanding he gets called up tomorrow?

I really hate the argument "well what if the Cubs miss the playoffs by one game." Let's just start from the beginning:

Firstly, the Cubs have gotten off to a good start. They split with last year's division winner, the St. Louis Cardinals, beat the Rockies 2/3 (a team who is 6-0 against the rest of the league) and beat the Reds 2/3 (who are 4-2 against the rest of the league).

BUT, even forgetting that, this argument is again the case of baseball fanatics and fantasy owners wanting to pretend that baseball is only stats and isn't players, as if the players would wake up the second week of October, see the standings, and say "Well darn, I guess we didn't make the playoffs." That's not how baseball works. Every single day from say midyear until October, Joe Maddon, Theo Epstein, the Cubs players, and the Cubs fanbase will know exactly how far out the Cubs are from a playoff spot. If the Cubs enter August down, say, seven games from the playoffs, they know that over the next two months they need to make up seven games. If they DONT make it, it will be because they weren't a good enough baseball team to take over and bridge that gap and make it into the playoffs. If they aren't good enough to do that, then what does it matter if they're out of the playoffs anyway. I understand that a win is a win and that it doesn't matter when you get them, but the "Cubs will finish 1 game back and realize they needed Bryant" argument is just dumb to me... because it seems to suggest the Cubs can't do anything else from May onward to make up that extra game. If the Cubs know how many games back they are going into the final month, they know what they have to do to make the playoffs. If they don't, that's on Maddon and the team, not on the Bryant decision.

I'd be shocked if he didn't get called up & play tomorrow. This was a straight financial decision. Once they pass that deadline, you call him up right away. I don't see the public relations angle of waiting a week at all. It's already been well established why he's in the minors in the first place.

I'd be shocked if he didn't get called up & play tomorrow. This was a straight financial decision. Once they pass that deadline, you call him up right away. I don't see the public relations angle of waiting a week at all. It's already been well established why he's in the minors in the first place.

I agree with RotoRaysFan that he might be a tad later because they dont want bad press about service time manipulation (or a potential grievance). If you weren't aware, it's technically not allowed to keep someone down for service time/financial issues (even though thats obviously what this is).

He could possibly be up tomorrow, but it's far from a sure thing. I'd say under 50% even, maybe 10-20%.

I'd say close to 90% this month though.

My bad. Apparently I have access to it from within my company network and didn't realize. Regardless, assuming a Neil Ramirez injury doesn't change anything, I wonder if they make sure he debuts at home. If they do that and don't bring him up this weekend, they aren't back home until the 27th.

Olt just got hit badly on the hand/wrist... they will need a 3rd baseman soon...

I was just coming in to post about Olt getting hit. Had it on live when it happened. Didn't look good at all. You could hear him yell through the TV broadcast when he got hit. He was holding it right away, and he walked off with the trainer. Anyway good chance he might end up on the DL. If that's the case that might squash the idea that the Cubbies would keep Bryant down past the 17th. We'll see...

T-minus 5 days and counting.

Honestly the cubs could put anyone at 3B to make up for Olt. Losing Olt will not move up the time table for bryant. It's not like theojed is saying, "Dear God, we lost Mike Olt!!!" Be easy, bryant will be up soon enough. The hype train is beyond reproach.

I know this. Which is what they'll do until Bryant gets the call, all I was saying is that this may get rid of the idea that they keep Bryant down past the 17th for "more seasoning." I know they can still wait longer, but this just gives them another reason not to. That's all. Hence why I ended with we'll see.

BTW that light at the end of the tunnel isn't day light, it's the the headlight of said hype train coming to run some people over. Bazinga!

Annnnd boom goes the dynamite! Mike Olt to the DL.