Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

TheWrightStuff

Rafael Montero SP NYM

50 posts in this topic

Didn't see a previously existing thread for him.

Montero has just been promoted to AAA Las Vegas after posting a 7-4 record with a 2.45 ERA

and a 77 K/11 BB ratio with mostly Binghamton and one spot start for Vegas while only allowing

3 HR in 73.1 total innings thus far this year.

The Mets are high on this kid and he may eventually earn a call-up to the bigs later this season.

He starts for Vegas tomorrow.

Gotta be skeptical of anyone with the last name Montero. Nice stats though, the Mets have a bright future for their rotation.

1 person likes this

Last night at Cashman Stadium in Las Vegas, RHP Rafael Montero made his first start for Triple-A Las Vegas since his promotion and allowed five runs – one earned – on seven hits with seven strikeouts in 5 1/3 innings.

The 51s committed four errors last night, three of which came in the fifth inning with one of the three coming on a throwing error by Montero.

Montero was relieved by Justin Hampson, who earned the win in the 51s 11-5 victory over Colorado Springs.

It was Montero’s second start for Las Vegas this season – he made a spot start at Triple-A last month before returning to Double-A Binghamton.

Overall, Montero is 7-4 with a 2.40 ERA in 13 starts between Double-A Binghamton and Triple-A Las Vegas in 2013.

During a Q&A session at Citi Field yesterday, Sandy Alderson said due to Montero not being on the 40-man roster, it was unlikely he would make his big league debut this season.

1 person likes this

Little write up on Montero and Syndergaard's play in the Futures game the other day:

http://metsminors.net/thoughts-and-observations-on-the-mlb-futures-game/

Looking at his stats in AAA so far, it seems like he is still adapting to the new competition. He's not doing terrible, but not as good as he was in AA. It is the PCL though. Here are Montero's stats after 7 starts in AAA:

1-2, 4.36 ERA, 33 IP, 40 H, 16 ER, 2 HR, 10 BB, 29 K, 1.515 WHIP.

For me at least, I think he's doing pretty good considering it's the PCL, and it's only his first 7 starts while facing more advanced hitters in AAA. Yeah maybe the stats aren't showing it, but in his situation and the conditions he is in, I think he has been pretty good.

Sandy Alderson was on WFAN today, and he was talking about Montero and Syndergaard. He said it is "unlikely that we see them this year." He also said that Montero may not pitch past August because he hasn't accumulated many innings in his career since they signed him only a couple years ago in 2011.

Here's a link to the entire interview: http://newyork.cbslocal.com/audio-on-demand/mike-francesa-1/

Another beautiful gem 3 days ago. He has been completely dominant the last 2 starts going a combined 14IP 6H 1ER 2BB 17Ks. This is in the PCL. He started his AAA stint a little shaky but he is settling in nicely. His numbers across all levels of his career have been outstanding. He doesn't get the hype because his stuff isn't dominant or overpowering, but if his numbers thus far suggest anything is that he will be a fine addition to a major league roster. I'd say a solid 2/3SP.

Hopefully he would get a September callup since Mets rotation is like an infirmary. Mejia and Hefner now gone for the season. Mets are running out of starters.

Hopefully he would get a September callup since Mets rotation is like an infirmary. Mejia and Hefner now gone for the season. Mets are running out of starters.

He's reaching his innings limit as are most of the other young guys so they are not calling up any of the young bucks to pitch in september

Now Harvey out. Might bring up Montero for relief appearences since they are replacing SPs with relievers now. Thats if he is reaching an innings limit. He's in AAA so there is nowhere to go but to the bigs. Just a option that could be possible.

Now Harvey out. Might bring up Montero for relief appearences since they are replacing SPs with relievers now. Thats if he is reaching an innings limit. He's in AAA so there is nowhere to go but to the bigs. Just a option that could be possible.

The Mets just lost two SP to TJ. I really hope they don't mess with Montero and have him go from the rotation to bullpen then back to the rotation. Just shut him down, the season is over.

They came out and said (albeit prior to the Harvery injury) that they will not bring up Montero to the bigs due to his innings limit. Once AAA season is over then Montero will be shut down.

He will be starting Friday in the Mets first Spring game. He has looked great in Spring thus far according to reporters. I'm thinking for this year he will start in AAA as a SP, be brought up at some point as a reliever and finish there to keep building innings. Should be the #5 starter on the MLB team in 2015.

For long term, is he a starter or reliever.? He is very small (6'0", 170 lb), but he has starter stuff (low 90's velo, great K/BB rate).

Montero looks impressive again. Cardinals had a good lineup in today and they scorched Dice-k/Lannan. Montero came in and threw 2 shutout innings.

Early on in ST, Collins said Dice/Lannan had the upper hand...is this kid really a true candidate for the 5th spot? I am a huge Mets fan and hadn't heard much serious consideration for him until just now on the SNY opening of their ST game today.

1 person likes this

Montero looks impressive again. Cardinals had a good lineup in today and they scorched Dice-k/Lannan. Montero came in and threw 2 shutout innings.

Second time I've seen him this spring and he once again looked solid. Darling compared him to Teheran. I wouldn't go that far as I think Teheran's stuff is a tick better but Montero's command and poise give him an edge there. Great dynasty league buy.

For prospect junkies that game also had Taveras, Wong, Matz, and Alex Reyes appearing in it. It was a lot of fun to watch.

1 person likes this

Early on in ST, Collins said Dice/Lannan had the upper hand...is this kid really a true candidate for the 5th spot? I am a huge Mets fan and hadn't heard much serious consideration for him until just now on the SNY opening of their ST game today.

If Dice K and Lannan continue to get pounded and Montero keeps doing great I'd think its possible. I think they want to keep him in minors until Super 2, though. And he didn't exactly dominate AAA, but he has looked like a successful MLB pitcher since the beginning of last season.

If Dice K and Lannan continue to get pounded and Montero keeps doing great I'd think its possible. I think they want to keep him in minors until Super 2, though. And he didn't exactly dominate AAA, but he has looked like a successful MLB pitcher since the beginning of last season.

I'd agree with this assessment.

I think he'd outpitch Dice and Lannan right now but I do think the Mets will exercise patience and allow him to get more minor league seasoning.

One other concern for the Mets young pitchers is their infield defense up the middle. Tejada looks like crap and Flores at 2b is showing growing pains (let alone at SS).

I'd agree with this assessment.

I think he'd outpitch Dice and Lannan right now but I do think the Mets will exercise patience and allow him to get more minor league seasoning.

One other concern for the Mets young pitchers is their infield defense up the middle. Tejada looks like crap and Flores at 2b is showing growing pains (let alone at SS).

Well Murphy will be the regular 2B and he is right around average imo. Tejeda is usually plus defense but his offense is getting into his head mentally so his defense has gone down. That being said, SS looks like a big weakness. But keep in mind they have a golf glover at 3B in Wright, and potentially Ike is a plus defender, Duda/Satin not so much.

But also the OF will be elite. Lagaresis elite, Chris Young is very good, Granderson is very good. EY Jr. has a lot of range. d'Arnaud is plus at catcher.

1 person likes this