Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

NyMetsfan5

Mets v. Braves (6/18) Game Day Thread

454 posts in this topic

*yawn another dominating performance filled with 97 on the black and killer off speed stuff Happy Harvey day as usual

just hit triple digits on the gun LOL no chance today for the braves

How does Wood look?

He seems to have a scab or something on his index finger which is really messing with his curveball command. With that said, he looks very promising. His motion is nowhere near as violent as Sale's, and he's sitting comfortably in the 91-93 range; his changeup, which he's commanded very well, has also generated a ton of swinging strikes. As alluded to, his pitch count has really climbed up due to command issues (and a fairly tight strike zone, but every rookie pitcher has to take his lumps), but I hardly expect that to be a persisting issue. All things told, I'm very impressed by him and think dynasty owners should file him away in some corner of their minds. He's a cerebral pitcher who has no issue pounding strikes on the inside against opposite-handed batters, an approach that has led to an impressive amount of pitches pulled foul.

2 people like this

How does Wood look?

He seems to have a scab or something on his index finger which is really messing with his curveball command. With that said, he looks very promising. His motion is nowhere near as violent as Sale's, and he's sitting comfortably in the 91-93 range; his changeup, which he's commanded very well, has also generated a ton of swinging strikes. As alluded to, his pitch count has really climbed up due to command issues (and a fairly tight strike zone, but every rookie pitcher has to take his lumps), but I hardly expect that to be a persisting issue. All things told, I'm very impressed by him and think dynasty owners should file him away in some corner of their minds. He's a cerebral pitcher who has no issue pounding strikes on the inside against opposite-handed batters, an approach that has led to an impressive amount of pitches pulled foul.

And pitching into the wind is almost as bad as pissing into it ;)

Anyone notice Uggla's walkup music?

"You shoot me down but I won't fall, I am titanium." :lol:

At least Wood accounted himself better than Archer is. Surprised he had that much trouble with his command and his profile in the minors was a guy with very good command. Still, looking at the pitch zone tracker, it looks like he got the rookie treatment and was squeezed a touch. Would this be an accurate assessment for those lucky enough to watch. Also, how did the run score when Murphy was on 2nd base and it was a FC? Lil' Rasmus comes in and gives up a bomb....Ha.

At least Wood accounted himself better than Archer is. Surprised he had that much trouble with his command and his profile in the minors was a guy with very good command. Still, looking at the pitch zone tracker, it looks like he got the rookie treatment and was squeezed a touch. Would this be an accurate assessment for those lucky enough to watch. Also, how did the run score when Murphy was on 2nd base and it was a FC? Lil' Rasmus comes in and gives up a bomb....Ha.

Scroll up a bit for a more detailed assessment.

As far as the FC: it should be an error. Byrd hit a worm burner to Johnson, who, even with two outs, thought about going to second, hesitated, then had to reshift before throwing to first; naturally, he was too late. Since there were 2 outs, Murphy just kept on running and squeaked by Laird to score the run on a close play.

Scroll up a bit for a more detailed assessment.

As far as the FC: it should be an error. Byrd hit a worm burner to Johnson, who, even with two outs, thought about going to second, hesitated, then had to reshift before throwing to first; naturally, he was too late. Since there were 2 outs, Murphy just kept on running and squeaked by Laird to score the run on a close play.

Definitely should be an error, hopefully it's corrected.

Harvey smells blood in the water, but I can't blame the guy. He hasn't seen a lead since 'Nam.... Just made Freeman and Heyward look absolutely foolish, 2 swinging Ks on 6 pitches; he then gets Johnson on the payoff to strike out the side.

FWIW, he has no feel for his slider right now and has thrown probably 85% fastballs. Against a strikeout-prone team like the Braves, this is a sound strategy; against the Marlins, no dice (which he why they've given him so much trouble - he never seems to have all 4 pitches working in one game, so both times he's faced them this season, they've just sat on the heater).

Edit: The scoring on Byrd's groundball has been changed to a hit. I disagree with the call, but regardless, that's an earned run charged to Wood.

Harvey is throwing some GAS. I know the gun might be juiced, but ive watched him pitch every game this season and he is throwing harder today.

Wood was squeezed a little more than a touch. I don't care if your a rookie or not, when your throwing stuff down the middle or close to it and it's called a ball, that's just wrong. I could see not getting the corners but he was getting some bad calls. Regardless, as said, it should of been an error.

As per the SNY broadcast, Wood was taken out due to a blister on his left index finger. He was gnawing on it and picking at it literally the entire time he was on the mound, so that makes sense. It's unfortunate, but I'm very excited to see how he fares in the future.