Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

bravesfan4life

Joe Kelly 2013 Outlook

92 posts in this topic

Ok so nobody is going to duplicate what Medlen did last season after joining the rotation late but I see some similarities between him and Kelly. First, this is all depending on whether or not the Cardinals decide to put him in the rotation for Lyons. For now my guess is that they are but they could also turn to Carlos Martinez or Wacha. Kelly logged over 100 MLB innings last year and held his own as a rookie posting a 3.53 ERA with 75Ks. He is a great athlete that I have seen touch 97 mph. Like Medlen he has kind of been under the radar even though he has been successful. Just want to give a heads up if he gets a rotation spot, he pitches for a great team and will be a guy to keep an eye on.

They will only use him as a 5th if needed.. Off days may allow 4 pitchers for a bit.

http://www.stltoday....6b_w0c0.twitter

Yea I read that after I started the thread. But if you also read they want to give Miller some off days so he still may go next week, I think thats what they are trying to decide right now, I could see them sliding Kelly in there to give Miller the extra day or two

Cardinals manager Mike Matheny has named Joe Kelly the team's new No. 5 starter.

He's the Cards new #5 starter.

Cardinals manager Mike Matheny has named Joe Kelly the team's new No. 5 starter.

When does he take his first turn?

Home vs Miami, July 6th, would be Joe Kelly's first start.

Must add next week.

When does he take his first turn?

They're still figuring that out:

The Cardinals plan to get Kelly rest until Wednesday after throwing 77 pitches Friday, but he could be used in relief if the Cardinals opt to down-shift into a four-man rotation. The next time the Cardinals would have to use a fifth starter is during the first series at home in July.But using a four-man rotation during the next eight games would run counter to the team’s plan to afford pitchers like Miller a rest when possible to reduce strain and innings.

Assuming they go 4 man rotation - July 6th would be the first time they need a 5th starter which would be vs. MIA

Assuming they don't, I have no idea.

1 person likes this

this is interesting, i just dont like that he gets skipped on off days and gets his first start in two weeks. not really a regular contributor?

I like the SP/RP tag ... should be in line for quite a few wins at least.

Is he "this year's Medlen" because of the situation or do they actually have similar skillsets?

I know nothing about Kelly to compare him to any current pitcher.

What are the Medlen comparisons based off, the situation or stuff, or both? Can someone tell me about Kelly, the pros and cons - trying to decide if I want to pick him up or not. I would love to hear from someone whose seen him pitch. How is he far as the eye test?

Kelly certainly throws harder than Medlen, 97-98 as a reliever but dials it back some as a starter, but probably has less control. I don't think their stuff is very similar. Kelly was solid but unspectacular as a starter last year, not a great K rate but solid ERA. Worth a try considering the team he plays for.

he throws really hard and he's got a big sweeping slurvey breaking ball

He is the fifth starter and assuming his first start really is July 6th. Do you think St. Louis will use him in any type of long relief? That seems like a long time not to pitch, as of a result of becoming the 5th starter. Any insight?

I dont see his ownership numbers jumping up after the announcement of being fith starter.

Is he still going to be used in long relief or sit on the bench till the fifth starter is need?

He is the fifth starter and assuming his first start really is July 6th. Do you think St. Louis will use him in any type of long relief? That seems like a long time not to pitch, as of a result of becoming the 5th starter. Any insight?

Yes I would assume he makes an appearance between now and July 6th. As for the comparisons, like I said in the original post the situation is similar and I really think the lightened workload at the beginning of the season allowed Kelly to find his groove and will mean he is fresh for the rest of the season. Not to mention he is pitching for the team with the best record in baseball. Worth the roster spot in my league

No shame in Stephen Vogt taking you to school in O.co.

5.1 in relief tonight with the solo hr the only damage. I'm looking forward to see him get in a routine of going out there every 5th day. I think he will be a very solid addition to fantasy staffs

Ok - yes this has been an impressive emergency "start." Now I am curious to see how he fares in an actual start next week. Did find him rather useful last year

Anyone seen any confirmation he's set to go on Saturday? Could be a really nice pickup for the stretch if he can secure a spot (Carlos Martinez could be a heckuva pickup too if they elect to go that route).

Kelly is listed as the scheduled starter Saturday and is the only viable option on the big league roster at this time. Although Martinez is creating some buzz, there's no indication the Cards are considering calling him up that quickly.

1 person likes this

Roll call time - who's on board with this guy? And while he's the 5th starter now, do any STL fans have insight as to whether he holds that role the rest of the way?

Whether Kelly stays in the rotation depends on a bunch of variables. Does he pitch well? Are there any injuries in the rotation? Martinez will be up at some point and will be a starter. If that happened today, Kelly would be put in the bullpen. There's plenty of time for circumstances to change.

Pitching vs Miami tomorrow. Anyone have predictions?

He's a nice streaming option and someone to watch closely considering the team he plays for