Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

mr_clutch31

How much do you guys like +/- stats?

Personally i love it and i think this could be an interesting fantasy stat. From games i watched so far, it has indicated well which guys (especially bench) gave the team "spark" and therefore played an important part in making runs. It also would help raise values of guys like Anthony Parker (ie glue guys) b/c even from past i've heard those are always the ones with good +/- values. So in a way it could serve as an indicative measure of team-playing ability and providing energy? It will bring more realistic factors in valuing players in fantasy.

Personally i love it and i think this could be an interesting fantasy stat. From games i watched so far, it has indicated well which guys (especially bench) gave the team "spark" and therefore played an important part in making runs. It also would help raise values of guys like Anthony Parker (ie glue guys) b/c even from past i've heard those are always the ones with good +/- values. So in a way it could serve as an indicative measure of team-playing ability and providing energy? It will bring more realistic factors in valuing players in fantasy.

Can you be more specific on what you are talking about. +/- can have multiple meanings in fantasy basketball. + categories are steals, blocks, assists, and - is TO's. So a guy like Eddy Curry actually has more TO's than all his positive stats combined and it is a huge factor on why he isn't even ranked by yahoo to be drafted in standard leagues. I always factor in +/- ratio when drafting. Guys like Battier and Camby are gold in this category.

I think you are talking about team scoring though, like the fact that Orlando was outscored by quite a bit when Grant Hill was on the floor last season and that was a definate factor on why he was allowed to walk. I am not sure how we could measure this consistently in the fantasy system.

If you're talking about +/- as far as the teams score goes when that player is on the court, I like to look at it. I would never use it in fantasy though.

Can you be more specific on what you are talking about. +/- can have multiple meanings in fantasy basketball. + categories are steals, blocks, assists, and - is TO's. So a guy like Eddy Curry actually has more TO's than all his positive stats combined and it is a huge factor on why he isn't even ranked by yahoo to be drafted in standard leagues. I always factor in +/- ratio when drafting. Guys like Battier and Camby are gold in this category.

I think you are talking about team scoring though, like the fact that Orlando was outscored by quite a bit when Grant Hill was on the floor last season and that was a definate factor on why he was allowed to walk. I am not sure how we could measure this consistently in the fantasy system.

err sorry. it's the measure of team scoring +/-, exactly what you've talked about on 2nd paragraph. 82games.com has been measuring this. Check the stats there and u'll agree that it's pretty effective measure of player's importance to his team. Nba.com has just started logging this stat on their boxscores starting this year. One problem is that if there's a guy who plays 5 mins of garbage time in one game could have +15 rating. Before implementing as fantasy stat i guess there's a need to adjust this somehow...

i wouldnt mind +/- being a stat becuz its a way of measuring a players true value to his team. a guy like jamal crawford can come in, jack up a bunch of shots and rack up stats, but are his stats a true reflection of his impact on his team? no.

the only problem is that introducing +/- would open up a huge can of worms in terms of different rates and ratios: there's PER, adj +/-, rebound rate, assist/ minute ratio, assisting %, adj FG%, etc.

all more accurate ways of determining a players "real" value outside of raw cumulative stats.

+/- is like A/T ratio. Its a great stat for real life, but I don't like it for fantasy. I don't want to play in a league where people are racing to get Bruce Bowen and Antonio Daniels.

I like how different fantasy hoops is from real life. It's the only place where Shawn Marion is worth more than Tim Duncan, and where people give a rip about good players on bad teams, like David Lee and Mo Williams.