Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

dhendrickson82

Miguel Alfredo Gonzalez - SP PHI

67 posts in this topic

Top Cuban free agent Miguel Alfredo Gonzalez is drawing interest from a multitude of MLB clubs, and could end up signing for as much as $60 million over five years, reports Danny Knobler of CBS Sports.

Guy to keep an eye on . Reportedly throws mid 90's with a forkball, curveball, slider, and changeup. Could play immediately and is expected to sign soon. There's one video of him over on youtube from a couple years ago.

This guy is pitching tonight in Tijuana infront of scouts who presumably will be holding suitcases full of cash. If anyone is interested the game is at 7:05 PT and will be broadcasted here http://www.torosdetijuana.com/index.php/noticias/tvv18.html for all you dynasty leaguers and people looking for pitching help after the ASB, this guy might be someone to keep an eye on.

1 person likes this

How old is he? Is he MLB ready? I wish I could watch tonight but I am busy. Can someone please tune in and let us know. Thanks!

Watched all three innings last night. The guy is definitely in spring training mode just getting stretched out. His fastball was 94-96. Threw a steady diet of those through the first two innings, then mixed in curve and change more in the third. Reminds me a little of Javier Vazquez. I don't think he is a #1Sp I think a number 3 type with upside for a little more. I think by the time he signs and gets stretched you're looking at a late July early August debut. He's been linked to Red Sox, Cubs, and Dodgers. He should sign in the next week to 10 days.

94-96 and ceiling is only a #3 starter? That does not compute to me.

Either way, seems like the dodgers have a hard on for him. Dodgers are like the drunken businessmen at the stop club. They just go to the Guggenheim ATM for the next shiny new toy.

1 person likes this

I wasn't that impressed with his stuff last night. The velocity is nice, but other than that he was just kind of OK. Given that people are talking 5/60 for him I expected more.

Is he the only big Cuban name for this year? That might play into why he's attracting so much interest.

Is he the only big Cuban name for this year? That might play into why he's attracting so much interest.

Don't know much about him, but Dalier Hinojosa defect earlier in the year. He's currently petitioning MLB to be a free agent.

I heard somewhere that he could play this year if he signs soon

Out of the 3, Gonzalez, Alvarez,and Hinojosa, where do they rank amongst each other?

From rotoworld:

"MLB.com's Peter Gammons was told that the Dodgers are prepared to offer Miguel Alfredo Gonzalez a contract in the five-year, $50 million range, which is expected to be enough to sign him."

""Word is Dodgers will go five years, close to $50 million," a general manager told Gammons. "If so, he'll be a Dodger." Gonzalez, a 26-year-old right-hander, left Cuba earlier this year and was declared a free agent by MLB on Monday. He's expected to be nearly major league-ready but seems unlikely to make an impact this season. The Braves, Cubs, Yankees, Red Sox, Rangers, Phillies, Blue Jays, Twins, and Marlins have also been connected to him."

Why is he unlikely to make an impact this season? He needs to get acclimated to the majors?

From rotoworld:

"MLB.com's Peter Gammons was told that the Dodgers are prepared to offer Miguel Alfredo Gonzalez a contract in the five-year, $50 million range, which is expected to be enough to sign him."

""Word is Dodgers will go five years, close to $50 million," a general manager told Gammons. "If so, he'll be a Dodger." Gonzalez, a 26-year-old right-hander, left Cuba earlier this year and was declared a free agent by MLB on Monday. He's expected to be nearly major league-ready but seems unlikely to make an impact this season. The Braves, Cubs, Yankees, Red Sox, Rangers, Phillies, Blue Jays, Twins, and Marlins have also been connected to him."

El Cohete Cubano and El Canon Cubano on the same team?

Why is he unlikely to make an impact this season? He needs to get acclimated to the majors?

I think he will make an impact during the end of this year, but he will likely need some time in the minors, and it's already almost August. It may just be because it's possible we don't see him until September if he doesn't sign very soon.

Jeff Passan@JeffPassan12m

Cuban RHP Miguel Alfredo Gonzalez and Philadelphia Phillies have agreed on six-year deal worth more than $50M, club source tells Y! Sports.

Jeff Passan@JeffPassan2m

Miguel Alfredo Gonzalez: 6-2, 185, RHP. FB 91-94, tops out at 96. Cutter, splitter, change. Really impressed scouts, evaluators in workouts.

Could be worth a flyer

phillies get him

now what?

I think it's great for his fantasy value since he will get to face the Marlins, Mets and Nationals often. From what I understand, he should be up this year since he doesn't need much time in the minors.

Jeff Passan@JeffPassan22m

Miguel Alfredo Gonzalez: 6-2, 185, RHP. FB 91-94, tops out at 96. Cutter, splitter, change. Really impressed scouts, evaluators in workouts.

I dont think you see fantasy impact from him this year.

Honestly it's hard to tell with these cuban players. If he does get the call i would grab him asap and take the chance..

I thought I saw that Yahoo was saying that he will be up by mid August. Maybe I'm wrong, but I thought that's what I saw.