Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

JetCityPersian

C.J. McCollum 2013-2014 Season Outlook

64 posts in this topic

Okay, okay, it's a bit early. I'm in excited Blazers fan, and I am already thinking about this. The Blazers clearly are intent on giving C.J. minutes and a healthy role. He should get a lot of run, even if he's coming off the bench.

Might we be looking at pre-injury Louis Williams output? Or perhaps the more erratic production of this year's healthy Dion Waiters is a better expectation?

My observations of CJM are mostly from highlight reels, although I did watch him paste Duke (and became a fan like many others).

What do my fellow Rotoworlder's think of this addition to a young and talented Portland squad?

I'm pretty high on McCollum. I think he's definitely one of those guys that doesn't end up being a star, but solid enough to make this draft exceed its low expectations. I like your comparisons with Williams or Waiters, since CJM is going to enter a prime opportunity to be a primary gunner off the bench as a backup combo guard, especially with the Blazers committing to not resigning Maynor. With this pick, I think the Blazers have pretty much locked down their guard depth. Between Lillard, Matthews, and McCollum, they have an excellent, young three-man guard rotation, with Will Barton providing a solid prospect waiting in the wings as well.

I'm pretty high on McCollum. I think he's definitely one of those guys that doesn't end up being a star, but solid enough to make this draft exceed its low expectations. I like your comparisons with Williams or Waiters, since CJM is going to enter a prime opportunity to be a primary gunner off the bench as a backup combo guard, especially with the Blazers committing to not resigning Maynor. With this pick, I think the Blazers have pretty much locked down their guard depth. Between Lillard, Matthews, and McCollum, they have an excellent, young three-man guard rotation, with Will Barton providing a solid prospect waiting in the wings as well.

Yeah, I almost feel like they have too many prospects at guard - good problem to have! Crabbe has a lot of potential to contribute too, and may be the long term solution at SG if he can develop his defensive game.

I like the situation since him and Lillard texted everyday for awhile now, so there's already a bond there. I think the Blazers are desperate for a couple guys to come off the bench and be productive breathers so their starters don't have to play 40 minutes a night. Maybe a solid 25 minutes a night of the bench in a JR Smith type role where he is expected to be the lead man on the second unit.

This guy could be a big-time sleeper this year. I think he's coming close to returning.

Too early. I think next year. I don't think he'll play over Mo.

1 person likes this

This guy could be a big-time sleeper this year. I think he's coming close to returning.

Too early. I think next year. I don't think he'll play over Mo.

You're right. I just posted this more because he's getting closer from his injury.

http://www.blazersedge.com/2013/11/15/5109566/blazers-g-cj-mccollum-foot-to-be-reevaluated-in-one-month

He was injured on October 6th and today we're at December 5th. He's going to get a scan sometime this week or next week.

It took him 3 months after his previous injury to get to "full speed"

http://espn.go.com/nba/draft2013/story/_/id/9190232/cj-mccollum-lehigh-back-full-speed-injury

He's a major chucker. See him averaging something like 11 PPG off the bench IF he fully settles into a rotation role on about 39% shooting

I would think so, as soon as we get news of a confirmed debut. McCollum can score and could really boost the 2nd unit.

Obviously it will take time to get back in shape/adjust to the nba and his role. It might be bumpy for a while, but barring any setbacks with his foot, I wouldn't be surprised to see him reduce Mo Williams to an afterthought by season's end.

The Blazers assigned C.J. McCollum (foot) to the D-League on Wednesday.

He is expected to be available for games on Jan. 3 and 4 for the Idaho Stampede. McCollum has been out all season with a fracture in his foot and he was cleared for full contact last week. The move makes a lot of sense with the Blazers owning one of the most solid NBA rotations, so this will give him a chance to develop. No player attempted more shots per game in summer league, so the rookie will likely have a lot of scoring responsibilities with the Stampede. Once he makes it to the NBA, his minutes figure to be sparse while Mo Williams is healthy.

Source: NBA.com

I dont see him being the 6th man as long as Mo Williams is coming off the bench. He can certainly produce though when giving the minutes as hell be looked to score off the bench. Next year ill scoop him not sold yet.

He's worth a stash in 9-cat, 14-team+ daily roto leagues. I'm a pretty big fan of this kid and this guy doesn't need 30+ minutes to make an impact. He can play the 1 and the 2 and he can shoot lights-out. He'll overtake Mo by the end of this year but even off the bench he'll shoot enough 3s and score to make an impact.

1 person likes this

The Oregonian does not expect C.J. McCollum to crack the Blazers' rotation at all this season.

Coming off another fracture in his foot, McCollum will suit up for the D-League's Idaho Stampede on Friday night. He's expected to play a couple games down there and then rejoin the Blazers. But coach Terry Stotts prefers to ride a nine-man rotation and it's rock solid right now with Damian Lillard, Wes Matthews and Mo Williams holding down the three-guard rotation. Stotts has no reason to change things as he boasts a 26-7 record.

Kinda expected isn't it? They're not a rebuilding team so there's no incentive to give a rookie plenty of minutes for his development. He probably needs an injury to crack the rotation. I don't know we'll see.

1 person likes this

Mo Williams isn't a longterm investment, eventually his spot will be filled with McCollum. Just not this season, which gives them ample time to make sure he's fully healed (especially given the missteps around the league reinjuring people bring them back early). Next year with Mo Will on an expiring they'll deal him if McCollum shows them what they're hoping for

2 people like this

13 points, 6 rebounds, 6 assists,and 2 steals in 17 min in d league debut. looked great! hopefully he does crack the roation and overtakes mo williams or better yet mo gets hurt likie he always does

1 person likes this

"C.J. McCollum will be activated for Tuesday’s game when the Blazers face the Kings, according to Comcast Sportsnet.

McCollum has a ton of talent and fantasy owners should keep an eye on the 21-year-old rookie. McCollum is coming off a broken left foot, but appeared healthy in the D-League. The Blazers plan to bring him along slowly."

I'm telling you.

Do not sleep on this kid. This guy doesn't need 40 minutes to make an impact on a Fantasy NBA team. He is instant offense. If you find yourself in a larger daily league where you are stashing players like Terrence Ross, Jodie Meeks, Pero Antic, Foye, etc. or any inconsistent Milwaukee Buck, pick this guy up..you will not regret it. The Blazers are going to bring him ...and he will not disappoint. Mo williams will be an after thought by the end of this season. If there ever is a sleeper of the year, this is him.

How are T-Ross and Meeks stash material when theyre already producing? Terrence Ross is averaging 14/3rpg/2.9 3ptm over the last 7 days. Meeks is averaging 13/3/2 3ptm. These guys are playing starter minutes. Do you think CJ McCollum will be worth owning over those 2 players?

"C.J. McCollum will be activated for Tuesday’s game when the Blazers face the Kings, according to Comcast Sportsnet.

McCollum has a ton of talent and fantasy owners should keep an eye on the 21-year-old rookie. McCollum is coming off a broken left foot, but appeared healthy in the D-League. The Blazers plan to bring him along slowly."

I'm telling you.

Do not sleep on this kid. This guy doesn't need 40 minutes to make an impact on a Fantasy NBA team. He is instant offense. If you find yourself in a larger daily league where you are stashing players like Terrence Ross, Jodie Meeks, Pero Antic, Foye, etc. or any inconsistent Milwaukee Buck, pick this guy up..you will not regret it. The Blazers are going to bring him ...and he will not disappoint. Mo williams will be an after thought by the end of this season. If there ever is a sleeper of the year, this is him.

U sure? I have Jarrett Jack in a 20team league, do you think McCollum could do better than him?

Mo gets 24 min/game, that's the type of PT CJ is going to overtake. That being said, you can't get rid of Mo completely unless due to injury so we're looking at even less PT for CJ. He's going have to be really productive with very little minutes. I also don't see him cutting into Wesley Matthews PT either.