Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

crazybob60

Ivan Nova 2013 Outlook

128 posts in this topic

So...no thread at there for him yet, at least from what I could see, but he had a stellar of a game tonight in a spot start for Kuroda. Was great except for the Wieters HR.

CG, W, 9 IP, 102 PC, 3 H, 2 ER, 1 BB, 11 K's

Is it possible that we may see him in a start beyond this one?

I think he should take Phelps' spot, but even then where does Pineda go when he comes back? Interesting situation.

For some reason the peripherals don't match the surface stats with him. And it's not a situation where he just gives up a lot of contact / line-drives; his peripherals are across-the-board solid.

1.91 GB/FB

93.4 FB velo

60% FStrk%

10% SwStik%

For some reason the peripherals don't match the surface stats with him. And it's not a situation where he just gives up a lot of contact / line-drives; his peripherals are across-the-board solid.

1.91 GB/FB

93.4 FB velo

60% FStrk%

10% SwStik%

same thing happened last year and he sucked. Meanwhile the year before his peripherals were horrible and he had a good year

I like this guy and his stuff. Might not be a guy you start every time he pitches, but he's a pitcher I would want to have on my team, if he does end up back in the rotation.

Yankees placed RHP David Phelps on the 15-day disabled list, retroactive to June 5, with a right forearm strain.

Phelps had an MRI on Friday and will be shut down for 10 days. Ivan Nova will replace him in the starting rotation and start Wednesday against the Royals.

Seen enough of Nova, don't get your hopes up. That 2nd half run he had 2 years ago was a fluke. He throws 95-96 on his fastball, but it's straight as an arrow and his command is poor with it. His slider has no control and goes wherever it wants, and that's the pitch he falls in love with. He's been using a curve lately, which is what you saw last start with all of the low in the dirt strikeouts. I'd call it a hot run, but he's nothing special.

Edit: With the Yanks offense what it is now, he's going to lack run support. This is a guy that needs 4-5 runs a game to get a win.

1 person likes this

I agree with the above. Stuffwise the kid might have the best in baseball. Not kidding. But he can't contnrol any of it. I doubt that'll change

nice outing again today....anyone watching? has he figured something out or is just the royals?

nice outing again today....anyone watching? has he figured something out or is just the royals?

Little bit of both. Still gotta see more, personally. Much sharper than usual though (I'm a Yanks fan).

Little bit of both. Still gotta see more, personally. Much sharper than usual though (I'm a Yanks fan).

Yup, I streamed him today for that matchup. Was gonna drop him after this game, but that performance gives me some hesitation. He's looked very good lately. Especially against the orioles who probably have the scariest offense in the league. You're right though, we still gotta see more. Even Sloweys can look good in small sample sizes.

Nova has showed this dominance before, this isn't just something out of the blue. I believe he is healthy and finally pitching to his potential. I don't expect 8+ and 1 ER or less every start, but this guy can def be as solid as they come.

Is this guy sticking in the rotation now or will Phelps take his place?

I don't have any specific info, but how on earth could the Yankees demote him after those last five starts?

Phelps has been out since July 5 with a strained right forearm, but will be sent on a rehab assignment before he's activated from the disabled list. Yankees GM Brian Cashman confirmed that his spot in the starting rotation won't be guaranteed upon his return.

worried about that start @Tex?

Cleveland in Yankee Stadium is a pretty brutal matchup as well. Love the kid, but this next week might be challenging.

Velocity up this year...bb/k ratio better...g/f better. There's certainly worse gambles to take out there.

going at the rangers today. debating not starting him today. they got shut down yesterday by Miguel gonzalez (nothing bad about him but an offense like that....)

Ummmm. CC is pitching in Boston today..... Nova goes tomorrow

When I reviewed all free agent pitchers during the all-star break, this was the guy who set bells off on my computer, to borrow a term from the great Paul DePodesta. Absolutely love what I saw in the numbers:

3.00 FIP/ 3.19 xFIP/ 3.88 tERA/ 3.11 SIERA

3.38 K/BB

F-Strike 60.0%

SwStrike 10.5%

O-Swing 34.9 %

He's utilizing a 93 mph 2-seamer 18.5% of the time this year and he's cut back on the use of his slider. His curve, which he throws a third of the time, has graded as a plus pitch.

He has also limited lefities to a .239 wOBA.

I'm excited to watch his outing tomorrow as I will be running him out there in Arlington, a move I never thought I'd make. This guy is my pick for SP pickup of the 2nd half.

1 person likes this