Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

SuperJoint

Dwayne Allen 2013 Outlook

22 posts in this topic

Any chance you get 10th-rd value while taking him toward the end of the draft?

Not expecting much but why not wait and take him if you miss out on that last couple TEs in the tier above (Davis, Olson). I just wonder if anyone's heard how he'll be used this year.

He racked up over 500 yards last year as second fiddle in a 2-TE set - could he maintain that or possibly improve it?

Well, as much as I feel he could have a little bit of upside, this is closer in similarity to the Lion's TE situation. Fleener is a solid pass-catcher, has some familiarity with Andrew Luck from college, and now the offensive coordinator from both Fleener and Luck's senior year in college is the offensive coordinator for the Colts. That would seem to suggest that if either TE improves / has a breakout, it's more likely to be Fleener.

Allen is someone to monitor I think early in the season, to see if that's the case. If he continues to build on last season, he could be a mid-level TE pickup, maybe you play him on bye weeks or something, or if your starting TE lacerates his spleen.

So according to ProFootballFocus last year Allen was

• 2nd best overall TE, Gronk was #1
  • 2nd best pass blocking TE
  • 3rd best run blocking TE
  • 9th best receiving TE

He also set the colts rookie record for receptions by a TE and had the 13th most yards by a rookie TE in the past 25 years. You have to think with the addition of Gosder Cherilus, Donald Thomas, and Ahmad Bradshaw, by far the best pass blocking RB last year, Allen is going to be asked to block less. More importantly unlike Fleener he'll almost never come off the field. Donnie Avery's 125 targets from last season are gone, the odds the Reggie Wayne see's nearly 200 targets again this season are slim, and Allen had 66 last season so he'd only need ~50 more to be in the top 5 in TE targets.

1 person likes this

Not a bad guy to target for $1 in an auction if you decide to blow your wad on QB/RB/WR studs. He's a TE that no one is talking about that could pleasantly surprise.

Rumor swirling around on Twitter right now is that he's got a fractured 5th metatarsal in his foot, and the 2nd opinion is in regards to the procedure.

5th metatarsal would basically mean it's very similar to the Ahmad Bradshaw injury.

Where does that leave Fleener in this west coast offense if it's a serious injury?

Well, if it's like Bradshaw's injury, if it requires surgery Allen could still potentially make it back in time to play maybe the 2nd half of the season (assuming he'd be IR'ed with designation for return in that case). If it's the 5th metatarsal, I think they insert a screw into the outside of the bone to keep it connected and then it heals and he's able to run on it again.

I wouldn't go break the bank on Fleener just yet. Allen might even be able to play through it with just rest, no surgery. Or he could get the surgery, come back maybe around Week 8, and then Fleener would have just been an early-season TE2 with upside.

Yeah, just wondering if this makes Fleener any more enticing as a late round sleeper.

Yeah, just wondering if this makes Fleener any more enticing as a late round sleeper.

Maybe a Sudfeld + Fleener combo.

soo, hes starting over fleener?

Allen is the move TE, Fleener is the in-line TE.

anyone want to throw out some projections on allen? seems like the buzz was around him before his injury a few weeks back but now everything has gone quiet.

Love this guy as my 2nd TE this year. He has a lot more talent than Fleener in my opinion and it will shine through.

Has he been practicing?

Just got back to practice today.

Where do you guys rank him? Ahead of M. Bennett and Cameron, Heath Miller?

1. Cameron

2a. Bennett

2b. Allen

3. Miller

thinking while my gronk is gone for a few weeks this is guy use. Him or Fleener since both are often available.

I am worried they both cut into eachothers production and make each other useless a.la eifert and gresham

Does Allen have a higher ceiling than Julius Thomas?

I believe so. Too many mouths for Peyton in Denver

soo, hes starting over fleener?

Allen is the move TE, Fleener is the in-line TE.

I got it backwards. Sorry guys

Coach Chuck Pagano confirmed Dwayne Allen (foot) will play in Sunday's opener against the Raiders.

Allen will play the in-line tight end role to Coby Fleener's "move" spot. We still don't have a good feel on which one will see more targets, but we can project Fleener's looks to come further down the field. Allen doesn't have the elite foot speed or YAC potential. Ideally, owners will take a wait-and-see approach here despite a dream matchup against the Raiders.