Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Posting In The Clutch

Brett Wallace 2013 Outlook

12 posts in this topic

Wallace has always been a AAAA player. But he has been really good since he's been recalled. Not saying I'm a believer, but it's starting to get hard to ignore. Anyone seen anything different with his approach?

Haven't watched him hit or anything, but I'm always intrigued by guys who were once top prospects. He's tearing it up so far in July (1.141 OPS even before today's homer) and would be better off in a platoon (1-19 with 11 K's against lefties), but he's a worthwhile add in AL-only and deeper mixed leagues IMO.

Agree with Overkill. Chris Davis was once a top prospect who floundered for a few years before the O's lucked out with him last year. If Wallace turns out to be half as good as Davis the last two years. . .

is he playing everyday? no platoon?

His number of bats per week suggest he still isn't an everyday player.

Also hitting .220, even though he will get a lions share of meaningless AB fastballs to hit, Im still not buying quite yet, though I am a fan of guys who were at one time a major prospect getting a chance.

Judging from his at-bats I'd guess he's starting against righties and sitting against lefties, but not getting pulled against lefty relievers.

His 3Bag eligibility has value. He could slug around .500 the rest of the way out and if he can actually get some guys on around him (Altuve, Castro, Carter, ?) the counting stats could be good enough too for 12-team ownership

Also hitting .220, even though he will get a lions share of meaningless AB fastballs to hit, Im still not buying quite yet, though I am a fan of guys who were at one time a major prospect getting a chance.

He's a good bench player for me...I love having players with multi position eligibility who are cheap ($1) in our league. He's sat once in the last 7 days but RBI's are tough to come by in that lineup. Yes, he is hitting only .220 now but considering his avg was .071 when he was brought back from the minors on 6/26, that .220 looks a whole lot better in my eyes anyways.

.320/.414/.720 so far in August after a .273/.325/.545 July

I'd say he's still only relevant in 14-team leagues or larger, but for the gamblers out there he's been about as good as any 1B/3B out there in the last month and has the top prospect pedigree behind him.