Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

tremixt

Anthony Davis 2013-2014 Season Outlook

Owned him last year. I enjoyed the experience, but I definitely soured towards the end when he began picking up injuries in bundles. After a few months, I've forgotten about his nicks and I'm excited and ready to hop back on the wagon.

Definite second rounder? I'd be more comfortable taking him in the 3rd, but I doubt he'll last that long. I expect a jump across the board for him.

Ceiling projections for next year

18.0 pts , 2.0 blks, 1.3 stls, 9.0 rebs, 77% FT, 52% FG, 1.2 to

i'd be scared for his health if they're throwing him in there against starting centers every game. he's fantasy gold when he's on the court tho.

I actually think this guy has a lot of work to do on his game. He really needs to bulk up and add a back to the basket arsenal. He will be solid again, but he needs to round out the game a bit to take another step forward. I actually wonder if he'll be able to block more shots this year? I was very surprised he didnt average at least 2 blocks again given his college profile.

The injuries were a minor thing. Davis performed when he was on the court. The biggest reason why Davis didn't win ROTY was because Monty Williams is a micromanager and would constantly yank AD's minutes. It was extremely frustrating and I hope it doesn't happen again this season.

Splits post ASB:

15.3 PPG, 9.3 RPG, 1.1 APG, 1.5 BPG, 1.2 SPG, 1.3 TO, 52% FG, 81% FT in 24 games.

That line as a 19 year old is filthy. I think things are really going to click for Davis this season.

I actually think this guy has a lot of work to do on his game. He really needs to bulk up and add a back to the basket arsenal. He will be solid again, but he needs to round out the game a bit to take another step forward. I actually wonder if he'll be able to block more shots this year? I was very surprised he didnt average at least 2 blocks again given his college profile.

As he gets stronger, the back to the basket game will come. He has solid foot work. As of right now, he's court awareness, rebounding, and ability to hit perimeter shots should be enough for him to get to the 17-18 mark. I'm really excited to see what he adds to his game next season.

As he gets stronger, the back to the basket game will come. He has solid foot work. As of right now, he's court awareness, rebounding, and ability to hit perimeter shots should be enough for him to get to the 17-18 mark. I'm really excited to see what he adds to his game next season.

Also, a big man who can come into the league and knock down 15 footers right away is so rare. The other thing about Davis that is very impressive is his awareness without the ball. He moves exceptionally well on offense and has an innate sense of what positions to put himself in to get the best scoring opportunity. This guy is a really advanced player for his age. Most big men who come into the league now are just clueless, but Davis' basketball IQ is tremendous.

The key to understanding Davis' game is the fact that in HS he grew something like 10 inches. He went from being a guard to being a near 7-footer. That's where I believe the higher basketball IQ than most young bigs comes from as well as the ability to hit a mid-range jumper. That's also where the lack of a back to the basket game came from as well as his not having fully filled out.

If he can stay healthy I see a nice improvement over last year's numbers. He's definitely a special player.

Posted · Hidden by Tarheels_2433, July 16, 2013 - No reason given
Hidden by Tarheels_2433, July 16, 2013 - No reason given

Just realized this should be 2013-14...

Can we get a mod to edit the title? Thanks!

Targeting him in all drafts. His block and steal numbers are just mouth watering. I doubt he stays on the board until round 3 although I'd ideally want to scoop here. If healthy, he's capable of a top 10 finish imo.

assuming he is healthy, I'm super high on Davis this season. that's a big assumption, but here's an interesting breakdown of Davis' numbers compared to some 19 yo phenoms of the past, specifically Bosh, Howard, and KG. short story is that he stacks up pretty damn well

http://www.bourbonstreetshots.com/2013/07/01/anthony-davis-will-be-a-superstar/

First, you’ll notice that Anthony Davis is already scoring at a higher rate than any of his comparables – and only the 20 year-old Dwight Howard was more efficient. Davis also has already out-produced his comparables, at both ages 19 and 20, in block percentage, steal percentage, turnover rate, and only Howard managed to beat him on the glass – barely as a 19 year old and soundly as a 20 year old.

He had a phenomenal rookie year filled with dunks and lots of blocks. the blocks are always going to be there with him, that wasnt really a concern of anyones. However the offense he displayed last year looked extremely good by 19 year old rookie standards and hes only going to continue to improve his offensive game year by year. I wouldnt be shocked if i go with him in the 3rd/

Can anyone give a bit of insight on Davis's relatively low minutes last season? Even when healthy, Monty didn't really seem to unleash him at all. If Davis could finish #25 overall at just 28.8 minutes per game, he's going to be a beast when given 30+. Also, I remember he dealt with a slew of minor injuries last year. He only played in 64 games last season. What sort of injuries was he nagged with?

Can anyone give a bit of insight on Davis's relatively low minutes last season? Even when healthy, Monty didn't really seem to unleash him at all. If Davis could finish #25 overall at just 28.8 minutes per game, he's going to be a beast when given 30+. Also, I remember he dealt with a slew of minor injuries last year. He only played in 64 games last season. What sort of injuries was he nagged with?

He had a fluky concussion early in the season and then had some ankle sprains throughout the season as well. Even when fully healthy, Monty would yank Davis out for long stretches for no apparent reason. He'd put in Jason Smith and Ryan Anderson and let Davis sit on the bench, even if Davis started out the game really well. It really was frustrating because Davis would finish with something like 9 points and 9 boards with 2 blocks by half time, only to see 5-7 minutes the rest of the game. As long as Monty doesn't do what he did last season, Davis is going to be huge this year in fantasy.

EDIT: And the only reason I can think of why Monty did mess with AD's minutes was because he felt that he wasn't big or strong enough to handle a lot of minutes at the center position. So whenever Ryan Anderson came in the game, Davis had to sit.

He had a fluky concussion early in the season and then had some ankle sprains throughout the season as well. Even when fully healthy, Monty would yank Davis out for long stretches for no apparent reason. He'd put in Jason Smith and Ryan Anderson and let Davis sit on the bench, even if Davis started out the game really well. It really was frustrating because Davis would finish with something like 9 points and 9 boards with 2 blocks by half time, only to see 5-7 minutes the rest of the game. As long as Monty doesn't do what he did last season, Davis is going to be huge this year in fantasy.

EDIT: And the only reason I can think of why Monty did mess with AD's minutes was because he felt that he wasn't big or strong enough to handle a lot of minutes at the center position. So whenever Ryan Anderson came in the game, Davis had to sit.

I had AD on all my fantasy teams and had NBALP last year so I watched all the Hornets games I could (yup, I'm the one) so I feel like I have a pretty good insight on this. If you ask me, Davis was pulled almost out of mercy at times. I've never seen a PF/C get his a$$ kicked under the basket like that before lol. I'm exaggerating a bit, but he would seriously get thrown around and often pulled soon after. He would also do that thing smaller bigs do where they wait for a rebound out of bounds then run back in and I think it annoyed Monty for whatever reason.

All that being said though, I think year after year much ado is made about nothing with younger guys being too small. With the highly structured nutritional and training programs these teams have these days that can get Durant to 240lbs it's really not an issue anymore. Think about where your body was at 19y/o compared to where it was at 23 or 28 or 30. His body will develop and his game will develop along with it. He's got the IQ, the instincts, the athleticism, and soon he will have the size/presence. If this guy can pull down 9 boards and 2 blocks per with this 19 y/o spindly body, I'm scared to see him at 28. Also, as @nickalero99 I think pointed out, he grew like 10" in the later years of high school. Typically, men who experience puberty later grow later (which Davis did) and their bodies take a few extra years to start putting on weight.

I have a feeling by draft time comes around AD will be a lock to go in the top 25. He really improved a lot after the ASB and with the added weapons they acquired this offseason I can see his FG% increasing though his points might hover around 15-16pts per game.

I have a feeling by draft time comes around AD will be a lock to go in the top 25. He really improved a lot after the ASB and with the added weapons they acquired this offseason I can see his FG% increasing though his points might hover around 15-16pts per game.

Well he's definitely worth it, that is, if he can stay healthy. I don't think he's as injury prone as he seems, but I think the real issues is that New Orleans knows that he is the future of their franchise and will do absolutely everything (rightfully so) to ensure that he stays healthy over the long term. This will most likely result in him missing games here and there no matter what. Once his body matures and he bulks up a bit this will be less of an issue, but the guy is 19y/o and a late bloomer who resembles a pogo-stick with arms, so little tweaks and pulls are inevitable. I still think he's worth a late 2nd/early 3rd round pick though. Most star players make some of their biggest gains statistically between years 1-2-3, so for a guy that was ranked 25th overall last year and 12th overall if we look at just the last 2 months of the season, I'd say late 2nd/early 3rd will be an absolute steal if he stays on the court.

I think the offseason trades work in Davis's favor. With the team being better, they may not baby him as much. You saw the same thing with Steph this year. He played through some ankle injuries that he wouldn't have in previous years when the team was playing for nothing.

I expect the hype train to get rolling when September comes a long. 13th overall in 9 cat before the all-star break. A better (fantasy) rookie year than Kyrie who was going in the first last year. If anyone is expecting to get Davis any later than the late 2nd you're going to be disappointed. IMO, he's a lock for first round value if he stays healthy and hits 32 mpg.

Im expecting more fast breaks and more possessions per game with the athletes they added this summer which in turn should help out Davis to get easy baskets. As good as Greivis was last year, he was sloth like in transition.

I agree with the above assessments. I think I'm willing to take a gamble on him with a early second round pick and just hope his health holds up with a summer of NBA level weight lifting to help protect him. This guy is pure upside at this point. Though I guess I won't be the only one hoping to get his early.

I'm in love with Anthony Davis' fantasy game.

I might be in the minority, but I'd be willing to draft him 1st/2nd round (somewhere from 7-15) in a keeper league. The big payoff might not be for a few years while his body develops, but I think the payoff is going to be really, really big. Im willing to admit this is just my gut and I could be wrong, there's plenty of questions about him that will stop people from rating him as highly as I do, but in the future I expect Davis' career arc to support what Im saying now.

Very very jealous of any of you that have Davis as a keeper.

I'm in love with Anthony Davis' fantasy game.

I might be in the minority, but I'd be willing to draft him 1st/2nd round (somewhere from 7-15) in a keeper league. The big payoff might not be for a few years while his body develops, but I think the payoff is going to be really, really big. Im willing to admit this is just my gut and I could be wrong, there's plenty of questions about him that will stop people from rating him as highly as I do, but in the future I expect Davis' career arc to support what Im saying now.

Very very jealous of any of you that have Davis as a keeper.

I definitely don't think you're in the minority if you say you're going to draft him in spots 7-15 in a keeper laegue, I mean this guy IS a future superstar, just look at that post someone made on the first page re: how he stacks up the other younger stars in the league (Kobe, Howard, etc); he was right there with all of them it was pretty impressive. I honestly don't think you'd be making a bad move to in a re-draft league to draft him anywhere in the 2nd (esp w/ roto 9-cat) besides the fact that you could probably get him later. For someone with the 1st/2nd pick in the draft in a re-draft league, if you could go LBJ/Durant with your first pick and Davis/Batum or George with your back to back snake picks, wow I wouldn't want to mess with that team!

He's looking good fellas, his outside shot looks silky smooth!

Wow, where did you find that video TarHeels? Is that the Team USA select guys? Is the full game anywhere I would love to watch it during the drought of summer ball.