Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

tremixt

Anthony Davis 2013-2014 Season Outlook

but I think they might be too good too fast.

I think this is a trend amongst smaller market team and/or teams without a strong winning tradition. The idea being that no free agent is ever going to sign with you unless you pay them more money or they believe they are going to win during the term of the contract they are signing which is in most cases 4 years max. In the past, teams teams would overpay for talent. Everyone criticizes teams for "bidding against themselves" but in most cases they know that all they have to offer is money. Teams like the Pelicans, Bobcats and Warriors for example will only be able to sign quality free agents if get better. The Bogut trade had a lot to do with that and the Al Jefferson signing was about that in Charlotte. It's a bit of a catch 22 but you can't win until you win. Now that the Warriors are winning, they signed Igoudala and were deep in the hunt for Dwight Howard. Neither of those guys would have considered the W's 3-4 years ago no matter how much money was on the table. That is where the Pelicans are trying to get to.

Also, they may believe that EC is as healthy as he'll ever be. Therefore, get an experienced pg to make him look like a total stud and cash him in for a better contract or something. Just a theory.....

Try as they might, I think they locked themselves up to mediocrity...

Team friendly contracts is an essential part to building a great team, so perhaps they could've used another year of tanking to acquire cheap talent to pair up with Anthony Davis.

unless you believe in a record-breaking sophomore turnaround from Austin Rivers.

As you can see, I'm really not a fan of the offseason they had.

I absolutely have already wiped Rivers from my memory haha. How is he even going to get PT next year? He's setup to fail even if he will have failed anyway.

I'm also not a fan of their offseason. I think they had a great situation and went and ruined it. Smashed it to smithereens. Much like changing their name to Pelicans (I'm kinda liking it now, but most people I've seen online ridicule it). OK maybe not that extreme, but they went the safe route rather than reaching for the championship.

I feel like New Orleans having Jrue Holiday, Eric Gordon, Ryan Anderson and Tyreke Evans could suffocate Davis' offensive stats a bit. I have a gut feeling that Eric Gordon will stay healthy this season too. And the fact that Jrue Holiday shot below 40% after the ASB makes me think that he's more concerned about scoring rather than passing... To be fair though, I guess he wasn't exactly surrounded with the best players in Philly, but still.

Yes, that would seem like a reach to me. I think the most optimistic owners would project Davis for something like 17+ points, 9+ boards, and 2+ blocks. Ironically, this is what Tim Duncan produced last year who will definitely go off boards well after Davis.

Do you guys think drafting him with the 1st pick is maybe a reach?

He can still be a buy low as the 1st overall pick.

I am a huge Davis fan, but when it came to my current draft I could not pull the trigger and take him ahead of Batum in the mid-2nd round (Davis went with the next pick). I think the Pelicans are in a tough spot because they need a center and if they play Davis at the 5 in small lineups he is going to be exposed there for another year or two until he gets stronger. I think he is going to have an uptick in stats due to minutes increasing, but the big jump won't happen until year 3 or 4. I am already having a little buyer's remorse with Batum.

Projections: 15.5 ppg, 11.5 boards, 2 blks, 1.5 steals, 50%/78%

Batum I think might even drop a little bit this year due to a decrease in minutes. Hard to say. Sorry, but the same would go for Davis as well with the horde of guards joining the team (taking away scoring opps). I guess the difference for Davis is that he and Anderson are still the only capable big men. Stiemsa is aiming to start, and that says something. Either way though these are strong second picks, with Davis offering more potential.

I have the 6th pick in my 14 team 9cat Roto league and I'm highly considering AD... Look at his last 20 games , 15, 10, 1.5 stls 1.8 blks, solid %s low TOS..he won't be there for my 2nd pick at 23..what really has me excited is his developing silky smooth J!! He is a very unique talent..almost reminds me of KG with a little more athleticism and better ball handling..last time I pulled something like this was LBJs sophomore year..he was pre ranked like 16-18 and I took him 7th..got the same feeling about AD this year....that jumper is going to be LETHAL!

I'm looking at KGs sophomore year numbers..a scrawny 19-20 yr old. I think these two are highly comparable in skill set with AD maybe being even a bit more athletic! KG a better passer though..

38.3 MINS: 17,8,3.1. 1.4 stls,2.1 Blks 2.3 TOS

49.9fg% 75.5ft%

Those are borderline top 10 numbers..though i expect AD to be more around the 35ish range with minutes I think he will be close to these numbers..Im probably talking myself into it, but I think he's a safe pick as early as mid to late 1st.. He has as good a chance to return that value as anyone else there..

The more I look at AD, the more I feel like he's going to make that jump to low 1st round material in 9-cat. I mean, he was ranked #26 as a rookie with 28 min/game. The only thing I'm worried about is injuries.

I don't think Holiday/Evans joining will hinder him that much..he's their star big man and the finisher at the rim for them. They may even draw more attention away from him and boost his FG%.

Taking him 1st round is a bit risky, but if I have a low pick..I'm likely taking him early 2nd round.

I just don't see how you can take Davis over any of Al Horford, Al Jeff, Marc Gasol, or Serge Ibaka. Not only are all 4 likely to be better this year than Davis they are all more durable as well

Keep in mind AD was a rookie last season and was also injured for a quarter of it. Not to mention he was scrawny and his body wasn't even developed. If we extrapolate last season's numbers to 34 min, we get:

51.6%, 75.1%, 15.8 pts, 9.6 reb, 1.2 ast, 1.4 stl, 2.1 blk, 1.6 TO

Compared to the 4 bigs:

Marc Gasol: 49.4%, 84.8%, 14.1 pts, 7.8 reb, 4 ast, 1 stl, 1.7 blk, 2 TO

Al Horford: 54.3%, 64.4%, 17 pts, 10.2 reb, 3.2 ast, 1.1 stl, 1.1 blk, 2.0 TO

Ibaka: 57.3%, 74.9%, 13.2 pts, 7.7 reb, 0.5 ast, 0.4 stl, 3 blk, 1.6 TO

Al Jefferson: 49.4%, 77%, 17.8 pts, 9.2 reb, 2.1 ast, 1 stl, 1.1 blk, 1.3 TO

His extrapolated numbers are close. Add in a stronger body, more experience and more development and maybe we have something. He also played 64 games last season and might not even had played to the best of his ability coming off injury. All of the other big men have had 60+ game seasons before as well..so I don't know if they're necessarily more durable.

Practically every stud prospect jumps up in the rankings in their sophomore year. AD only needs to go up 13 spots to get into the 1st round. So, I don't think it's out of the question..it's just that the other guys are proven.

21, 3 2stls 2blks....he's going to be a hidden cat MONSTER!

Anyone watch the game? Does he look like he's gain some noticeable weight?

At this point, It's only a matter of how much his body can take the rigorous and full NBA season workload. He has top 3 'potential'. I'm not saying its gonna happen this season but I can see him being ranked just behind LBJ and KD in the future.

"What do they call a Power Forward who gets 3 rebounds a game?"

"a small forward."

- Charles Barkley

Lol while I love his steals and blocks, along with potential for 18-22ppg..I hope his rebounding STAYS at the 9-10 range atleast.. if he can do that...He'd become the best PF in fantasy.

"a small forward."

- Charles Barkley

Lol while I love his steals and blocks, along with potential for 18-22ppg..I hope his rebounding STAYS at the 9-10 range atleast.. if he can do that...He'd become the best PF in fantasy.

No way Davis average close to 18-22ppg. With Tyreke,Jrue, Anderson in the line up I think his ceiling would be 15ppg

His ceiling is lowered with the presence of a 'healthy' Gordon and Evans imo. Plus, he would still have to surpass the other tier 2 PF talent: Jefferson, Aldridge, etc. That's not even counting that he would have to top Love and Ibaka this season ;). 15/9/2 with 1+ steals and 2+ blocks seem like locks to me. In spite of his tremendous potential, AD might not even be a top 5 PF/C this year <_<

"a small forward."

- Charles Barkley

His ceiling is lowered with the presence of a 'healthy' Gordon and Evans imo. Plus, he would still have to surpass the other tier 2 PF talent: Jefferson, Aldridge, etc. That's not even counting that he would have to top Love and Ibaka this season ;). 15/9/2 with 1+ steals and 2+ blocks seem like locks to me. In spite of his tremendous potential, AD might not even be a top 5 PF/C this year <_<

"a small forward."

- Charles Barkley

In 9-cat leagues (tos) those basically are top 5 PF/C numbers...that's his absolute floor though! He's a serious threat for 1.5 stls with 2+ blk s which is insane...would anyone be in shock if AD ended the season as a top 10 player? This kid has a very special once in a generation skill set..

Theres no way hell reach 20 ppg but he will definitely will be close to it, great chance of getting 10+ rpg and I think it is safe to say 2+ bpg he will be a monster this year. He somehow made it to the bottom of the 2nd round in my draft and I was able to grab him and I consider this an absolute steal.

Posted · Hidden by Red Sox Nation, October 8, 2013 - No reason given
Hidden by Red Sox Nation, October 8, 2013 - No reason given

So if I had 10th pick in my draft...and after picking up Paul George, would you go with AD, Horford, or Ibaka? Or would you guys go after the guards (Wall, Rose, Wade, etc)

EDIT:

I just did a mock and after picking up Paul George, I nabbed AD over Horford and Ibaka, then in 3rd round I picked up Lillard. and then Kobe in 4th. Did I do alright in this mock?

Scored 25 pts with ease in 26 min of action last night, maybe breaking the 20 ppg barrier isn't out of the question for AD? You can already see he's much improved all around from watching him play these two preseason games

Here is a cool story..I have the 6th pick and I'm taking AD..he's the REAL DEAL!

Scored 25 pts with ease in 26 min of action last night, maybe breaking the 20 ppg barrier isn't out of the question for AD? You can already see he's much improved all around from watching him play these two preseason games

Gordon and Tyreke didn't play though.