Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

aaa1

Gordon Hayward 2013-2014 Season Outlook

698 posts in this topic

What do you think about Gordon Hayward's fantasy prospects as the starting SF in Utah? I've never been a big fan, but the opportunity intrigues me. One thing I like is his ability to hit the three, he made 1.4 in 28 minutes per game, but more impressively he shot 41.5% from beyond the arc.

Projections? I think we could see something like: 16pts, 2 treys, 4 rebs, 4 ast, 1 stl. That's a pretty decent line depending on where you can get him in the draft.

I was a doubter last year, but he really showed me. One of the right moves my main opponent made against me. He should get a decent amount of shots this year. Will Mo be back? That's a big factor for him too. Favors should take less shots than Millsap, and the same for Kanter. I think his scoring could go from 17-20 pts. 17 being the safer bet.

I think baseline 17 - 1.5 - 3 - 3 - .8

Optimal 20 - 2 - 4 - 4 - 1

He's a solid player, and I wouldn't overlook him on draft day. 89th ranked player last year by average in 9 cat, which would be 8th round value. He will be gone before that this year.

For all the hoopla being directed at Favors and Kanter, I think people are underestimating the impact of the departure of Millsap and Jefferson on Hayward. There's a lot more touches to be had on the offensive end, and despite their skills, I seriously doubt two youngsters are going to step right in and fully replace the usage of Millsap and Jefferson (particularly Jefferson - pass the ball to him and you'll never see it again). I think Hayward will have a far more significant offensive role this year, which is quite important since he's always been stuck with an inconsistent 26-32 minute role in previous years. During the last month of last season where he got 34.7 minutes, he posted top 50 numbers. He's got a very versatile game despite his athletic limitations, and I'd be eager to pick him in the 60-70s. I'd totally understand if someone were to reach even earlier though. I must say that it'll take a near miracle for him to average 20 points though. Even 17 is a stretch.

1 person likes this

For all the hoopla being directed at Favors and Kanter, I think people are underestimating the impact of the departure of Millsap and Jefferson on Hayward. There's a lot more touches to be had on the offensive end, and despite their skills, I seriously doubt two youngsters are going to step right in and fully replace the usage of Millsap and Jefferson (particularly Jefferson - pass the ball to him and you'll never see it again). I think Hayward will have a far more significant offensive role this year, which is quite important since he's always been stuck with an inconsistent 26-32 minute role in previous years. During the last month of last season where he got 34.7 minutes, he posted top 50 numbers. He's got a very versatile game despite his athletic limitations, and I'd be eager to pick him in the 60-70s. I'd totally understand if someone were to reach even earlier though. I must say that it'll take a near miracle for him to average 20 points though. Even 17 is a stretch.

I don't think Hayward really is at a disadvantage with his athleticism, in fact I think he's above average for his size/position combo. I just think we're not used to seeing guys that are basically translucent and 6'8" with solid athleticism. I don't know why this is, but there are plenty of very athletic white guys in the NBA's history/present, but they always seem to be dark haired like guys from former Yugoslavia or Italians or Spaniards etc. 9 times out of 10 when you see a guy of Northern European decent in the NBA he's a bruiser and a big, or if he's a guard he's a pure shooter (I think of Novak as the prototype for this kind of guy). I was going to say Kirilenko was one of the rare exceptions but Russians are more Slav's than Northern Europeans. Maybe the Barry's?

Anyway, I totally got off track there, but I am loving the Hayward pick next year. He has a game that is just built for fantasy, especially roto, and he's the reason the Jazz were willing to let both bigs goes beyond Favors/Kanter. I'm looking at his post ASB #'s from last year (once the Jazz figured out there rotation a little bit more, they were a wreck all year though it seemed) and he put up:

Gordon Hayward (SG/SF): 33min/g - 15.1p 1.9thr 3.5reb 3.7ast 1.0stl 0.6blk 1.4to on 44%FG/44%thr/84%FT

Those are some solid numbers if you ask me, and those were deflated in my opinion but the lack of defined role and moving in and out of the starting 5 constantly since they liked him running the 2nd unit against better teams. I would expect a 10-20% increase in most of his #'s.

Looks like he's starting his summer off on the right foot, too. Posted today, "multiple sources report Gordon Hayward and Doug McDermott have been the stand-outs of Team USA mini-camp so far".

4 people like this

As long as Ty Corbin doesn't keep messing with his minutes, I think he's a great play. He's like a slightly poorer man's Chandler Parsons. Actually he is pretty much on the same level, dependent on his MPG.

As long as Ty Corbin doesn't keep messing with his minutes, I think he's a great play. He's like a slightly poorer man's Chandler Parsons. Actually he is pretty much on the same level, dependent on his MPG.

I see him as equal if not superior to Parsons actually

Gordon Hayward said he has been asked to be more of a playmaker this season.

The Jazz basically have a clean slate compared to last year, losing four of their top-five scorers from 2012-13. Hayward seems to be a lock to improve on his 14.1 points per game and his second-half 3-point shooting also gives him plenty of hope for a breakout season. The Butler swingman made 44.0 percent of his triples after the break and he's someone we're targeting in the middle rounds.

I think Hayward's assists are going to take a real solid rise to around 4.5 per game. I see him handling the ball a lot this year, and added assists will only add to his already strong value. I'm buying, as I'm sure most are.

I believe this kid will overtake Kanter and Favors as the premier breakout star for the jazz this year.

1 person likes this

What's his projected ADP?

I like hayward's game. Especially that January month of his last season. He is a notorious slow starter, so you can trade for him early in the season, then you can have a bargain after that.

Christ, I just picked him up off the WW in one of my leagues. Used my wavier position on him, but I was last anyway (got first pick), so he was basically free, lol. I guess everybody is asleep until the season starts.

I would def. try to target him this year. I love the hustle and defense this kid brings every game. Whats not to like ? Depending on how much of a green light he gets on the offense end I view him as a Nic Batum type player.

I got him in the 80's in a public draft (see team#2 in my sig). To be honest, I think he can go in the low 100's if you are doing the public draft against people you don't know... a definite steal.

With friends who are fantasy veterans, you may have to draft as early as the 50's maybe. But 70's or 80's is a good steal. You'd be really risking losing him though by waiting.

This guy reminds me so much of Manu without the injuries. He's gonna beast.

Projection -

FG% - 45

3s - 1.5

FT% - 83

PPG - 17

RPG - 6

APG - 4.5

SPG - 1

BPG - 1

Only concern is that I think he'll avg 2.5-3 Turnover per game.

I am targeting Hayward in all my leagues. There just arent many options to score the ball in Utah. He has improved him game every season and he could be one of the best values in the draft. I could see his floor and ceilings as follows,

Floor-15.8ppg-3.5rpg-3.8apg-1 steal-.4 blocks-1.8 3ptm-43%fgs-81%ft%-2,8 tos.

Ceiling- 18.1ppg-3.8rpg-4.7apg-1..2steals-.5 blocks- 2.1 3ptm-81%fts-3.2tos

1 person likes this

I am targeting Hayward in all my leagues. There just arent many options to score the ball in Utah. He has improved him game every season and he could be one of the best values in the draft. I could see his floor and ceilings as follows,

Floor-15.8ppg-3.5rpg-3.8apg-1 steal-.4 blocks-1.8 3ptm-43%fgs-81%ft%-2,8 tos.

Ceiling- 18.1ppg-3.8rpg-4.7apg-1..2steals-.5 blocks- 2.1 3ptm-81%fts-3.2tos

Reasonable but i think he has more upside in blk and ft% like 0.8 and 84% I managed to get him in about every mock i participated in 6th-7th round (12 team yahoo)

Depending on who Utah brings in as a stopgap at PG in the wake of the Burke injury, Hayward might just wind up being their primary playmaker for the start of the season.