Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

SportsFanEvan

Carlos Correa - SS HOU

I didn't see a thread on him, but if there is already one then let me know.

Anyways through around 310 AB this year Correa (6-4, 190) is hitting: .310/.404/.460 with 7 HR, 55 RBI and 9 SB (7 CS). He also sports an impressive 11% BB rate and a 15% K rate.

At this point I think he is the top SS prospect. At only 18 years old, he's shown solid power and speed with great plate discipline. Barring any injuries I can see him up in 2015 and hopefully making a Machado type impact.

Correa is landing in the top 10 of all 2014 prospect lists. Comps are A-Rod, Machado. Power and speed are devolving and like Evan said above, a 2015 eta is about right.

My guess for #1 overall prospect this time next year. Seems to have it all, and he's so young - scouts go nuts over that.

#3 on Scout.com, #5 on Baseball Prospectus, #4 for Law... top 10 just about everywhere.

As valuable a "grab and stash" type prospect as any out there. Should already be gone in serious dynasty leagues.

Will most likely be the #1 guy next year. Him or Baez

Don't see it being Baez as he will either play his way to the bigs this year or regress. I think its a small chance he plays well and stays in AAA all year.

So if Buxton is gone then Correa, Bryant or Russell are the logical choices for top guy next year.

Will most likely be the #1 guy next year. Him or Baez

Don't see it being Baez as he will either play his way to the bigs this year or regress. I think its a small chance he plays well and stays in AAA all year.

So if Buxton is gone then Correa, Bryant or Russell are the logical choices for top guy next year.

I think it'll be Correa or Russell with Giolito as my sleeper pick. Bryant could be up this year and there's also a small chance Russell comes up as well.

Didn't like all the buzz Baez was getting, decided to hit a couple jimmy jacks. Don't forget about me.

Didn't like all the buzz Baez was getting, decided to hit a couple jimmy jacks. Don't forget about me.

I still prefer Correa slightly as an all around hitter but you're talking about the potential difference between a Ferrari and a Lamborghini.

It comes down to which of the following you think is more likely, Correa grows into his power or Baez learns to control the strike zone better.

Carlos Correa left Wednesday's game against the Nationals after being hit on the hand by a pitch.

Correa took a Tyler Clippard pitch to the hand and crumpled to the ground in pain. He left the game shortly after. More should be known on his status shortly.

X-rays showed no damage in Carlos Correa's left hand.

Correa was struck by a pitch on Wednesday night in the Grapefruit League, but he reported feeling fine after the game and the X-rays confirmed Thursday that he avoided a serious injury. This will be an important summer for the No. 1 overall pick from the 2012 MLB Amateur Draft, who is capable of rising quickly through Houston's farm system.

Source: Jose de Jesus Ortiz on Twitter

I guess his start hasn't warranted any hype. That's what happens when you go 8-15 with a double, homer, eight rbi, a walk and no strikeouts. Lol.

I guess his start hasn't warranted any hype. That's what happens when you go 8-15 with a double, homer, eight rbi, a walk and no strikeouts. Lol.

I've been watching closely :) I am drooling all over this kid, 19 years old and doing this in high A, I'm sure he ends up in AA soon enough if he keeps up for the next few weeks.

I've been watching closely :) I am drooling all over this kid, 19 years old and doing this in high A, I'm sure he ends up in AA soon enough if he keeps up for the next few weeks.

As am I. If he keeps this up I can't imagine it takes too long to get to AA, and he could have a Braun or Longoria type impact very quickly in the bigs (won't go trout for obvious reasons). I keep trying to find holes in his game, or something that doesn't project well and... I'm still looking.

Guessing Super-2 2015 is the current ETA projection?

I remember reading a few interviews and seeing some reporters talk about the Astros think he might be ready to break camp with the team next season. If so I would imagine a long term deal buying out arbitration and whatnot would follow soon after. If not, super 2 for sure. I don't know why you wouldn't want that extra year of control. But on the other hand if any team needed someone to be the face of a franchise...

I remember reading a few interviews and seeing some reporters talk about the Astros think he might be ready to break camp with the team next season. If so I would imagine a long term deal buying out arbitration and whatnot would follow soon after. If not, super 2 for sure. I don't know why you wouldn't want that extra year of control. But on the other hand if any team needed someone to be the face of a franchise...

I'm sure they'll take their sweet time with him given how bad their team is, but if he keeps raking even at AA, maybe he gets a cup of coffee this year who knows.. Everyone was all over Baez in my keeper league draft this year, I took Correa 4 rounds later and I really think I ended up with the better player, his whole makeup is off the charts and he should stick at SS which is the best part!

I'm glad I drafted him this year for my keeper league. He's off to a fast start and will only get better. Long term, he may end up playing at the hot corner, but with his high ceiling, he will make a great third basemen

I'm sure they'll take their sweet time with him given how bad their team is, but if he keeps raking even at AA, maybe he gets a cup of coffee this year who knows.. Everyone was all over Baez in my keeper league draft this year, I took Correa 4 rounds later and I really think I ended up with the better player, his whole makeup is off the charts and he should stick at SS which is the best part!

He could come up September, it wouldn't shock me, but I suspect with the talk from the Astros front office that if they honestly think he's heady next season they'll be signing him long term before/during the early part of the season. If Correa's talk of being the franchise face is true (I believe he signed a below slot contract to get to pro ball as quickly as possible) then it's possible he could sign a contract similar to what Springer turned down (probably more, but similar).

And I totally agree. I think Baez will always have more power, and it'll be a pick em type situation. Correa will most likely be the better overall player, especially with his potential avg-obp, control of the strikezone, and bureoning power. Kids almost already as big as Tulo (about 18 or so lbs lighter) and every indication is he can stick at SS. He's a monster in the making.

Correa is having an awesome start to the season. Showing why he was #1 overall.

You guys think he is #1 prospect on most list next year?

It would take a lot to pass Buxton, especially if Buxton has a monster year up a level, so I think he's #2 in most lists unless he goes COMPLETELY bonkers, moves up and makes his MLB debut this season.

Also just want to point out he walked twice last night and still has yet to strikeout. I think he might get to AA by the end of the month if he keeps on playing like this.

I was referring to #1 overall draft pick.

I think speedy was generally wondering if he will be, that's how I took it. At the least he's showing he deserved to go #1.