Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

SportsFanEvan

Carlos Correa - SS HOU

I was referring to #1 overall draft pick.

I think speedy was generally wondering if he will be, that's how I took it. At the least he's showing he deserved to go #1.

Yeah I was, I know Buxton is a great prospect, I just love Correa's makeup and he's a year younger too... What he did last year was way ahead of what Buxton showed as an 18 year old, although I know it doesn't mean much at that stage.

I was referring to #1 overall draft pick.

I think speedy was generally wondering if he will be, that's how I took it. At the least he's showing he deserved to go #1.

Yeah I was, I know Buxton is a great prospect, I just love Correa's makeup and he's a year younger too... What he did last year was way ahead of what Buxton showed as an 18 year old, although I know it doesn't mean much at that stage.

I agree. Part of it is considering defense, and there are concerns Correa will have to move off short (Astros have said that isn't happening) and Buxton is considered an elite defender, and when a guy gets christened "the a next Mike Trout" he gets out at the top of the lists. As long as Buxton retains his rookie eligibility I don't see a lot of prospect guys moving him down. Again though, if Correa does something insane, it could happen.

Man, I jinxed my boy hardcore. No hits in his last 15 or so at bats.

You never know when these guys will get called up anymore. It says he just got back to playing SS since returning from shoulder tightness; what other position was he playing?

I'm trying to figure out an earliest ETA.

You never know when these guys will get called up anymore. It says he just got back to playing SS since returning from shoulder tightness; what other position was he playing?

I'm trying to figure out an earliest ETA.

He was DH'ing for a few games because of the shoulder bothering him when he threw. He's only playing short. I heard Luhnow say he could break camp next year with the team, but that would be dependent on him destroying Hi A ball and playing a chunk of the season in AA (I would assume), but he isn't really killing it right now, so I would say maybe next season, with the most likely scenario being 2016.

Is he still stinking it up against lefties? Any progress there?

Lefty/righty split is the only hole in his game at age 19. BA north of .300, defense is elite, and just hit his third homer in the last week or so. Will battle for #1 overall prospect consideration next April.

4 for 45 vs lefties

He's 19... I own Joc Pederson too and there were doubts about him cause he stunk vs lefties too last year, but this year, he's hitting close to .300 vs them. I've rarely seen a right handed batter not able to hit lefties in the long run, to me, it's not worrisome at all!

Keith Law's number 2 prospect.

2. Carlos Correa | SS | Houston Astros (age 19)

Current level: High Class A (Lancaster)

Preseason ranking: 4

Correa's always been a top offensive prospect, but he's continued to make believers out of scouts who see him at shortstop, and if he doesn't outgrow the position physically there's no reason he can't remain there at least into his mid-to-late 20s.

His performance so far has been excellent given his age, although I'd caution anyone looking at the raw stat lines (.305/.370/.458 through Tuesday) to bear in mind that Lancaster is a great place to hit, as are several other southern California League ballparks.

4 for 45 vs lefties

He's 19... I own Joc Pederson too and there were doubts about him cause he stunk vs lefties too last year, but this year, he's hitting close to .300 vs them. I've rarely seen a right handed batter not able to hit lefties in the long run, to me, it's not worrisome at all!

Agree with you 100% just trying to gauge his eta! I'm guessing all star break 2015 at the earliest.

Any chance he sees double-A this year? Dude is raking.

Yeah I think there's a good chance he's at AA at some point this year.

I'd assume sometime around the All Star Break. His ETA is sometime in the later part of next year or early 2016 by the latest. There's nobody blocking his path to SS.

I'd assume sometime around the All Star Break. His ETA is sometime in the later part of next year or early 2016 by the latest. There's nobody blocking his path to SS.

Yep. Roughly what Luhnow states in this article :

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article/hou/astros-happy-to-build-around-carlos-correa-mark-appel?ymd=20140530&content_id=77472648&vkey=news_hou

If Correa gets promoted to AA (which is pretty much a foregone conclusion) and doesn't have any real red flag struggles, he'll compete for a starting job next spring. I would imagine though it'll most likely be up after 2015 Super 2.

Why there isn't more talk about this guy on these forums baffles me... He looks like he'll be something else hitting the way he is at 19 years old right now.

Why there isn't more talk about this guy on these forums baffles me... He looks like he'll be something else hitting the way he is at 19 years old right now.

If he were a Cubs prospect this thread would be 50 pages long by now...

The reason is that he has zero chance of making a mlb impact this year, and little chance of next year as well. He's already owned in all legit dynasty leagues, so there's not much to discuss for now. I agree he's totally awesome, but it's like talking about Christmas morning 2017.

The reason is that he has zero chance of making a mlb impact this year, and little chance of next year as well. He's already owned in all legit dynasty leagues, so there's not much to discuss for now. I agree he's totally awesome, but it's like talking about Christmas morning 2017.

Luhnow has already stated if he continues on as he has been he will likely be up next season, without ruling out breaking camp with the club. I imagine the only way thay would happen though is if he signed a Singleton thpe deal, but he isnt that far off.

Also, 15 stolen bases this year.

That is definitely why there's so little discussion. But if I may, I think there's a halfway decent chance he gets called up next year. HOU brass has said he'll be given a chance to compete for a starting job next spring training (though I think we can safely assume it is merely lip service). However, if he closes out this year strong at AA and gets off to a hot start in AA or opens in AAA, then there will be a healthy amount of buzz over a late June callup.

Yeah, there's a non-zero chance. But 2016 should please all of his realistic owners.

Yeah, there's a non-zero chance. But 2016 should please all of his realistic owners.

I'm thinking late next year. He should spend about a half a season at Double A this year, progress to Triple A in a year from now or so and a September call up is likely. Houston has nobody at all blocking him. Villar isn't any kind of threat or answer to the SS position so the job is Correa's whenever he is ready. But this guy has the chance to be something really special. I might keep him in my shallow keeper league since I'm rebuilding (csb).

All I've heard about this guy is his hit and power tool but he's been stealing a lot of bases. He might be a 30/15 guy in his prime in what will be a solid Astros lineup.