Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Topgun

Tyson Ross 2013 Outlook

41 posts in this topic

Has had two very impressive starts since he was recalled. Any thoughts on this guy ?

Will he stay in the rotation? Real deal ? Future Star ? Flash in the pan ? Tell me.

I didn't see him pitching so I can't say for sure whether his stuff is legit. I have been keeping an eye on him though and he was pitching pretty well out of the bullpen before he was sent down to Triple A.

With Marquis having Tommy John surgery and Richards expected to miss the remainder of the season, he will stick in the rotation unless he blows up consistently. Right now he is looking like a good NL-only option but I wouldn't bank on him in 12 team mixed leagues.

Ross held the Yankees to two runs on three hits over six innings Saturday, but he still suffered his fifth loss of the season.

Spin: He struck out nine of the 24 batters he faced in this game, but opposing starter Ivan Nova held the Padres' bats in check for seven innings while Ross surrendered a two-run home run to Curtis Granderson. Ross has pitched well in his first three starts in the rotation. All three have come at Petco, but he has a 22:6 K:BB over these 20 innings. The start should help him stay in the rotation, but he will face a more difficult assignment in the Reds on the road for his next start.

Another solid night. Control was a bit off but he made it work.

7ip, 4h, 4bb, 6k, 1er

Drew Silva@drewsilv1h

Tyson Ross, 26, has a 1.33 ERA and 28 strikeouts in 27 innings since moving into the Padres' rotation. Gets the Mets next.

Gonna make the add and drop Kazmir since he's lost his way. Ross has been impressive and that stat line @CIN has sold me.

Good idea, did the same last week. He looked good last night ,didn't like the BB's, but went a strong 7 inings, gave up 1 run, got the win, and QS, and the 6 K's , not bad at all. He's 3 and 1 in his last 4 starts, averaging 7 IP, 1 run, 7 K's, a lot to like.

im going to be adding him for his next start for sure.might just find a place on my team.

I dropped this guy for Salazar and am kind of regretting I did now. Not so much for Salazar but maybe should of dropped another pitcher instead. :mellow:

Thoughts on tomorrow's start against the Mets? I'm not BIG on spot pitching pitchers, but I'm considering throwing Ross and Gray out there tomorrow, hoping to hit it BIG. I'll be honest, normally when I do this it doesn't work out well.

Going with Ross as well. I think he'll be fine at Petco. Wrightless mets don't scare me.

Working another solid start yet again. Would even be in better shape if not for a missed call by first base ump.

Still hitting 95-96 at pitch #104. Looks to be done for the night.

7.0ip, 5h, 1er, 8k, 0bb.

Yea, lot's to like here. He struck out the side in his last inning.

Technically, he didn't strike out the side since someone reached base (well actually, I'm not sure if that invalidates the definition of "struck out the side"). But a very impressive performance. SD offense is pretty bad, though.

Nasty stuff. Super underrated pitcher He's got the Pirates @SD next time out as well. Will be rolling him back out there in Petco

His stuff is legit. Plus slider and plus fastball. May occasionally have trouble with lefties with the lack of a consistent change. Kind of reminds me of Justin Masterson in how tough he would be on righties. His ball doesn't sink as much as Masterson's, but he's the closest comp I can think of.

Technically, he didn't strike out the side since someone reached base (well actually, I'm not sure if that invalidates the definition of "struck out the side"). But a very impressive performance. SD offense is pretty bad, though.

Heh, funny you say that. I'm more on the side of only using it when it's 3 up, 3 down, but I hear the TV guys use it all the time even if someone walks, gets a hit.

Googled it for the hell of it.

There is a disagreement as to the exact definition of striking out the side. Some feel a pitcher should be credited with striking out the side when all three outs in the inning were obtained via the strikeout, regardless of what other hitters the pitcher has faced have done. Others, though, believe a pitcher only has "struck out the side" when he has retired 3 batters in succession without allowing anyone to reach base.

A question about Ross' outing last night. In his final line, he was charged with five runs, four of them earned. The final two came in the top of the seventh. He put the first two runners on and the third batter was out on a sac bunt. He was then removed from the game with one out. Neil Walker hits a ground ball and reaches on a fielders choice for the inning's second out, but the runner at third is thrown out at home, leaving a runner at third that Ross put on base and Walker at first that Thayer put on. McCutchen then triples, scoring both runners. Why is it that both of those runs seem to be charged to Ross even though only one was a guy that he put on base?

A question about Ross' outing last night. In his final line, he was charged with five runs, four of them earned. The final two came in the top of the seventh. He put the first two runners on and the third batter was out on a sac bunt. He was then removed from the game with one out. Neil Walker hits a ground ball and reaches on a fielders choice for the inning's second out, but the runner at third is thrown out at home, leaving a runner at third that Ross put on base and Walker at first that Thayer put on. McCutchen then triples, scoring both runners. Why is it that both of those runs seem to be charged to Ross even though only one was a guy that he put on base?

Because of the fielders choice he assumes Walker as his runner. You can't charge that run to Thayer because if Ross didn't allow the base runners, Walker would have been retired on an easy ground out.

This is his first bad outing in weeks but the K/9 are still there. What do we think about him going forward? Not even roster worthy?