Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

young_styler

Tobias Harris 2013-2014 Season Outlook

One of the best WW adds last season may scare some people off with Glen Davis looming around. If he can get time at the 3, as well as the 4, he should see 30-33 mpg (hopefully). I'd say 5-6th round sounds reasonable. Where will you guys draft him? Does Big Baby scare you away from picking him or do you think he's guaranteed minutes?

Big Baby is a problem, Harkless is a problem

in order compete, due to his defense or more likely maximize his trade value (a la Scola) they will have to start Davis and play him when he's healthy

when he went off at the end of the season he was getting around 37 mpg and he wasn't terribly efficient

maybe not this year but the guy just turned 21! so he's crazy young for a 3rd year guy

Agree. I don't know if they plan on playing him or Harkless more. But then Glen Davis could get injured again. At PF they do have Nicholson (terrible) and Jason Maxiell though. Maxiell is always a guy who ends up stealing minutes and making good players useless, so I am guessing that's what he will do to Davis and Harris. I think it's safe to have him at 25 mpg. Which won't make him too useful unless in deep leagues. Tobias Harris is the better player it seems, but the front office may think differently since they drafted Mo Harkless with a lottery pick.

Good point about Maxiell, I'd expect he sees more center minutes but theres a good chance he takes at least 5 minutes. I don't think he'll have the same free reign he did at the end of last year but if he can put up decent defensive stats he'll be a steal around the 6-8 round

Agree. I don't know if they plan on playing him or Harkless more. But then Glen Davis could get injured again. At PF they do have Nicholson (terrible) and Jason Maxiell though. Maxiell is always a guy who ends up stealing minutes and making good players useless, so I am guessing that's what he will do to Davis and Harris. I think it's safe to have him at 25 mpg. Which won't make him too useful unless in deep leagues. Tobias Harris is the better player it seems, but the front office may think differently since they drafted Mo Harkless with a lottery pick.

Call me crazy, but I think that Harris is a more efficient player that Harkless. Don't understand why he didn't play much for the Bucks, and why he would be on the bench for Orlando. He has all-star potential

Harkless is a much better player than Harris. It isn't really all that close if you watch them. Harris can put up good stats but I don't see him streaking any minutes from harkless at the 3. He will be a backup 3/4 for Davis and harkless. That should give him a good 25-30 minutes a game.

Harkless is a much better player than Harris. It isn't really all that close if you watch them. Harris can put up good stats but I don't see him streaking any minutes from harkless at the 3. He will be a backup 3/4 for Davis and harkless. That should give him a good 25-30 minutes a game.

Harris is still young so there's plenty of time to fix his flaws, but for now he's definitely the classic case of being better in fantasy than real life.

He is a tweener and those guys are rarely more than 6th men. Best case scenario for him is to be a Paul millsap type player. The floor is much lower.

Glen Davis is a terribly inefficient player and there's a chance he won't even be ready for the start of the regular season. Also, he was a player signed by the old regime, so I don't think Hennigan has any reason to push Vaughn to give him heavy minutes. I really don't see him getting in the way of THarris' PT or development.

That is Harris' hope. He has a better chance of stealing time from Baby than Harkless. Harris just isn't a SF in the NBA. He is a small PF. That is his game. He can hit spot up three pointers and get baskets with his quickness in the lane. IF you put him on the wing and make him create he is not very good. He is too quick for bigger PFs and he is too big for when teams put a SF on him. Unfortunately he has difficulty guarding on the other end as well. I think he is a really good young player, just trying to give an honest evaluation. He has great spring and a finishes around the rim well. But I just don't see him as a SF. He is an undersized PF which in the current state of the NBA can turn out pretty well. These guys have different games than Harris, but Millsap, Manimal, and Carl Landry are three players with similar physical makeups that have done very well for themselves in the league using their speed as an advantage over larger PFs.

The key to Harris' playing time is his ability to defend. He can score very efficiently against PFs in this league, but he has to be able to defend them if he wants to play.

Gotta agree with GJDHouse on this one, there's a reason the Magic have been semi-non-committal with him despite how he finished last season. He's definitely a tweener and from a fantasy perspective despite the stats he put up in 40 min/g it only got him a 60th overall ranking during that time period (122 overall) bc of what an ineffecient, high-volume shooter he was (42%FG, 67%FT).

I'd target him in H2H drafts, but no where before the 7th round bc of Davis/Harkless/Nicholson looming (no way Nicholson plays more minutes than Harris, but he's there to eat some of his) as well as Maxiell getting minutes when they need an energy defender. Good younger player but don't over reach based on the end of last season, Orlando was like literally as perfect of a situation he could've been in and he provided late 5th/early 6th value given 17 shots and 40 min/game

Gotta agree with GJDHouse on this one, there's a reason the Magic have been semi-non-committal with him despite how he finished last season. He's definitely a tweener and from a fantasy perspective despite the stats he put up in 40 min/g it only got him a 60th overall ranking during that time period (122 overall) bc of what an ineffecient, high-volume shooter he was (42%FG, 67%FT).

I'd target him in H2H drafts, but no where before the 7th round bc of Davis/Harkless/Nicholson looming (no way Nicholson plays more minutes than Harris, but he's there to eat some of his) as well as Maxiell getting minutes when they need an energy defender. Good younger player but don't over reach based on the end of last season, Orlando was like literally as perfect of a situation he could've been in and he provided late 5th/early 6th value given 17 shots and 40 min/game

Well, his 9-cat rank over the last 2 months was 46 and better mostly due to his %'s going south over the last month. I wasn't trying to argue that Harris will be a fantasy stud, just that I do not anticipate Big Baby being the player that potentially holds him back. I agree with GJDHouse that his def against PF will determine his time on the court for ORL at the PF position.

Is this serious?

He looks like a 18ppg 8rpg with 1-1-1 potential and good FG and FT %. What's not to like?

There's gotta be a sarcasm tag that he forgot to put in. I'd expect more from a guy with 1,950 posts! He did say potential though. So saying that's his ceiling does make sense. That's what he averaged over the last month or two. I'd be hesitant to think he will keep it up though. He's unlikely to get the free reign he did at the end when the team was in tank mode. I think they will be taking again this year, but probably in the name of "player development" they will be spreading out the PT. It's a subtle way to screw with everyone's minutes and mindsets and never let them get into a groove, all in the name of getting a better shot at Andrew Wiggins.

I also want to eventually see Maxiell and Big Baby on the court at the same time. That's fantasy gold (for the other team) right there.

Is this serious?

He looks like a 18ppg 8rpg with 1-1-1 potential and good FG and FT %. What's not to like?

Yeah. Guy has some skills.

Is this serious?

Yeah. Guy has some skills.

Lol it's easy to have 1,958 posts when you don't ever post more than 1 sentence ;) That would literally be his absolute ceiling if he was like on this year's 76'ers or something. That's what he averaged at the end of last season when he played 41 min/g, and he still ranked like 60th overall bc of his %'s. There's no way he plays that much this year.

Yes, I want my post counts to be augmented by post length net of quoted text. I'm not high on this guy when I'm drafting, but definitely a guy to watch on the waiver though in case the inevitable late season taking happens again.

I think there are plenty of reasons to draft Harris for a ten league team roster. Point and rebounds are always nice filler categories. If he turns out to only get 24 mpg, then you can cut him.

what is a tweener.

Someone who is between the traditional positions (1-5) of a basketball team.

Example:

Derrick Williams: Can play the 3 or 4, but excels in neither.

Not an example:

Lebron James: Can play the 1,2,3,4, or 5, and excels at all. (ok, fine not 5, but let's pretend).,

oh ok tim tebow is a tweener in the nfl.

No. To be a tweener you have to be at least decent at a position, or capable of being slotted in a position.

Right now, a more accurate term is what parents use when disciplining young children: a "no-no" (not a no-hitter).

Harris was a monster for me last year, but this thread is making me look at Harkless as a better and probably cheaper pick in my keeper league.

Harris was a monster for me last year, but this thread is making me look at Harkless as a better and probably cheaper pick in my keeper league.

As someone who picked Harkless up off the waiver wire last year, I don't understand the hype around him this year.