Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Stullyb

PPR Doug Martin vs Jamaal Charles

...by the way, Shady has never had 285 carries in 3 season as a starter either (was on pace to done it once, but missed a game).

No matter how you slice it, Charles is not gonna get 280+ carries, Goal Line Work AND 60+ receptions, he's not built to take that kind of pounding. Even if he's on pace to do it, he's gonna miss a game or two as well, just like Westbrook and McCoy did every year because of being overworked -- something has to give (some rushes in the Red Zone, some catches or some games). Will be good when he's on the field, but if one of those DNPs is in the Fantasy Playoffs, more power to you trying to win without a Top 4 pick in the draft.

...by the way, Shady has never had 285 carries in 3 season as a starter either (was on pace to done it once, but missed a game).

No matter how you slice it, Charles is not gonna get 280+ carries, Goal Line Work AND 60+ receptions, he's not built to take that kind of pounding. Even if he's on pace to do it, he's gonna miss a game or two as well, just like Westbrook and McCoy did every year because of being overworked -- something has to give (some rushes in the Red Zone, some catches or some games). Will be good when he's on the field, but if one of those DNPs is in the Fantasy Playoffs, more power to you trying to win without a Top 4 pick in the draft.

Not sure how you can just assume this, Charles played the entire season last year as a workhorse back. Its totally feasible he holds up again this year with some more touches.

He does have a different build though compared to other RBs, so I understand come concern, but his past seasons give me no reason to believe he can't handle it. Especially with the injury concerns of other top backs (although Martin appears not to have any thus far)

Workhorse backs get Goal Line carries, he did not last year, never has and never will. Peyton Hillis & Shaun Draughn split those duties -- so not sure where you are coming up with that label for him. Just because the Chiefs gave up on the season before it started and decided to make Charles look like a star, doesn't mean he's a "workhorse".

I dont think there is a right or wrong answer here. Its all opinion. Both are studs. With that being said, I think Martin is safe production on a weekly basis. I think Charles has just a touch higher ceiling but also has some unknowns with a new coach and qb in place.

If it were my pick, I would be looking at who else I like in the draft and who I think I can get and pick based on that. For example, if I can get a safe RB2 like sjax or forte then I might jump on Charles.

help - http://forums.rotoworld.com/index.php?showtopic=358380

I consider workhorse backs the ones who get pretty much all of the touches in the offense (out of the RBs). Charles was 7th in the league in rushing attempts, next closest on the team wasn't even top 50. He also got most of the receptions. And he didn't get hurt. That's my point. He's shown he is durable after getting essentially all of the carries for an entire year.

I consider workhorse backs the ones who get pretty much all of the touches in the offense (out of the RBs). Charles was 7th in the league in rushing attempts, next closest on the team wasn't even top 50. He also got most of the receptions. And he didn't get hurt. That's my point. He's shown he is durable after getting essentially all of the carries for an entire year.

I understand what you are saying, but that stat is ridiculous -- there's 32 teams in the NFL, that means AT LEAST 14 teams wouldn't have a 2nd guy in the top 50 automatically -- that doesn't mean those 14 teams have what I consider "workhorse" backs, which are guys who play 1st through 3rd down and Goal Line. Charles gets the first half of that, but was constantly removed from Goal Line work in favor of Hillis and Draughn, who are both terrible players -- that's gotta mean something.

Agreed. That stat was just to show that Charles got significantly more carries and receptions than any other backs on the team, and was still able to stay healthy. That's all I'm trying to say. I'm going to stop using the term "workhorse" because we have different opinions on what it means.

And I also agree that Charles doesn't get a lot of goal line carries, but his ability to score from anywhere on the field at any time and the amount of receiving TDs Reid RBs get outweighs it for me. I also don't think its ridiculous to think Charles will see more goal line work this year with hillis gone. Thats just speculation though and it wouldn't surprise me either way.

That first sentence of the second paragraph is probably where we disagree, and probably why you like Martin more. Correct me if I'm wrong.

No, your opinion are warranted, but the "ability to score from anywhere on the field" doesn't mean he's going to do it 10+ times (he had 4 rushing TD's last year and 3 of them were over 70-yards, that's not a very good weekly rate), which is what you need to do in order to be a top tier stud RB in fantasy. Westbrook was #2 behind LT in his absolute bezerker year, but even in his other "BIG" year, he was still only the 6th highest scoring back in PPR formats.

Peyton Hillis is gone, but Draughn is still around and the Chiefs used a 3rd round pick on a 5'10, 227 lb Knile Davis out of the toughest division in College Football (SEC West), who's body is similarly proportioned to a MJD-type (Davis is taller, but weighs more too); that bowling ball body size is perfect around the goal line, and I think he's gonna be the major ball carrier inside the 10 yard line.

I just don't think people realize how much wear and tear 350 touches is on a guy who is 5'11 and sub-200 lbs; there's a reason Charles is blazing fast and it's not because he's "bulky" -- Westbrook & McCoy missed those games here and there because Reid ran them into the ground (and they were both heavier than Charles at the same height, Westbrook 1" shorter). KC has a great shot to make the playoffs this year with SD and OAK in their division and an overall weak AFC class, killing their best player before the Post Season probably won't endear Andy Reid to the KC-faithful.

I really like Jamaal, hope he has a big year, I just think the hype on him is way over shooting his likely seasonal output and using a Top 4 pick on him is going to be a negative return.

Wanted to bump this topic and see if anyone's opionions changed. I'm debating taking Charles with the #2 pick in my 10 team Yahoo PPR