Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

BIG SKI

Xander Bogaerts SS BOS

What are your guys thoughts on his season so far ? Just snagged him in a trade and hoping he can get back to what he was last year.

I am a huge fan of this guy, obviously hes a long way away from the majors and lots can happen between now and then but I think he has top teir talent. Before this year I read one scout say "I would be disapointed if turned out to be Nelson Cruz", thats the kinda raw power he has. As far as this year goes hes been pretty good keeping in mind his age and the league he plays in. From what I understand the Carolina league is very pitcher friendly so you gotta take the raw numbers with a grain of salt. Nearly and 800 OPS at 19 years old in high A in a pitching league, I think hes right on track, I would think he will be a top 25 prospect on most lists next year.

The X Man has been red hot 10-21 8 R 2B 3 HR 7 RBI 3 BB 4 K

Having some fielding problems though

Seems like he's hitting a homer, and making an error everyday.

3-3 2R 2B HR RBI BB 2day.

Up to ,483 AVG 5/6 BB/K 4 HR in his last 10.

Oh yeah and error # 14 to go along with it.

Seems like he's hitting a homer, and making an error everyday.

3-3 2R 2B HR RBI BB 2day.

Up to ,483 AVG 5/6 BB/K 4 HR in his last 10.

Oh yeah and error # 14 to go along with it.

I wonder if the position move will happen sooner rather then later. 3B or OF? does Middlebrooks affect this decision?

Love this kid the Sox better not ever trade him. I think he ends up in the OF because he is not a SS and Middlebrooks cannot play any other position but 3B.

Nice upside and the way professional sports is such a copycat business, who knows maybe he will be up sooner than most of us thought. I almost drafted him in our minor league draft this year, I had two picks but opted for guys who maybe could of helped me this year, but I picked him up in a deal once I decided the rebuilding process needed to begin.

What's the chance of this guy playing in the majors this year?

Thanks

Thanks

doubtful to make an impact.. he may be up in september, but the sox are in no need of rushing him up. i think he plays most of the year in Portland, and may get a cup of coffee late. look for more of an impact next year. but i do not know what position he'll be playing

Thanks

doubtful to make an impact.. he may be up in september, but the sox are in no need of rushing him up. i think he plays most of the year in Portland, and may get a cup of coffee late. look for more of an impact next year. but i do not know what position he'll be playing

Thanks, much appreciated!

Thanks

They signed Drew earlier in the offseason. I'd expect him to get the job this year before Bogaerts gets a shot to lock down the job next year. It will likely take a Drew injury in order for him to get to the majors before September this year.

lets say in 5 years...which of Baez or Bogaerts will be the better overall player? its not so important where they end up...SS or 3B. the question is who has more upside overall?

I doubt either one of them stays at SS, but Bogaerts made enough improvements last year to make that a possibility. Baez will likely be moved to 3B.

Both are outstanding prospects, but Bogaerts is a step above due to his power.

I'll actually go with Baez, who I think can stick at SS. I've seen him in person a few times, and he is impressive. Baez has a chance to be a 5-cat stud. Can't say the same for Bogaerts.

In terms of pure upside, I say easily Baez.

Boegarts...and it's not close.

Gonna play 3B for the Netherlands in WBC , can't wait to see how he does

Anyone paying attention to this guy? How's he faring in AA?

He is holding his own, not liking his strikeout and groundball rates, but I wouldn't worry about them if you own this guy.

.293/.360/.434 slash line

2 Home Runs

11 RBIs

3 Steals

11/29 BB/K

9.9% Walk Rate

26.1% Strikeout Rate

59% GB Rate

.141 ISO (which would be far below any other level he has been at)

He's doing well and once he gets a hot streak going, he should be back to posting numbers that have matched his previous stops in the minors.

The X factor you have to use in judging #'s - age relative to level. 20 year-olds in AA? If you're doing even at league-average level, that's a great predictor of success - before you look at the skill set and tools.

Now, what the K/BB rate does suggest - he needs more AA/AAA time before making it up to the Big Show. In reality, though, from a long-term dynasty perspective, this is a top 5 overall talent, game-changing kind of talent at SS, and an elite talent even if he shifts to 3B/OF. Everything so far says he likely gets to stay at SS, and so long as Middlebrooks is their 3B of the future, BOS will see he can't play SS first, then shift him to RF. Either way, anywhere he goes, the bat should play to elite-level talent. Just don't expect anything more than a cup of coffee for 2013 at the MLB level, barring a sudden surge in skills (I mean, that's why Stephen Drew is signed for only 1 year, BOS saw this coming).

With Middlebrooks struggling (and now hurt) Any chance they would think about bringing him up? I have read that he is more likely to be at 3B long term anyway.

With Middlebrooks struggling (and now hurt) Any chance they would think about bringing him up? I have read that he is more likely to be at 3B long term anyway.

Don't see it. He's still only 20 years old.

Would be one of the more shocking callups I can remember, and probably only be temporary like Profar.

Don't see it. He's still only 20 years old.

Would be one of the more shocking callups I can remember, and probably only be temporary like Profar.

I wouldn't be surprised to see him up later in the season, but yeah I don't think so this early.