Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

BIG SKI

Xander Bogaerts SS BOS

Power numbers are a little down compared to previous levels, but his walk rate is up and his OBP is great. a few more steals than expected this year as well. overall, he's doing very well for a 20 year old in AA.

Just got promoted to AAA...Does he make the roster next year out of spring training???

Just got promoted to AAA...Does he make the roster next year out of spring training???

I think, though doubtful, that if Iglesias keeps hitting like he has in his limited AB's that he's had this year, then he'd get the first shot at taking Drew's spot next year. If Iglesias drops to his usual stat line of mediocre hitting stats with great fielding, then it would probably be a spring training competition between Iglesias and Bogaerts for the SS job.

A strong chance. Elite guys usually don't stay very long in AAA. Bogaerts appears to have heated up after April (literally, he claimed it was too cold initially) and doesn't have a ton blocking him. Boston has to know they have a good one. He's young a therefore somewhat raw, but it's a pretty nice looking package. They also have an fall back if they want him to play 3B since Middlebrooks is not very good.

If middlebrooks continues to be awful, he may be in Boston soon.

I personally think Iglesias will see more playing time.

Bogaerts has needed to adjust with every jump in competition, mostly because of his age is young relative to competition. I don't think we'll see him any sooner than just before Sept. 1 (to get him playoff roster eligibility). Middlebrooks' struggles are not surprising, he's a power-bat with contact issues, I suspect BOS still sees a Middlebrooks/Bogaerts combo at 3B/SS long-term, unless Iglesias shows his bat is for real (and while he's been decent so far this year, everything up until now says this is a mirage).

If Iglesias returns to being, well, Jose Iglesias pre-2013, and Drew gets hurt (huge risk) or struggles, then I think a pre-Sept. 1 callup to get ready for the stretch run and playoffs is possible. But, since Bogaerts has needed an adjustment phase for both High-A last year and Double-A this year, I think the Sox are very mindful the jump to the MLB at this stage is likely to produce a similar adjustment (read: Struggles for a good 4-6 weeks) phase - except in the MLB, once a rookie is down, they eat them up. Given they've not moved him off SS to 3B even as a sniff, they look committed to SS.

I'd love to see him up this year, but honestly, besides the late August/early Sept. callup, don't see it. And if Middlebrooks or Iglesias perform decently with Drew playing this year, and Bogaerts doesn't get the call, I'd expect we see a Jackie Bradley treatment next season (consider to put him in starting lineup, but gain the extra year of service time by sending him down for at least 3 weeks, but then call-up as needed - as a contender, BOS would never do the Super-2 delay if an elite prospect is ready, but waiting 3+ weeks or so, that's entirely do-able, if there is no 2013 service time accumulated).

if iglesias reverts back to his normal hitting performance, ie low .200 ba, then iglesias works better as a defensive replacement/ utility infielder.

I personally think Iglesias will see more playing time.

By spring training this year this guy was projected as the Sox's future left fielder or possibly SS if they could trade Iglesias which they seemed to want to do having given up on him ever hitting major league pitching at all. But they have another guy in the minors they like better at SS. So to the OF Xander was to go. Napoli was to have a three year contract so Middlebrooks was seen as the 3B for at least a few years to come before he inevitably moved over to 1B. Meanwhile Stephen Drew was brought in to be yet another of the Sox SS temps along the lines of Spinal Tap drummers.

Then Napoli's medical revelation lead to a one year contract, Middlebrooks has been in a season long slum whilst Nava has raked, Iglesias has discovered the baseball bat and Mike Carp has been seemingly ressurected while Stephen Drew sucks and needs to go the way of those Spinal Tap drummers asap. Isn't that baseball all over. No one seems to know now WHERE Xander will play, just that he is on his way.

Middlebrooks is going to need to hit. A sub .200 average and poor defense is not going to cut it at 3B in Boston especially if they continue to be in contention. What's been eye opening is Iglesias' defense along with his hitting while not playing his natural position. That said Bogaerts coming up will depend on a variety of factors notably health. If Napoli gets hurt it looks like Carp is the !B. Nava seems to have locked up a starting role in LF. If for some reason Victorino gets hurt again Nava will slide to right which in turn could open up a spot for Bogaerts in LF. He could also platoon with Iglesias at 3B. If Drew was to be traded then the pressure would be on Middlebrooks to produce. If he doesn't Bogaerts could then slide to Third while Iglesias goes back to short.

Looks like Will Middlebrooks is to be sent down to minors. With that, the door of opportunity slowly creeks open for Mr. Bogaerts

damn, looks like this guy could get a call up at some point this year.

As much as we're hoping for Bogaerts to fill in for Middlebrooks right now, what this DOES do is opens the door for Iglesias more for the short term. Iglesias has been playing fantastic baseball, and this move gives the Sox the opportunity to play him every day, and he's just been delivering time and again. Stephen Drew, while an offensive disappointment, has played very well at SS as well. I don't see the Sox aggressively pushing Bogaerts this year. However, this certainly opens the door for him NEXT year, shifting Iglesias to SS.

As much as we're hoping for Bogaerts to fill in for Middlebrooks right now, what this DOES do is opens the door for Iglesias more for the short term. Iglesias has been playing fantastic baseball, and this move gives the Sox the opportunity to play him every day, and he's just been delivering time and again. Stephen Drew, while an offensive disappointment, has played very well at SS as well. I don't see the Sox aggressively pushing Bogaerts this year. However, this certainly opens the door for him NEXT year, shifting Iglesias to SS.

Unless there is an injury, or Iglesies regresses to his minor league numbers I don't think we see Xander until sept. It is possible Iglesias does hit like he was expected to, and he is only hitting .200 in triple A. this year.

Unless there is an injury, or Iglesies regresses to his minor league numbers I don't think we see Xander until sept. It is possible Iglesias does hit like he was expected to, and he is only hitting .200 in triple A. this year.

Iglesias seems like the guy who never hits in the minors but the switch gets turned on when the spotlight hits him in the majors. He isn't a weak slap and go .200 hitter so far in Boston. Instead he has been hitting the ball sharply to all fields and adjusting to how pitchers throw to him quite well on the fly. They say Nomar was the same way. Was a poor hitter in the minors but as soon as he got the call up he started hitting like crazy. So while Iglesias may "regress" some I don't see him going back to the .220 hitter everyone thought he'd be a few months ago.

Which is to say the Sox will either trade him as part of a package for another SP or a closer or hang on to him for the long run because this kid isn't returning to the minors ever again. Hopefully they hold on to him because everyone from mgt to the most casual fan in NE are sick of the endless revolving door at SS post Nomar.

So if he stays he will move to SS when a viable 3B option occurs because Drew has always sucked offensively throughout his career. He was here on a one year contract until either Iglesias or Xander was ready. Iglesias is ready now. Which means that Middlebrooks is now in a competition for his 3B job with Xander down at Pawtucket right now.

Xander's back door way in is through the OF with injuries which Victorino seems to be providing left and right thanks to his prediliction for running into walls at a higher rate than Brett Lawrie. But Jackie Bradley (and others) are in the mix there and Bradley is much prefered for his defense in the large RF at Fenway so 3B seems the most likely key for Xander's call-up. And the Sox have the time right now not to rush that as long as Iglesias keeps giving them the production he has and Drew keeps limping by just enough at SS. So they can afford to wait out the Middlebrooks Reclaimation Project vs the Xander Fast Track Progression for now.

I think Jose Iglesias is playing way over his head and doesn't have the power bat to stay at 3rd base. I've read he doesn't have great speed either. It doesn't make sense to put a guy at 3rd base that is going to hit less than 15 (maybe less than 10) homers per year. The only two positions that will allow for that lack of power are SS and 2nd. Otherwise there is not enough power in the lineup. Pretty soon the 490 BABIP fairy tale is going to come to an end.

I think in the short-term Boston puts Bogaerts at 3rd and depending on Middlebrooks maybe back to SS in 2014. It doesn't make sense to keep Bogaerts bat in the minors for too much longer when he is a way better bat than Drew, Iglesias and Middlebrooks (or his short-term replacement). Once Bogaerts is up he's up for good so Boston wants some added flexibility of being able to play Bogaerts at 3rd and SS as well as making the transition even easier for him to MLB by having Bogaerts adjust to one more level before hitting the bigs.

Bogaerts upside is too much to keep stashed away until September given the fact there isn't 3rd base power in the lineup currently.

Call up with Drew injury of he goes on DL?

Highly doubtful. Just getting his feet wet at AAA, and only hitting like .214 so far albeit with 4HR's. More likely scenario in case Drew is DL bound is that the Sox call up WMB or Brock Holt.

.....and Drew is hurt at the same time Middlebrooks is down

X time

Drew's only going to be out a couple of days....so not yet. Even if his injury required a DL stint, I don't think we'd be seeing Bogaerts yet.

His minor league stats arent that good

You're just talking about his AAA numbers right? Because he's crushed at every level since rookie ball.

Middlebrooks isn't out the door remember. Xander isn't next up if Middlebrooks gets his act even semi together. They would not rush Xander up.

Also promoted utility guy Brandon Synder, the fill-in at 3B, had a really good game today knocking in half the Sox runs and making a stellar play at 3B so there isn't a paniced rush to do something, anything short term in the next few days.

Sox have made it clear that Xander is not a trade chip for them. Which means they most likely will live up to that and not trade him. But if they make a trade or two then there might be a quicker path for him to the majors IF he shows he can hit at AAA first. Also if would be hard to trade his main block, Middlebrooks, to anyone right now given his poor play. Will needs a complete mechanical overhaul before he is tradeable if that is the way the Sox are going.

The other removal of the Middlebrooks block to 3B is MB moving to 1B next year with Napoli possibly gone (guy is already running out of steam after a fast start). But Mike Carp is playing his way into contention for that position too.