Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

BIG SKI

Xander Bogaerts SS BOS

Named the Most Outstanding Player in the Futures Game and his thread doesn't even get a bump?

I'm SO excited for this guy to get the call, whenever that may be. He's going to be a stud at SS, 3B, or wherever he plays on the field.

http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/9488053/boston-red-sox-prospect-xander-bogaerts-ready-help-club-2013-mlb

"Over the past year, Bogaerts' plate discipline and defensive consistency have been major areas of improvement. Last year Bogaerts struck out 106 times and drew 44 walks in 532 minor league plate appearances. This year he has 72 strikeouts and 50 walks in 378 plate appearances. He's able to make adjustments from game to game, at-bat to at-bat and pitch to pitch, impressive feats for a 20-year-old who has moved through the system so aggressively."

Hopefully he gets the call soon... could be an upgrade for teams with weak SS

Got this from Backdoor Slider over in the waiver thread:

Xander Bogaerts, one of the top prospects in all of baseball, could be getting close.

Improved glove, improved K/BB, doing well at AAA.

Link from MySoxrRed:

http://m.espn.go.com...053&src=desktop

Even if you're in a limited keeper league, he should be owned. And if you have an open spot in your redraft, I'd consider adding him.

Relevant quote:

Boston general manager Ben Cherington recently acknowledged that Bogaerts could be at Fenway Park before the end of the season, and assistant GM Mike Hazen reiterated those sentiments in an interview with ESPN.com.

"Like Ben said, you can't be in Triple-A and not be knocking on the door," Hazen said. "We think this guy can play major league shortstop. That's No. 1. But if his bat and ability put him on the major league team, we have to figure out a place to play him. And we will."

Who does he compare to?

Id say he compares pretty favorably to Hanley when he was a prospect in the Sox system. Hanley with more pop.. less speed Id say.

His numbers remind me of Tulo when he was in the minors. Obviously Tulo is the much better defensive SS.

I hope the Red Sox wait just a little longer on this kid. The team is playing well right now. Some added punch would be nice considering what Drew has offered offensively, but Drew has played good defense so far, which leaves him rated as an above average player. I have no problem getting Xander up as a September call up, but I wouldnt want them to rush anything right now. After seeing Machado hit .266 in AA (and no triple AAA experience) before his call-up, Harper his .243 in AAA before his call up, there is some presidence that these young studs can just grow at the major league level. Personally, I would like Bogaerts to continue refining his defensive game because he is much more valuable if he can stick at short stop, but it is obvious that the time is near and I anxiously await his arrival no matter how soon it is.

like Puig with Dodgers, Meyers with Rays. maybe he could be that little spark plug that puts them over the edge. but sox are in 1st place so why rock the boat.

Another HR last nite. OPS at AAA is at .825

Appears ready for a call up but what would the RSox do with Drew, Iglesais? Possibly play Xander at 3B and platoon Drew, Iglesais at SS.

Another HR last nite. OPS at AAA is at .825

Appears ready for a call up but what would the RSox do with Drew, Iglesais? Possibly play Xander at 3B and platoon Drew, Iglesais at SS.

There is a 25 percent chance Drew got injured while you were typing that, so they wouldn't have to platoon him for long.

I truly believe this guy can be the next Tulo at SS fantasy-wise (hopefully minus the injury risk). He almost immediately becomes a top 5 SS when he gets called up.

http://throughthefencebaseball.com/fantasy-daily-gerrit-cole/35678

Who’s trending? – It’s time to look at Xander Bogaerts. The hype train is picking up major steam, and theManny Machado comps are undeniable. With the Red Sox in contention and in desperate need at 3B, Bogaerts making his big-league debut seems eminent. If you have room to stash Bogaerts, I suggest you make the move sooner rather than later. This kid has major upside and could be the difference maker coming down the stretch for a contending team.

I'm really contemplating making the move right now... but I still think he is a few weeks away.

How do so many people have a free spot to stash a guy for potentially weeks (and even then, he may never come up)? lol

I'm waiting to hear something more definitive.

I seriously considered dropping him in last night's waiver run but considering i'm in a league with mostly red sox fans it would be foolish. but i agree with the last couple commenters, he could be up by mid-august. i just feel it's hard to tell which school of thought the sox are gonna side with. like i'm pretty sure they mis-handled lars anderson as he had loads of potential. it was almost like they kept him in the minors too long and then called him up and he wasn't ready. but that can also be attributed to a being a product of the environment as the sox were deep at 1B/DH in his early yrs. maybe not the best example but i just don't have confidence in the sox front office to make the right decision here

How do so many people have a free spot to stash a guy for potentially weeks (and even then, he may never come up)? lol

And ur so right. Like I just said with my previous post, I don't really want to hold him - but given it's such a deep league i think (hope) the cost of holding him vs future performance is in his favor

After his ridiculously hot start, Iglesias has cooled down and is mired in a 4 for 33 slump. If he continues to struggle offensively and Boston falls out of 1st place (currently 1/2 game up on TB), I think the Sox will call up Xander to play 3rd base and have Drew/Iglesias platoon at short. I would be surprised if Bogaerts isn't called up sometime in the next two weeks if those 2 things happen.

I'm surprised he's even available at all for people to freely add him.....

I have a legitamate shot at 1 big prospect this year. Passed on Cole....passing on Yelich....this guy better come up.

Iglesias has been hitting at his actual talent level in July, and if he keeps that up for another few weeks I think we'll see Bogaerts.

I have a hard time seeing the sox continuing a playoff run with two offensive black holes on that side of the infield. Bog has shown ridiculous plate discipline for a 20 yr old in AAA. The power is there already . When he gets the call(likely soon) he should have a nice impact.