Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

BIG SKI

Xander Bogaerts SS BOS

How do so many people have a free spot to stash a guy for potentially weeks (and even then, he may never come up)? lol

I'm waiting to hear something more definitive.

I missed out on him because he was drafted in all my leagues but one. Picked him up in that league this week. Just have to suck it up and play with a short bench in the meantime since I don't play in any leagues where there is the luxury of waiting until there is something definite.

And with the almost daily hype going on in New England about him now. Well einstein2u is right. You don't pick him up in all but the laidback, casual leagues and you will snooze/lose at this point.

I drafted Puig in a few leagues this season which is the only way I got him. But hoped to pick up Yelich in one later on and missed out on him as a result. So no way was I going to wake up every morning and hold my breath looking at the one league Bogaerts was still available in and "hope" someone else hadn't beaten me to the punch. If he isn't up until September, so be it. I don't care. I've just felt great after I got him and I don't care how short my bench is until he shows up.

Do you guys think he'll play 3B or SS once he gets the call up?

If it's because Drew gets hurt, probably SS. If it's because Iglesias keepings sucking, probably 3B. Maybe we'll be lucky and he'll get eligibility at both places for next season.

IS a Bogaerts call up a matter of when, and not if?

Seems to me it's a matter oh when he is called up...Red Sox could use him at the moment.

IMO, the Red Sox will wait at least a couple of weeks to call up XB. This can be attributed to three main reasons:

1. The Sox WANT Iglesias to succeed at the big league level. He proved to be a capable #9 hitter with his production up until a few weeks ago. The Sox certainly hope Iglesias's true talent level is squarely between the two versions of Jose we have seen this year. In addition, Iglesias is a valuable trade chip who would net a greater return if he proves he can hit consistently. Lastly, Iglesias expressed dissatisfaction when he was sent down to AAA earlier this year. Relegating him to backup duty surely cannot help improve his attitude (and as a result, in-game performance).

2. Will Middlebrooks. Don't forget about him. He's another valuable guy with lots of team controlled years. Not to mention he has 500 plate appearances in the big leagues. His performance at AAA (just like in the big leagues) has been up-and-down, but there's no doubt in my mind he'll be the first one back if Iglesias/Drew sustains an injury.

3. This quote from an Alex Speier article found here:

"
According to team officials, there are no imminent plans to call up Bogaerts. And in a perfect world, the Sox are able to give Bogaerts more time in Pawtucket. They’ll allow opponents to test his weaknesses and see if they can force him to adjust."

This is what I like from that article. If he can do what Machado did, then he will be worth holding on to. I've heard he projects to hit better than Machado.

"He (Bogaerts) has more Triple-A experience than did Manny Machado when the Orioles promoted him straight from Double-A shortly after his 20th birthday last year.

Machado was hitting .266/.352/.438 with 11 homers and 26 doubles in 109 games for Bowie prior to his callup in early August. He ended up hitting .262/.294/.445 with seven homers and 26 RBI over 51 games in the big leagues.

Bogaerts, roughly nine months younger than Machado, has performed at a higher level in a higher level. And right now, if a need opened up on the left side of the Red Sox infield (whether due to injury or offensive struggles from Jose Iglesias or Stephen Drew), Bogaerts is making a compelling case that, with his offensive approach, he’s more likely to be a consistent offensive contributor than Will Middlebrooks"

Middlebrooks is batting .269/.326/.485 with eight home runs and 29 RBI since his demotion and has been involved in recent trade talks regarding Jake Peavy. With Jose Iglesias struggling, he could be an option to take over at third base. The Red Sox are expected to keep Xander Bogaerts at the Triple-A level for now.

Latest blurb on rotoworld

Disappointing

I wouldn't read too much into these reports stating that the Red Sox don't have any plans to call him up soon. Things change very quickly when you're in the middle of a playoff race, and if Boston trades for a starter like they're expected to now that they lost out on Miguel A. Gonzalez, Middlebrooks will be the centerpiece of that deal. If that happens, a struggling Iglesias will be the only thing standing in Bogaerts way. I still think we see Xander in the show by the middle of August.

If it's because Drew gets hurt, probably SS. If it's because Iglesias keepings sucking, probably 3B. Maybe we'll be lucky and he'll get eligibility at both places for next season.

Iglesias is an elite-fielding SS just filling in at 3B because Middlebrooks crashed and burned. Iglesias/Drew would man SS. Bogaerts would play either 3B or (maybe not until next year) play in LF.

He's projected by the Sox as being able to play 3B, SS, 1B (last on the list) or either corner OF position in the majors. He'd only play SS if Iggy gets traded and then just in the short term. There is another SS prospect in the minors the Sox like best at that position long term if they don't stick with Iglesias at SS.

Iglesias is an elite-fielding SS just filling in at 3B because Middlebrooks crashed and burned. Iglesias/Drew would man SS. Bogaerts would play either 3B or (maybe not until next year) play in LF.

He's projected by the Sox as being able to play 3B, SS, 1B (last on the list) or either corner OF position in the majors. He'd only play SS if Iggy gets traded and then just in the short term. There is another SS prospect in the minors the Sox like best at that position long term if they don't stick with Iglesias at SS.

For this season leading into a playoff run, they're not going to transition Bogaerts to a position he has 4 career games at. They'll let Iglesias stay there so both are comfortable. In the offseason if they decide to go with the two of them then they'll make the transition. Though I doubt Iglesias is ever more than a utility player long term and Cecchini is their third baseman before long, with Bogaerts at SS.

Starting at 3B tonight in AAA. I made the move to add him.

Bogaerts will start at third base for the PawSox on Monday night, Scott Lauber of the Boston Herald reports.

Spin: With Jose Iglesias slumping at the plate, the Red Sox are at least giving Bogaerts more time at the hot corner at Triple-A, while Monday will mark his fifth appearance at third base in the International League over his first 41 games at the level.

I think it's time to start stashing him if you haven't already. Coming real soon

I am drooling at the thought of him in that Red Socks lineup.......... Ohhhh Myyyy Goddddd

just added him and he's currently stashed on the NA spot on my roster...hopefully it is soon so we can see what he can do! nice that he MAY gain 3B eligibility on top of his SS in Yahoo! if that's their plan with him

Iglesias is also out of the Red Sox lineup tonight...... Hmm..

Ooohhhhh boy. I'm excited. I grabbed Machado last year when he came up, and then traded him before Keeper lock date this year.... Hope Bogaerts can make me go 6 to midnight like Machado did last year.

I only know a little bit about him....but, is he really considered to be on a similar level to Machado? If so, awesome.

I only know a little bit about him....but, is he really considered to be on a similar level to Machado? If so, awesome.

Should hit for more power than Machado is currently (Machado's AA ISO was .172, XB's AAA ISO so far is .202). Look for him to have an 8-10 game adjustment period when he is called up, as he seems to take that many games worth of at-bats to get acclimated to a new level.

Should hit for more power than Machado is currently (Machado's AA ISO was .172, XB's AAA ISO so far is .202). Look for him to have an 8-10 game adjustment period when he is called up, as he seems to take that many games worth of at-bats to get acclimated to a new level.

That's why I hope call him up soon...give him time to get adjusted for playoff run.