Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Guest ciderjack6

What should happen if a valuable player is dropped by accident?

92 members have voted

1. 1. What should happen is a valuable player is dropped by accident?

• Commish should use his tools available to give the player back.
    • Tough luck. Player is fair game.
    • All managers should let the guy pass through waivers so original manager can get him back.

Guest ciderjack6

Hypothetical situation.

You computer is acting weird. You are trying to drop a worthless player but instead you end up dropping a valuable player.

You IMMEDIATELY post on your league's message board and contact the commish to notify him of the error and ask him to use his powers to give you the player back.

This is a pay league.

What should happen?

I actually had this happen to me once, and I still swear it wasn't my fault and was a site error. Commish reversed the move after I quickly let him know that it wasn't my intentions to drop the said player.

I voted the commish should fix it. This happened to us in baseball this year. A guy accidently cut a player and upon doing it made an immediate post. The post was made within 1 minute of the transaction so we all knew it was cool and he messed up.

But then another owner cut a player and 2 days later after 3 HR's claimed it was a mistake. I think it is all depending on situation. If the owner makes it known it was a F up right away I am all for him being placed back. If people wanna be shady about it F them.

I actually did just that in a CBS pay -public league last week.I dropped Maroney by mistake.I wanted to drop Leonard but I did it too fast,Leonard was the name right under Maroney.I immediately emailed all league owners and CBS.CBS answered me (the next day) and said they could do nothing which I found rather disturbing.However I was second on the w.wire and the team on top had not made one transaction all year so it was a good bet I would get Maroney back and it worked out that I did.I do run a 12 team cash baseball league with friends and if that happened I would just reverse it.CBS should have too.

Yeah. It's got to be an immediate notification. Who knows, though? From a third party perspective, sometimes it could appear to be collusion between a team that's just giving up to favor a contending team with a high waiver priority. That's not something anyone would consider fair game. Anyway you cut it, the balance of the league would favor to reverse it.

Had this happen with a trade in a league I commish. Guy was new, thought he was declining a trade offer and hit the button. He called and emailed me immediately that he did not want the trade. It was from the lowball trade guy in our league and nobody in their right mind would accept. I switched the trade back right away. If he had not notified me immediately after it happened, I would not have reversed it. The fact that he was new came into play too. You need to make sure that one of the tradees is not just having buyers remorse. The key is that the person making the error notifies the commish right away. The funny part is that the guy who offered the trade got very upset and left the league after that year. He was a long time member trying to take advantage of a newbie. All other owners agreed that it should have been reversed. The league has actually been better since that owner left.

I realize this is football, but my story below is worthy of a read even though it's basketball..

The biggest goof of my life was a few years ago when I was trying to drop Shawn Bradley but ended up dropping Shawn MARION!!! I was drinking a few beers one night and got tired of seeing the 'vanilla stick' falling down onto the floor on every play, so I decided to drop him and pick up someone else. Due to both players spelling their name the same (and because I was on about beer #7 for the night), I pushed the drop button, but when I saw that Shawn Bradley was still on my team and Shawn Marion was in the waiver pool I immediatly screamed out "NOOOOOOOOO!"..

Total idiot move..

And the worst part was that I was the commissioner, but the site we were using didn't allow me to put marion back on my team until he passed through waivers..I immediately posted "Everyone, I totally screwed up and dropped Marion by mistake, so please let him pass through waivers so I can get him back!". I even planned on using my waiver pick to do so which somewhat penalized me for doing such a lame move.

Everyone agreed to do this, but the only problem is that the one NEW guy I let into the league had a higher waiver slot and PICKED MARION UP!!

When I emailed him to tell him the situation, he said "dude, sorry about that, but you're the one who screwed up and so you're gonna have to live with it!"......I was speechless..

It ended up taking 4 days for me and the rest of the league to convince him to give Marion back to me, but he ended up getting 4 days of Marion's stats which is worth about 10 days of stats for any normal player...

SOOO, to sum things up..Everyone makes mistakes and when it's an obvious one like this I believe the player should be returned to the team who accidentally dropped him..

i've kinda had this happen, i was offered a trade and accidentally hit accept when i meant to do reject, the commish vetoed it when i explained, oddly enough it happened again but that time i was stuck with it, that sucked

it is the duty of the commish to uphold league integrity, and put the player back on the roster, we have had this happen in the past, i am commish, here is the rule instated:

Mistake Amendment :sponsored by Mike

Back in the day, an owner was given one chance by the commish to correct a glaring mistake; such as dropping Keenan McCardell unintentionaly. dont be that guy. but case-law will stand forever on this subject i guess.

My best advice,

Leagues should not allow owners to add/drop free agents on their own. Instead, leagues should use either a FAAB system, whereby owners submit blind bids to the Commish via e-mail for FA/Waiver players; OR, FA requests are sent to the Commish on WEDNESDAYS (or one specific day each week) and FA's are awarded to teams lower in the standings based on priority of requests and standings. The Commish can post his bids/FA requests on a separate (free) private message board with a password one hour before bids/FA requests are due.

In that case, those accidents can't happen, and nobody complains, and those two options are the most fair systems, and everybody has a chance to get a FA, rather than the fastest guy or the guy who at his computer all day/everyday. And with the FAAB, owners need to use their budget wisely, and therefore the smarter fantasy owners who spend their money the best will be rewarded, rather than have bush-leaguers sign every FA known to man, and let luck decide which FA player is really good for the season.

I think he should be forced to use his waiver on him. If he hits the open FA market, fair game.

I know as a commissioner if a big name player is dropped I always consult with the manager who dropped the player and find out why it happened... I also dont let managers drop big name players just because.. theres no reason for it... there are bench spots... earlier in the year a new manager decided to drop Hines Ward for Jeff Reed and I canceled the add and told him he should drop one of his 3 DEFENSES before he should drop Ward.. No reason to throw the balance of a league just because one manager is an idiot...

As long as its a true accident, then tell the commish what happened and make things right. Accidents really do happen sometimes.

this happened in my league where i am the commish and the league voted that as long as the owner posts on the message board that he made a mistake the commish corrects it. But we put a time table on this so that if more than a day goes by he is available to the whole league.

i think how this situation should be fixed depends on a few things...between the commish fixing it or letting the player be available...

one thing is if the owner posted soon after making the transaction...this at least shows he noticed something was wrong right away...

another would really depend on the player that he dropped...if he dropped say someone like brady or adrian peterson...then he obviously made a mistake, but if he dropped someone like say a marvin harrison, gore, or someone who has been dissappointing or injury questionable...i think this would have to weight in cuz that owner could really be considering dropping this guy but because of their name value or draft value, they could be second guessing themselves...

i would also imagine this would only happen one time all year...and if an owner or two were doing this in more then one occasion, unless it was really the softwares fault, i as the commish would not overturn these to make an example to be careful of every transaction u make...

If it's a league with friends your commish should just fix it for you. If it's a league with strangers there should be a league vote.

if u immediately notify everyone it shouldnt be a prob for the commish to help u out, and so u dont lose a waiver spot

Hypothetical situation.

You computer is acting weird. You are trying to drop a worthless player but instead you end up dropping a valuable player.

You IMMEDIATELY post on your league's message board and contact the commish to notify him of the error and ask him to use his powers to give you the player back.

This is a pay league.

What should happen?

When you say a "valuable player", I'm assuming you don't mean Dennis Northcutt, do you?!?......... YIKES!!!

Computer is acting weird sounds a bit fishy to me. My comp. will freeze or crash sometimes, but never causes me to click in the wrong little box!!!

If it's an honest mistake, and he lets you know immediately, commish should restore.

Obviously, if someone is making consistent mistakes, they should "mistakenly" be left off the draft night invite list next season as they seem incapable of using a computer.

Two weeks ago, I put in claims for the NY Giants D and/or Deshawn Wynn...I screwed up my "cut" list (thought the computer would automatically "cut" the player I named for the first one if I didn't get that claim) The service showed my choices, but the commish just told me: too bad.

Deshawn got 1 carry for 1 yard before he got carted off the field, and the Buffalo Defense, which I had to pick up instead of the NYG Defense, outscored the NYG Def enough to give me (a rare) win that week.

Sometimes, the football gods are listening...