Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

duke of queens

Wilmer Flores 2B/3B NYM

Whoa - This guy is actually pretty good. He is only 21 and hit .322 in Triple A and had 15HR and 80 RBI. Also doesn't strike out all that much. Also hit 35 doubles...

His biggest knock seems to be that he doesn't have much range defensively, so he projects to be more of a 1B than a 3B or 2B.

He has been promoted to the Mets (per Rubin)

Will be interesting to see a. what position elig. Yahoo! gives him (if any, at first) and b. what the Mets do with him and Murphy...could see Wilmer at 3b or 2b...still TBD

TC has discussed murph at 3b. Not sure they see Flores as a 3b (or 2b for that matter), but we will find out tomorrow if yahoo adds him (for us yahoo users) and then where he's pencilled in

It feels like this guy has been around forever, probably because he has. He started in the minors when he was 16. He's now 21 and put up some impressive power numbers in AAA, posting a .532 slugging pct. He's somehow a post-hype sleeper despite just recently turning legal drinking age. I doubt he'll see a lot of time this year, but if you're in a dynasty league and have room to spare, he's worth a gamble.

Flores has been starting at SS the last few days. I know the Mets have soured on Tejada. Is there any possibility he gets the starting SS job from Tejada?

Flores has been starting at SS the last few days. I know the Mets have soured on Tejada. Is there any possibility he gets the starting SS job from Tejada?

Doesn't sound like it will happen but the door is open if Tejeda struggles and Flores produces in AAA.

Well Tejeda has been horrible and Mets just DFA Quintanilla. No corresponding move announced yet but I'd assume its either Seratelli or Flores. If its Flores he will probably get bulk of playing time at SS and be fantasy relevant.

Tejada is the starter at SS correct? I know he's been struggling, but we should expect flores to be backup at first, correct? Anyway, how is flores' defense? He won't hold the job at SS if hes a butcher......

From what I hear, Flores is a butcher in the field. He has a career .962 fielding % in the minors and a .941 this year. Ruben Tejada is at .971 for his career. If the Mets had great defense at 2B and 3B this might be palatable. But they don't.

That said, I'm still snagging him as soon as he gets called up. Neither Duda nor Murphy are superstars, and the Mets could easily trade either one for a prospect and plug Wilmer into one of their slots. It's easy to forget that Wilmer is still only 22 and is on his third straight season of OPS > .800. He could easily hit .270 / 20 HR, with an upside even higher. Worth a flier if you have room

Good article below on how much his fielding might hurt him:

http://astromets.blogspot.com/2014/05/on-how-much-wilmer-flores-needs-to-hit.html

Tejada is the starter at SS correct? I know he's been struggling, but we should expect flores to be backup at first, correct? Anyway, how is flores' defense? He won't hold the job at SS if hes a butcher......

I'm assuming they will play Flores about 75% of the time at least. Mets are currently on a 23 inning scoreless streak, and they have pitched decently through this time. They need to sacrifice some defense for offense.

Plus they wouldn't call Flores up if they didn't plan on starting him most of the time. They would have left him in AAA. If they wanted a back up type they would have called up Seratelli.

I'm adding Flores in a deep mixed league, but not in a standard. He can hit for good average but power will be tough at CitiField. But if he can hit around .280 or better with 10-15 HR ROS that is valuable at SS. Has potential to hit .300 in the MLB.

I also read on a Mets site that its the perfect time to see if Flores can play SS or not. Mainly because soon Drew will not have draft pick consideration. So with all of this I really would be surprised if Flores is playing less than 75% of the time.

This situation is exactly why I think the rotoworld forums are the best around. Saw the post that flores should be getting the call up today and picked him up last night in my dynasty for 0 FAAB. Gets the call today and already have 3 guys looking to trade for him. Thank you sidearmer for being Johnny on the spot.

This situation is exactly why I think the rotoworld forums are the best around. Saw the post that flores should be getting the call up today and picked him up last night in my dynasty for 0 FAAB. Gets the call today and already have 3 guys looking to trade for him. Thank you sidearmer for being Johnny on the spot.

^ Spot on. I picked him up this morning (although I spent $2 FAAB) as a possible MI replacement for Brad "Windmill" Miller or even a chance to put Fat a** Sandoval on the pine.

Time will tell if he can handle SS at the MLB level but I don't think the Mets have anything to lose by replacing Tejeda with Flores