Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Patrick Bateman

2013 Streaming Defense/ST and Kickers Thread

We're getting close to week 1, so good time to open this up to folks. Talk about all things defense and kickers and feel free to ask questions too! Enjoy.

Week 1:

The new look Buccaneers could be successful against the Jets.

Washington could be useful if the Eagles are as bad as last year....but that could be very risky.

(I take it we offer DST's that are certainly not on rosters?)

The Chargers D probably won't be as good as last year from a fantasy perspective, but they have games against the Eagles, Titans, Raiders, and Jaguars before their bye in week 8.

Can we use this thread to rate top 10 defense since its still pre - season?

Colts are one year removed from a 4-3, and have an improved running game with Bradshaw. Could be sneaky against the weak-armed Raiders week 1.

Any advice for kickers/high scoring week 1 games?

Colts are one year removed from a 4-3, and have an improved running game with Bradshaw. Could be sneaky against the weak-armed Raiders week 1.

Any advice for kickers/high scoring week 1 games?

Colts at home too. Colts are in my lineup with confidence.

I'll go with TB here easy pick, the jets are ultra LOL this year. Revis against his old team too, should be plenty of picks/sacks.

PLus i can really see TB holding the balls/running up a lead early.

Indy & KC week 1. Vikings & Arizona could be a sneaky streams also. Both of those teams have the ability to take it to the house on special teams.

Tampa going to get grabbed fairly early in the draft as far as defenses go. Tough to just stream them for the pick they'll cost.

So....Colts or TB? Both available in my league. In addition to Week 1 matchups, Colts have MIA in week 2, TB has the Saints.

Or just stream against the Jets?

Really like the Bucs for this week. If you're looking for a two week package I have to agree with the Colts, facing Oakland then Miami, both at home. Looking ahead to week 3, Titans at home against the Chargers? We'll have to keep an eye on how they look in the first two weeks but that front four looks like it could be really mean after what they were doing to the Falcons line and Ryan in their last preseason game.

ive also been going back and forth on who to start, bucs or colts. ultimately went with the bucs even though the colts have the better two week matchups. just think the bucs have a better all around Defense. Patriots D probably has best two weeks to begin the year out of everyone after what happened with kolb.

my week 1 plays were posted in the defense thread of the general forum but I'll do a quick recap:

#1 Patriots - should be drafted as their big play potential will lead to top10 scoring regardless but if they somehow slip by, week 1 vs the Bills is my favorite matchup.

#2 Colts - home vs the Raiders. Oakland is on the East Coast at 1PM; never a good spot for them. Plus they're terrible. Will likely be a dirty, low scoring game so Oakland shouldn't need to play catchup the full game but Indy is a safe play for a few turnovers and sacks, plus a low score from Oakland.

#3 Browns - Home vs the overrated Dolphins. Will likely finish as a top10 D/ST as well so you can hold onto them but I prefer streaming. This underrated unit starts out vs a bottom5 oline without many explosive options to put up points. Doubt they pile up too many turnovers but my pick to lead all D/ST in sacks week 1.

If everyone in your league is streaming as well and you're really desperate, KC plays the Jaguars. Always a good matchup plus KC is a little underrated. The Rams host the Cardinals but they should be drafted as well. I love the Rams (they'd be my #3 pick for week 1 if they go undrafted).

The real issue is for week 2. Oakland plays Jacksonville plus it's in Oakland so streaming Jax is insane imo. There are no great week 2 matchups so probably no point in hoarding a D/ST this early. The Colts host the Dolphins as they begin the season with a sweet 2-game homestand so I'd bump the Colts up since they're the best stream for week 2 and one of the best for week 1. Always great to hold onto a D/ST for 2 games.

In week 2 the best matchups are D/ST that will get drafted. NE hosts the NYJ (bump them up even more! Best matchup for both week 1 and week 2). Bears hosting Minnesota should be good as well. Overall, streaming defenses will almost always prove more profitable than owning a defense for the full season but in week 2 we will be in dire straits. Try to get the Colts.

Any specific reason Bucs arent one of your choices for week 1? Just curious if you know something I dont. I know its in NYJ put pretty sure Geno has a good chance to start....

Any specific reason Bucs arent one of your choices for week 1? Just curious if you know something I dont. I know its in NYJ put pretty sure Geno has a good chance to start....

I like them week 1 there are just enough plays week 1 where they don't crack my rotation. They have no pass rush and give up tons of rushing yards. The Jets won't throw much limiting the opportunities for the Bucs to make INT's, which is their strength. In a shallow week I'd definitely start them but for week 1 there are better options.

As a side-note, I actually think the Jets can pull off a mild upset that game. They're only 3 point dogs on Vegas. The Bucs don't match up well with them

edit: also, I prefer to make my streamer a home team unless they're a truly elite ball-hawking unit (ie: Patriots)

I am targeting:

IND weeks 1-2

TEN weeks 3-4

KC weeks 5-6

NE weeks 7-9

BUF weeks 10-11

CLE weeks 12-13

DEN weeks 14-15

BUF weeks 15-16

NE wk 1 vs BUF is interesting too

one thing I want to hear opinions on- I tried the 'teams against X bad team' strategy last year, but utlimately it didn't work too well. If a team is TOO bad, then they just go 3 and out all the time. Sure you will snag some points allowed points, but sometimes garbage time negates those anyway.

And your chances at sacks and other defensive money makers decrease. Anyone else feel like it's better to take a shot at a team vs a middle-of-the-road offense?

I like them week 1 there are just enough plays week 1 where they don't crack my rotation. They have no pass rush and give up tons of rushing yards. The Jets won't throw much limiting the opportunities for the Bucs to make INT's, which is their strength. In a shallow week I'd definitely start them but for week 1 there are better options.

As a side-note, I actually think the Jets can pull off a mild upset that game. They're only 3 point dogs on Vegas. The Bucs don't match up well with them

edit: also, I prefer to make my streamer a home team unless they're a truly elite ball-hawking unit (ie: Patriots)

The Bucs give up a ton of rushing yards? They led the league last year, giving up only 82 ypg. You can say that this was due to their terrible pass D, but I'd say their secondary is improved. Granted, not much of a pass rush last season but we are talking a team that will roll out either Geno Smith or Mark Sanchez so there is always a chance for a mishap on either end (sack or pick or even a butt fumble) on any given play. With their run D, you know the Jets will have to throw to win and I say you have to like those chances.

What are tour guys kicker ranks? Who's a keeper?

Legatron was taken so I grabbed the Giants kicker, Josh Brown. Tynes put up a good amount of points last season so hopefully the trend continues with this new kicker.