Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Posting In The Clutch

Billy Hamilton 2013 Outlook

116 posts in this topic

Getting called up on Monday.

Probably will be limited to mainly being a pinch runner, no?

1 person likes this

Thanks for the heads up. I just picked him up - at the very least he'll ride my bench and prevent anyone else from getting a nice boost in SBs for the last days of the season.

He wasn't hitting that well in AAA this year, right? But he sure did steal still:

The Reds were previously undecided about whether to include Hamilton among their September call-ups due to 40-man roster concerns, but the speedster could make a big impact even if he's limited to pinch running. The 22-year-old is batting .256/.308/.344 with six home runs, 41 RBI, and 75 stolen bases in 122 games this season in Triple-A. He's a must-own in NL-only formats, but it's unclear whether he'll play enough to be worth owning outside of deeper mixed leagues. It should be a fun sneak preview, though. Aug 30 - 6:32 PM

Too bad he can't steal first base. But he could probably be a smaller version of what Otis Nixon was with the Expos when he stole like 50 bases in 200 at bats.

Posted · Hidden by The Harsh, September 1, 2013 - No reason given · Report post

Is he a no brainer pickup in keeper leagues?

Only if you have room. Right now he's probably Bonifacio at best, minus the playing time. Just don't see him getting much time.

But you add him due to the upside.

Depends how many you keep. I'm in a keep 5 league I won't be adding him.

Only if you have room. Right now he's probably Bonifacio at best, minus the playing time. Just don't see him getting much time.

But you add him due to the upside.

Bonifacio is who i was considering dropping for him... Couldnt pull the trigger.

He is the Reds 2013 September version of Herb Washington (look up this guys career statline, 30+ steals with no career at bats).

1 person likes this

He is the Reds 2013 September version of Herb Washington (look up this guys career statline, 30+ steals with no career at bats).

I thought I knew everything about baseball, and I missed this little factoid - very interesting :)

I had the Herb Washington baseball card. His position was listed as PR.

Yep, a Charlie O' production of those Swinging A's teams in the mid 70's, before my time, but seen some specials on them and it was a Motley bunch, HBO in their documentaries did one on them and the Raiders in the 70's called Rebels of Oakland, one of the best from that series and they are all pretty good but Washington was a track star or something I think.

Keeper league is where his value lies. Take a chance and hope he starts in 2014.

Won't be SS though, probably

I had the Herb Washington baseball card. His position was listed as PR.

Only baseball card ever made with pinch runner as a position. He really wasn't a very good base stealer though.

I wonder why more teams don't employ a guy like Herb Washington come September when rosters expand.

Find some track and field star, give him a crash course on basestealing and sliding technique. Bam. You've got yourself a dangerous late-inning pinch runner.

I wonder why more teams don't employ a guy like Herb Washington come September when rosters expand.

Find some track and field star, give him a crash course on basestealing and sliding technique. Bam. You've got yourself a dangerous late-inning pinch runner.

being a good baserunner is not something you learn in a crash course. there's many speedsters that spend years trying to learn it and never do. that's why you have guys that have great 40 times, and get caught over half the time.

being a good baserunner is not something you learn in a crash course. there's many speedsters that spend years trying to learn it and never do. that's why you have guys that have great 40 times, and get caught over half the time.

Denard Span.

Playing him tonight. Segura is out with an illness and i have no FA pickups available for the week.

Hopefully he gets me a stolen base.

1 person likes this

if he gets on base, he's money in the bank. rotoworld wasn't lying when they said he had value as a pinch runner.