Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Sven

Buy Low/Sell High Thread - 2013 Edition

Going to sell high on DMC and Amendola ASAP. Hopefully after week 1.

Amendola especially. Maybe I can sucker him into a Dez Bryant trade. I'll have to use the line "he has Brady throwing to him." It should work! Then he'll counter offer saying he wants a QB cause he has Weeden and Ponder. Ughh...

I was just using last season as an example. I can go back several years and think of people I have sold high on or bought low on that didn't work out. Sold high on Jordy in 2011, high on Foster in 2010. bought low on Portis in 2009. Like I said I am not disputing the theory of Buy Low/Sell High, I am just saying I have terrible luck with it, and browsing these forums for 4+ years now, often these candidates that Rotoworld elects are the ones that fail.

For this season if I have a player that makes an unexpected hot start, or has a big game I am going to think twice about the situation before throwing him on the trade block and accepting the first "Sell High" offer I get, because often that return you get for "selling high" is not as valuable as the product you just sold.

I don't know about this. Rotoworld hype machine was going nuts on Foster in '10 from early in the preseason. I snagged him in the 4th as a keeper and have parlayed it into cashing the last 3 seasons. I can't imagine the popular consensus in 2010 was him being a sell high.

Buying low on Terrelle Pryor? LOL. Somebody actually valued Pryor enough to draft him? And held him in high regard? And now after week 4 preseason is panicking and looking to unload at 10 cents to the dollar? Too funny.

It's not about drafting a guy in the 3rd round and then trying to flip him for a 1st rounder, that's just nonsensical, and quite frankly ,lazy.

It's about buying that 8th rounder before everybody starts sweating him and he turns into a 1st/2nd rounder

Likewise its about dumping your early picks before they just become season-long nightmares to own (e.g McFadden and Larry Fitz last year).

people aren't that dumb are they?

yes......in fact they are dumber.

think of how stupid the average person is.

now realize half the people are stupider then that.

It's not about drafting a guy in the 3rd round and then trying to flip him for a 1st rounder, that's just nonsensical, and quite frankly ,lazy.

It's about buying that 8th rounder before everybody starts sweating him and he turns into a 1st/2nd rounder

Likewise its about dumping your early picks before they just become season-long nightmares to own (e.g McFadden and Larry Fitz last year).

So basically you're talking about finding sleepers and knowing when to cut bait.

I think in order to truly "buy low" and "sell high", we have to wait for some regular season performances before players' perceived values change.

I hardly ever see people bite on the trades of selling a stud low after a couple bad weeks or buying a weekly wonder high because of a good start9l.jpg

Buy low on Google stock.

wait... wut?

Wish you would have told me this August of 2004!

people aren't that dumb are they?

yes......in fact they are dumber.

think of how stupid the average person is.

now realize half the people are stupider then that.

The irony is strong with this one. ;)

The first sell high of the season is...

Julius Thomas!

Time to buy low on Eric Decker, or are there just way too many mouths to feed in Denver's offense? I'm weak at WR2 as it stands, but I don't know where he really sits for rest of season projections.

Time to buy low on Eric Decker, or are there just way too many mouths to feed in Denver's offense? I'm weak at WR2 as it stands, but I don't know where he really sits for rest of season projections.

Some weeks he will have a dud like this week, other weeks he will go off for 20+ points. Typical WR2 production. If you can get him on the cheap, I would do it. I know I am going to try.

Some weeks he will have a dud like this week, other weeks he will go off for 20+ points. Typical WR2 production. If you can get him on the cheap, I would do it. I know I am going to try.

What would you consider "cheap" for Eric Decker?

What would you consider "cheap" for Eric Decker?

i am curious as well. Def not a guy i want to overpay for being that there are so many mouths to feed in denver.

peyton may never have higher price than tonight, sell high moment of epic proportions

peyton may never have higher price than tonight, sell high moment of epic proportions

This may be true. But it's hard for me to trade away a guy who could just run away with the #1 fantasy spot to full fill roster depth.

I agree Manning is an obvious sell high in the way that he will probably never have a night like this again, but jeez if you have the balls to trade away Peyton Manning you must have Brees/Rodgers/Brady as your "backup"...

I agree Manning is an obvious sell high in the way that he will probably never have a night like this again, but jeez if you have the balls to trade away Peyton Manning you must have Brees/Rodgers/Brady as your "backup"...

Well I think the idea of trading Manning at this point would be. A solid QB plus a stud WR or RB (2nd or 3rd rounder?). Honestly even that I probably wouldn't do.

Sell high means, get over paid. Really you should probably be trying to trade Manning for AP straight up right now.

Well I think the idea of trading Manning at this point would be. A solid QB plus a stud WR or RB (2nd or 3rd rounder?). Honestly even that I probably wouldn't do.

Sell high means, get over paid. Really you should probably be trying to trade Manning for AP straight up right now.

No one will ever do that. Given QB depth, most you would likely be able to do is a Stafford, RG3, Luck, or Ryan level QB and a RB2 (MJD, Forte, Gore, CJ2k). I think pulling that off would be tough.