Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

DB21

Vetoed Trade

As Commissioner I had to veto a trade. The Teams didn't agree. What do you think? Team 1 (who doesn't understand why it was vetoed) wants to trade QB Rothlesburger to Team 2 for WR AJ Green. (Not in this League.) Your comments please. Team 1 thinks I'm being a hard a**.

This one to me is difficult, Ive been a commissioner in my baseball league for over a decade (league is 20 years old) and weve started a successful football league over the last 4 years.

You are talking a backup QB in most fantasy formats for an elite frontline WR. This is the type of trade that makes the league look like a joke, because there is just no justification for doing it. As menioned in several posts, if there were some "factors" based on the format, one might see it differently (2QB League, keeper where Big Ben is ridiculously cheap, etc) but you have cleared up none of these apply to this situation.

Seems you have a couple of choices and thoughts:

1. Regardless of your decision, you need to point out to the league the dangers of this type of trade. People take this stuff serious, some spend a lot of time prepping for drafts, watching shows, scouring the net etc to be as competitive as they can be, and that all can get kicked to the curb with a trade like this, and it makes serious owners not want to participate. Its a league-killer type of trade if you have a certain mix of owners.

2. I think as a commissioner, its very difficult to legislate after the fact. You didnt have the type of structure in place to thwart these typpes of deals. So if it were me, I would ask the two owners to rework the trade for the fairness of the league, that this is the type of deal that can kill a league and honestly if they wont and cant see that, they can have the trade, but it will be their last year in the league.

3. Moving forward, you need to put some things in place to prevent this type of deal:

A. Have the ability for owners to call for a veto trade for any owner in their first "x number" of years in the league, that way if a newbie makes these types of trades, the league is protected and if they make them frequently in the first 2 years, you can not invite them back.

B. Have a league veto that if a trade is unanimously voted down, the trade is denied and those two owners are forbidden from trading with one another for the remainder of the season.

Overall, Im not a veto fan, I dont think commissioner should just have a veto, and I really only want to see it in cases of collusion (which most people think of as an agreement to partner up, but weve come to also include situations where one friend just gives another friend a below market rate trade that doesnt make sense).

Not very surprising that the people that were for allowing this trade to go through have disappeared. But guys, Roethlisberger COULD throw for 7000 yards and 65 TD's the rest of the way, I mean anything CAN happen, right? And AJ Green COULD stop being one of the top 3 fantasy WR in the league, even though he just threw up 150+ yards and 2 TDs (and could have had more, I watched the game). Christian Ponder COULD summon his inner Steve Young and be an MVP this year, so in fairness any player in the entire NFL straight up for Ponder should be allowed to go through because, again, anything COULD happen. I'm gonna go offer AP up for him in the league I own AP because you never know. Oh look, he's on the WW, yippee! Hey, look who else is on the WW, Mr. Ben Roethlisberger!

Now that I think about it, I COULD sleep with Scarlet Johansen, I mean anything is possible. Better dump my girlfriend now so her feelings don't get hurt. Scarlet and I are destined to be together, because I said so.

Quite possibly the worst logic I've ever seen discussed on any forum anywhere.

Not very surprising that the people that were for allowing this trade to go through have disappeared. But guys, Roethlisberger COULD throw for 7000 yards and 65 TD's the rest of the way, I mean anything CAN happen, right? And AJ Green COULD stop being one of the top 3 fantasy WR in the league, even though he just threw up 150+ yards and 2 TDs (and could have had more, I watched the game). Christian Ponder COULD summon his inner Steve Young and be an MVP this year, so in fairness any player in the entire NFL straight up for Ponder should be allowed to go through because, again, anything COULD happen. I'm gonna go offer AP up for him in the league I own AP because you never know. Oh look, he's on the WW, yippee! Hey, look who else is on the WW, Mr. Ben Roethlisberger!

Now that I think about it, I COULD sleep with Scarlet Johansen, I mean anything is possible. Better dump my girlfriend now so her feelings don't get hurt. Scarlet and I are destined to be together, because I said so.

It's 12 pages long bro. What else is left to talk about?

It's 12 pages long bro. What else is left to talk about?

Not much left to talk about, just mountains of crow for the people with the illogical argument that have caused this thread to reach 12 pages. Not trying to continue the discussion, because it's clearly over, just rubbing some statistics in their faces since that's really all we can go on when evaluating trades.