Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

DB21

Vetoed Trade

I would have vetoed it. I know a lot of people are anti-veto unless collusion is proven but trades like this just destroy the integrity of the league. I've been in (mostly baseball) leagues where stuff like this happens, and the league just ends up feeling like a clown show. Sure, restricting manager movement sucks but so does turning the league into a race to rip off the idiot in the group. There's no skill involved in getting AJ for Ben. I'd be pissed if I prepared well, drafted well and managed well only to be put at a disadvantage because I didn't think to offer a late round pick for a second round pick. It's a no-win because someone ends up getting screwed but I'd rather give the league a chance and have the winner be determined by skill at fantasy football instead of skill at taking advantage of a newbie who doesn't know what they're doing.

Next year I'd just boot the guy giving up Green out of the league.

What do you do if AJ tears his ACL in the first game and Ben finishes a top 10 QB? Just tell the guy it was in the best interest of the league?

there wouldn't be any difference...if the trade went through AJ's owner would be upset and if the trade didn't go through then AJ's owner would be upset.

I'm never in favor of commissioner vetoes. If collusion is there or the integrity of the league at stake then the league should be able to vote on it and majority rules.

I'm actually rarely in favor of vetoes at all and have seen some pretty horrible trades go through, BUT this trade is beyond terrible. It reeks of a guy that knows nothing about ffball trying to learn the ropes and getting taken for. I'd be ok with it if it only negatively affected the guy making the terrible trade, but it affects everyone in the league. You cannot gift wrap another team the third best WR in the game. Im all about newbies learning from mistakes but leagues should not be a feeding frenzy on the new guy trying to get his first/second rounders for late round picks. Maybe there's something about this trade I'm missing that makes Big Ben extremely valuable to this guy but in a standard ten team league I can't imagine it.

So basically I'm against your commish veto but I would've voted against it and if the rest of the league didnt then oh well

I would have vetoed it. I know a lot of people are anti-veto unless collusion is proven but trades like this just destroy the integrity of the league. I've been in (mostly baseball) leagues where stuff like this happens, and the league just ends up feeling like a clown show. Sure, restricting manager movement sucks but so does turning the league into a race to rip off the idiot in the group. There's no skill involved in getting AJ for Ben. I'd be pissed if I prepared well, drafted well and managed well only to be put at a disadvantage because I didn't think to offer a late round pick for a second round pick. It's a no-win because someone ends up getting screwed but I'd rather give the league a chance and have the winner be determined by skill at fantasy football instead of skill at taking advantage of a newbie who doesn't know what they're doing.

What do you do if AJ tears his ACL in the first game and Ben finishes a top 10 QB? Just tell the guy it was in the best interest of the league?

By that logic I guess you'd have no problem with AP getting traded for geno smith. AP could tear his acl again and geno could blow up. Doesn't stop the trade from ruining the integrity of the league.

There's a fine line between getting the better of newbies and downright screwing every other owner over at their expense. This case falls into the latter IMO

That absolutely needed to be vetoed, unless you're starting 2 QBs...How exactly are you ever going to "prove" collusion anyway? Are the participants going to give you access to their bank records? No, that's a type of trade that harms the competitive balance of the league in a really sketchy way. One more trade like that from the guy accepting Roth for Green and I'd find a new participant next year. Totally unacceptable. Yes, I find vetoes repulsive, but I find the total disregard of market value harmful to real competition and worth addressing. Good for you in rejecting the trade.

I agree it shouldn't be vetoed, but imho the "what if he got injured..." rationale is bullsht (sorry). You cannot have that as one of the reasons for the trade. Now, if AJ was already injured, then sure, that would be a factor.

I am usually against vetoing as the commissioner (creates more problems that it solves). Simply setting a 24 hour period for league members to veto trades would have solved the problem here. In my 12 team league it requires 7 votes to either veto or accept the trade, and has worked wonders in the past few years. A trade like this would have been vetoed quickly. All would learn that offering lopsided trades to less experienced players won't fly and you wont see others members offering crap like that in the future.

There is no way I would be in a league that veto's a trade like this. Horrible veto. You shouldnt be the commish if you veto this. How do you know exaclty how this season will play out with these two players? Do you have a crystal ball? What if Ben throws 45TDs this year in an offense with no running game where hes forced to air it out? What if AJ takes a step back this year in an offense with more mouths to feed? Im not saying it will happen but anything can happen which is why this is a horrible veto. There both star players. Its not like he traded Mark Sanchez for AJ Green. Now thats a trade you veto.. not this one. Let owners follow their beliefs on how they think players will do. Isnt that the whole point of playing fantasy? It really irritates me to see trades like this vetoed Im sorry. Only obviously unfair trades should be vetoed. Nobody can tell the future here which is basically what your saying you can do by vetoing this trade. You get an F commish.

This is crazy how many people think this trade shouldn't be vetoed. He probably should of let the league do it instead of him as the commish but its a 10 team 1 QB league. Ben is ranked as the #16 QB right now (maybe you would rank him higher than the site I use, but nobody is putting him in the top 10-12), and most teams I play with don't even roster 2QBs in these types of leagues. Ben is waiver wire replacement material in this type of league. Green is a top 5 WR who someone spent a 2nd rounder on. If owner one wants Ben he can certainly give up a much lower tier WR to get him, or if he just doens't like Green he can get significantly better value than Ben.

This is crazy how many people think this trade shouldn't be vetoed. He probably should of let the league do it instead of him as the commish but its a 10 team 1 QB league. Ben is ranked as the #16 QB right now (maybe you would rank him higher than the site I use, but nobody is putting him in the top 10-12), and most teams I play with don't even roster 2QBs in these types of leagues. Ben is waiver wire replacement material in this type of league. Green is a top 5 WR who someone spent a 2nd rounder on. If owner one wants Ben he can certainly give up a much lower tier WR to get him, or if he just doens't like Green he can get significantly better value than Ben.

Who are you to say Big Ben wont be a top 5 QB this year? Do you also have a crystal ball? It can most definitely happen. This trade should not be vetoed. I think some of you dont realize what an unfair trade really looks like. Just because you see it one way doesnt mean thats how it will play out. What if Ben throws 45TDs this year like I said and AJ takes a step back? IT CAN HAPPEN! What are you supposed to tell the owner who wouldve traded for Ben?? "Sorry bro I whipped out my crystal ball in the beginning of the year and it told me this trade was unfair so dont even bother making risky trades anymore because you wont be able to anyway"... so ridiculous.

Who are you to say Big Ben wont be a top 5 QB this year? Do you also have a crystal ball? It can most definitely happen. This trade should not be vetoed. I think some of you dont realize what an unfair trade really looks like. Just because you see it one way doesnt mean thats how it will play out. What if Ben throws 45TDs this year like I said and AJ takes a step back? IT CAN HAPPEN! What are you supposed to tell the owner who wouldve traded for Ben?? "Sorry bro I whipped out my crystal ball in the beginning of the year and it told me this trade was unfair so dont even bother making risky trades anymore because you wont be able to anyway"... so ridiculous.

This above thinking is limited. You can use that argument on any two players. For example, what if AP gets hurt first week and Michael Turner replaces him and rushes for 2000 yards? So a AP for Turner trade is cool cause your crystal ball didnt tell you this would happen? That's ridiculous.

There is no way I would be in a league that veto's a trade like this. Horrible veto. You shouldnt be the commish if you veto this. How do you know exaclty how this season will play out with these two players? Do you have a crystal ball? What if Ben throws 45TDs this year in an offense with no running game where hes forced to air it out? What if AJ takes a step back this year in an offense with more mouths to feed? Im not saying it will happen but anything can happen which is why this is a horrible veto. There both star players. Its not like he traded Mark Sanchez for AJ Green. Now thats a trade you veto.. not this one. Let owners follow their beliefs on how they think players will do. Isnt that the whole point of playing fantasy? It really irritates me to see trades like this vetoed Im sorry. Only obviously unfair trades should be vetoed. Nobody can tell the future here which is basically what your saying you can do by vetoing this trade. You get an F commish.

Your argument is completely ridiculous and you should be put on probation from posting for a week or two so you can think about what you're saying.

This above thinking is limited. You can use that argument on any two players. For example, what if AP gets hurt first week and Michael Turner replaces him and rushes for 2000 yards? So a AP for Turner trade is cool cause your crystal ball didnt tell you this would happen? That's ridiculous.

Exactly, it's horrible logic. Any player has the possibility to blow up and any player has the possibility of a season ending injury. These are not reasons to be ok with insane trades like this.

League integrity is important. Commish vetoing is lame but league vetoing is appropriate in this case.

I would have no problem vetoing this trade nor would I feel bad about it. It's a crap trade period that super lopsided for one team, one guy is getting rid of his trash and getting gold in return. AJ Green for Big Ben... are you kidding me...? At least get a comparable QB or one that would be a starter for most leagues. Trade is so ridiculous, I can't believe people are even defending this it screams collusion.

My suggestion is for your league mates to run very very far away from any league that you are the commissioner of. Not everyone needs a trophy and new people learn by mistakes. If your coddled you will always suck.

My suggestion is for your league mates to run very very far away from any league that you are the commissioner of. Not everyone needs a trophy and new people learn by mistakes. If your coddled you will always suck.

Newbies making mistakes is fine. Everyone always tries to rip off the new guys, but do you not draw the line somewhere? Would you allow an AP for geno smith trade?

Trades like that turn good leagues into circuses

Trades,Ike that are what makes a league last, it takes a noob from 0 to 60 in ten seconds I guarantee he won't make a mistake like that again. And if he does do you really want him in your league then?

I think the most erroneously used statement is when people say things 'scream collusion'.

The smartest attorneys in the world lay off collusion and conspiracy's because without solid proof, it can't be proved. It's so speculative and conclusionary. Wish people would stop.

Trades,Ike that are what makes a league last, it takes a noob from 0 to 60 in ten seconds I guarantee he won't make a mistake like that again. And if he does do you really want him in your league then?

So you think leagues should just be a feeding frenzy on the new guy then? A race to see who can get a top 5 player for WW fodder? No thanks. That's where I draw the line and avoid playing in a bush league.

The people who think the Commish shouldn't veto any trade unless its obv. collusion don't realize a trade like this affects every person in the league, not just the people involved in the trade...that's why most leagues allow the other players to vote if a trade should be allowed, and I would vote to veto this type of trade every time. Since this league didn't have this system, I would expect the commish to veto an obv. unfair trade or I would think he's not doing his job. Allowing a person to attain a team that would be IMPOSSIBLE to get through drafting and fair/somewhat fair trades is not right to other players and does ruin a league.

And to the people who say "Its a fair trade because their both star players"...In a 10 team 1 QB league Rothlisberger isn't going to be starting unless there's an injury or as a bye week filler, Green is going to be in the lineup every week. There's more involved in a fair trade then just trying to see if their colluding.

According to ESPN, Big Ben's ADP is 101. Green's is 15. This is a terrible trade. There lies some responsibility for the commissioner to keep the legitimacy of the league. Green is a top 15 fantasy player. Roethlisberger might not even be a top 15 QB. No way anyone can argue that trade was fair, or that getting Roethlisberger and giving up AJ Green makes your team better. Unless you're playing in a point per completion league with 6 pt TDs, this deal is awful. Even if it's not collusion, it's pure stupidity.

I think you had to veto it, especially in a money league. I dont care about the new guy getting screwed, but you cant allow the rest of the league to get screwed over. You are more likely to lose the other 7 members of the league's interest than the one guy that is trying to take advantage of the newb.

And the argument that Ben might blow up is a weak one. If the owenr thought that, then he could have drafted him in the 11 rounds he was available.

I probably would've waited for the league to vote on it. It's also a little bit situationa--If it's a new guy then I think I would definitely veto the trade (and maybe reconsider having him in the league if he doesn't get a bit more knowledgeable). If it's a guy who's been in the league previously and has generally been informed I would maybe have to think twice about it. Ideally the league would vote on it and you wouldn't have to veto it.

I also agree with the above posts that talk about how it affects not just the two teams involved but everybody in the league. Generally speaking getting an extra 2nd round pick is pretty strong. A trade like that really can throw the balance of a league off for a season and lead to a lot of people being disinterested by the middle of the season.

I agree, the trade shouldn't have been vetoed without consulting both team owners. My guess is the Guy who traded for big ben is new to fantasy football. He saw big ben's point total in comparison and said, "Big Ben scored more points so I will take it. Derp."

Next time, I would ask both players to present their case for why they are trading the players. If both have good reasons and both think the trade makes their team better, then allow it. If you have an Al Davis in the league, then determine whether he should be in there next year or if he needs replaced.

I didn't get through the 3rd page of this because this post pretty much sums up my take on it too. This is like David Stern's vetoing the Chris Paul to the Lakers trade "for basketball reasons" I hate the Lakers, but they got hosed...Shoulda at least consulted and gotten each player's take

Sorry that the OP vetoed your trade, and you are not getting AJ Green.

What exactly is the difference between Mark Sanchez and Ben Rothleisberger in a 10 team 1 QB league? They're both backups, maybe 1 week fill-ins in the best case scenario. Yes, in real life Rothleisberger is much more valuable because he's won super bowls and is an all-around superior QB but in fantasy there isn't much difference. You have a very narrow-minded point of view on this subject, leads me to believe you've been the one trading Rothleisberger in a situation similar to this before and had it vetoed.

BTW, if we're going to play the "what if" game, what if AJ Green is the best fantasy WR in the league and Rothleisberger is injured by week 5, both scenarios which are FAR more likely than your "what ifs".

I hate the veto when it is abused by greedy owners jealous that another team got a player they want regardless of how fair the deal is. This right here is the situation the veto exists for however.