Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

DB21

Vetoed Trade

There is no way I would be in a league that veto's a trade like this. Horrible veto. You shouldnt be the commish if you veto this. How do you know exaclty how this season will play out with these two players? Do you have a crystal ball? What if Ben throws 45TDs this year in an offense with no running game where hes forced to air it out? What if AJ takes a step back this year in an offense with more mouths to feed? Im not saying it will happen but anything can happen which is why this is a horrible veto. There both star players. Its not like he traded Mark Sanchez for AJ Green. Now thats a trade you veto.. not this one. Let owners follow their beliefs on how they think players will do. Isnt that the whole point of playing fantasy? It really irritates me to see trades like this vetoed Im sorry. Only obviously unfair trades should be vetoed. Nobody can tell the future here which is basically what your saying you can do by vetoing this trade. You get an F commish.

What exactly is the difference between Mark Sanchez and Ben Rothleisberger in a 10 team 1 QB league? They're both backups, maybe 1 week fill-ins in the best case scenario. Yes, in real life Rothleisberger is much more valuable because he's won super bowls and is an all-around superior QB but in fantasy there isn't much difference. You have a very narrow-minded point of view on this subject, leads me to believe you've been the one trading Rothleisberger in a situation similar to this before and had it vetoed.

BTW, if we're going to play the "what if" game, what if AJ Green is the best fantasy WR in the league and Rothleisberger is injured by week 5, both scenarios which are FAR more likely than your "what ifs".

I hate the veto when it is abused by greedy owners jealous that another team got a player they want regardless of how fair the deal is. This right here is the situation the veto exists for however.

First of all nowhere in the original post did he say it was a 2QB league... I dont read minds. Secondly what you said makes my point for me. Yes of course Ben can be injured by week 5 and AJ can be the best WR in football... that CAN happen. However what I said about Ben throwing 45TDs this year and AJ taking a step back CAN happen as well. My point is that not I nor you nor anybody else can predict what will happen this season. Did people know that Tom Brady was going to throw for 50TDs the year before he did it??? NO! I bet that year if you offered somebody Tom Brady for a top 3WR this commish woudlve vetoed it too right? Well guess what he woudlve been dead wrong. Im not saying this is a trade I would make and trade away AJ for Ben in a 1 QB league but the point is that nobody can predict the future here which is what your doing by vetoeing trades that arent completely unfair and did you really ask me what the difference is between Mark Sanchez and Big Ben?? Lets think about it.. Mark Sanchez isnt even a starter and Big Ben has won 2 super bowls and puts up great numbers year in year out.. Your right not much of a difference there.

I hate vetoing trades and very rarely do it as a commish.

Normally I will only veto if I think someone is cheating or it is the fleecing of a new owner. I think this one almost has to fall into the fleecing of a new owner category. There is no way an owner with any experience would trade AJ for Ben.

According to ESPN, Big Ben's ADP is 101. Green's is 15. This is a terrible trade. There lies some responsibility for the commissioner to keep the legitimacy of the league. Green is a top 15 fantasy player. Roethlisberger might not even be a top 15 QB. No way anyone can argue that trade was fair, or that getting Roethlisberger and giving up AJ Green makes your team better. Unless you're playing in a point per completion league with 6 pt TDs, this deal is awful. Even if it's not collusion, it's pure stupidity.

Your right... ESPN ranks are gospel. Their never wrong. Were not here arguing if the trade was fair. Were arguing if it was unfair enough to get vetoed.. which it isnt.

According to ESPN, Big Ben's ADP is 101. Green's is 15. This is a terrible trade. There lies some responsibility for the commissioner to keep the legitimacy of the league. Green is a top 15 fantasy player. Roethlisberger might not even be a top 15 QB. No way anyone can argue that trade was fair, or that getting Roethlisberger and giving up AJ Green makes your team better. Unless you're playing in a point per completion league with 6 pt TDs, this deal is awful. Even if it's not collusion, it's pure stupidity.

Your right... ESPN ranks are gospel. Their never wrong. Where not here arguing if the trade was fair. Where arguing if it was unfair enough to get vetoed.. which it isnt.

You're*. They're*. We're*. We're*.

You're welcome.

This is crazy how many people think this trade shouldn't be vetoed. He probably should of let the league do it instead of him as the commish but its a 10 team 1 QB league. Ben is ranked as the #16 QB right now (maybe you would rank him higher than the site I use, but nobody is putting him in the top 10-12), and most teams I play with don't even roster 2QBs in these types of leagues. Ben is waiver wire replacement material in this type of league. Green is a top 5 WR who someone spent a 2nd rounder on. If owner one wants Ben he can certainly give up a much lower tier WR to get him, or if he just doens't like Green he can get significantly better value than Ben.

Who are you to say Big Ben wont be a top 5 QB this year? Do you also have a crystal ball? It can most definitely happen. This trade should not be vetoed. I think some of you dont realize what an unfair trade really looks like. Just because you see it one way doesnt mean thats how it will play out. What if Ben throws 45TDs this year like I said and AJ takes a step back? IT CAN HAPPEN! What are you supposed to tell the owner who wouldve traded for Ben?? "Sorry bro I whipped out my crystal ball in the beginning of the year and it told me this trade was unfair so dont even bother making risky trades anymore because you wont be able to anyway"... so ridiculous.

This above thinking is limited. You can use that argument on any two players. For example, what if AP gets hurt first week and Michael Turner replaces him and rushes for 2000 yards? So a AP for Turner trade is cool cause your crystal ball didnt tell you this would happen? That's ridiculous.

No theres a big difference in what I said and what u just said CAN happen. Turner is a backup RB. I mean come on man. Big Ben is a starting elite QB in this league. Obviously if he was trading backups for starters.... THATS WHEN U VETO!!

Your right... ESPN ranks are gospel. Their never wrong. Where not here arguing if the trade was fair. Where arguing if it was unfair enough to get vetoed.. which it isnt.

You're*. They're*. We're*. We're*.

You're welcome.

Oh excuuuuuse me. Wait this lesson sounds familiar.. Ms.Goldstein is that youuu?!

Hard to say if it should be vetoed, need a lot more information

but it's clearly likely an awful trade that nobody reading this would make.

There is no way I would be in a league that veto's a trade like this. Horrible veto. You shouldnt be the commish if you veto this. How do you know exaclty how this season will play out with these two players? Do you have a crystal ball? What if Ben throws 45TDs this year in an offense with no running game where hes forced to air it out? What if AJ takes a step back this year in an offense with more mouths to feed? Im not saying it will happen but anything can happen which is why this is a horrible veto. There both star players. Its not like he traded Mark Sanchez for AJ Green. Now thats a trade you veto.. not this one. Let owners follow their beliefs on how they think players will do. Isnt that the whole point of playing fantasy? It really irritates me to see trades like this vetoed Im sorry. Only obviously unfair trades should be vetoed. Nobody can tell the future here which is basically what your saying you can do by vetoing this trade. You get an F commish.

What exactly is the difference between Mark Sanchez and Ben Rothleisberger in a 10 team 1 QB league? They're both backups, maybe 1 week fill-ins in the best case scenario. Yes, in real life Rothleisberger is much more valuable because he's won super bowls and is an all-around superior QB but in fantasy there isn't much difference. You have a very narrow-minded point of view on this subject, leads me to believe you've been the one trading Rothleisberger in a situation similar to this before and had it vetoed.

BTW, if we're going to play the "what if" game, what if AJ Green is the best fantasy WR in the league and Rothleisberger is injured by week 5, both scenarios which are FAR more likely than your "what ifs".

I hate the veto when it is abused by greedy owners jealous that another team got a player they want regardless of how fair the deal is. This right here is the situation the veto exists for however.

First of all nowhere in the original post did he say it was a 2QB league... I dont read minds. Secondly what you said makes my point for me. Yes of course Ben can be injured by week 5 and AJ can be the best WR in football... that CAN happen. However what I said about Ben throwing 45TDs this year and AJ taking a step back CAN happen as well. My point is that not I nor you nor anybody else can predict what will happen this season. Did people know that Tom Brady was going to throw for 50TDs the year before he did it??? NO! I bet that year if you offered somebody Tom Brady for a top 3WR this commish woudlve vetoed it too right? Well guess what he woudlve been dead wrong. Im not saying this is a trade I would make and trade away AJ for Ben in a 1 QB league but the point is that nobody can predict the future here which is what your doing by vetoeing trades that arent completely unfair and did you really ask me what the difference is between Mark Sanchez and Big Ben?? Lets think about it.. Mark Sanchez isnt even a starter and Big Ben has won 2 super bowls and puts up great numbers year in year out.. Your right not much of a difference there.

The fact that we can't predict big season for players means we have to use common sense when judging trades, and common sense tells us Rothlisberger for Green in a 1 QB 10 team league is not even close to being a a fair trade and should be vetoed.

The fact that we can't predict big season for players means we have to use common sense when judging trades, and common sense tells us Rothlisberger for Green is not even close to being a a fair trade and should be vetoed.

Your "common sense" is disguised as judgement in your own mind against this trade. We cant predict anything your absolutely right which is why a trade should not be vetoed unless its obviously unfair. Something like Mike Turner for AJ... Yea u veto that! Not Big Ben who has the opportunity to air it out and explode and is as consistent as they come. Like I said this is not a trade Id make in a 1QB league but is it unfair enough to veto is the question here... and its not. Maybe some are you are forgetting how great Big Ben can be. I had him last year and he was a top 5 QB until he got hurt.

The fact that we can't predict big season for players means we have to use common sense when judging trades, and common sense tells us Rothlisberger for Green in a 1 QB 10 team league is not even close to being a a fair trade and should be vetoed.

You are right, it is not a fair trade. AJ Green is far superior in the mind of nearly everyone.

The real question though: is it the role of the commish to regulate what is 'fair' and stop teams from making lopsided trades? I say no. If it isn't cheating or taking advantage of a noob, it should stand. I still think this deal MUST be the fleecing of a noob (which I would veto).

Honestly you just hope you don't have owners in your league who make deals like this, but if you do you end up in a touchy situation.

The fact that we can't predict big season for players means we have to use common sense when judging trades, and common sense tells us Rothlisberger for Green is not even close to being a a fair trade and should be vetoed.

Your "common sense" is disguised as judgement in your own mind against this trade. We cant predict anything your absolutely right which is why a trade should not be vetoed unless its obviously unfair. Something like Mike Turner for AJ... Yea u veto that! Not Big Ben who has the opportunity to air it out and explode and is as consistent as they come. Like I said this is not a trade Id make in a 1QB league but is it unfair enough to veto is the question here... and its not.

Consistent? How many seasons has he finished inside the top 10 in fantasy? He was 13th in 2011 and 19th last year. 1 of us doesn't know the definition of consistent or obviously unfair.

No s***, anything can happen, but by that logic, any single player can be traded for any other player. Dumb logic. You just compared 2013 Ben with 2007 Brady? Hmm, Brady's team added Moss and Welker, Ben's team lost Mike Wallace. Totally justifiable that you would assume a record breaking performance from him.

Using your logic is no way to justify trades, it makes no sense. You justify trades that happen before the season starts by ADP and projections, and using both of those you can see that this trade is completely vetoable.

Difference between Big Ben and Sanchez in a 10 team 1 QB league? One is higher than the other on your waiver wire.

Your "common sense" is disguised as judgement in your own mind against this trade. We cant predict anything your absolutely right which is why a trade should not be vetoed unless its obviously unfair. Something like Mike Turner for AJ... Yea u veto that! Not Big Ben who has the opportunity to air it out and explode and is as consistent as they come. Like I said this is not a trade Id make in a 1QB league but is it unfair enough to veto is the question here... and its not.

Consistent? How many seasons has he finished inside the top 10 in fantasy?

What does finishing top 10 overall have to do with consistency? How many times has AJ finished top 10? once.

No s***, anything can happen, but by that logic, any single player can be traded for any other player. Dumb logic. You just compared 2013 Ben with 2007 Brady? Hmm, Brady's team added Moss and Welker, Ben's team lost Mike Wallace. Totally justifiable that you would assume a record breaking performance from him.

Using your logic is no way to justify trades, it makes no sense. You justify trades that happen before the season starts by ADP and projections, and using both of those you can see that this trade is completely vetoable.

Difference between Big Ben and Sanchez in a 10 team 1 QB league? One is higher than the other on your waiver wire.

No! Any player should not be traded for any player. Big Ben is a star. AJ Green is a star. These arent "any players". There both stars. Of course you veto Leon Washington for AJ Green. Not BigBen for AJ Green even though its a stupid trade... doesnt mean it should be vetoed.

Of course you predicted 50TDs for Brady before he did it.. obviously everybody saw that one coming. Hindsight is 20/20 my friend. Nobody knew Brady was going to throw for 50Tds to say you did is ridiculous. Yea we knew his offense would be better but to say you expected 50TDs is ridiculous at that point in Toms career.

What does finishing top 10 overall have to do with consistency? How many times has AJ finished top 10? once.

I'm not even going to respond any more you're either an idiot or a troll.

this is what ppl say when they have nothing left to say. Mark me down as a troll I could care less. Like I would actually troll an assistant bench coach forum question for the fun of it.lol. To think anyone of us are completely right in this situation is very foolish. I forgot everybody is Ms.Cleo on rotoworld nowadays.

The people saying this trade not vetoable are the people that have no problem trading a WW player for a first rounder from a noob who probably just goes off name value. I'd be embarrassed with myself if I pulled a trade like this off.

I agree with others saying the commish definitely shouldve talked to both parties first. If its an old fashioned noob fleecing the rest of the league will vote against it. Then you explain to the noob how basic player valuation works and if he still makes insane trades you replace him with someone else.

Getting ripped off and giving a 1-2 rounder for WW players are two different things.

And the people saying " anything can happen, Ben could be a top 5qb and AJ could bust"......just stop. That's beyond horrible logic and can literally be used for any trade possible no matter how bad it is. A line has to be drawn somewhere.

this is what ppl say when they have nothing left to say. Mark me down as a troll I could care less. Like I would actually troll an assistant bench coach forum question for the fun of it.lol. To think anyone of us are completely right in this situation is very foolish. I forgot everybody is Ms.Cleo on rotoworld nowadays.

Big Ben is a real life star he is NOT a fantasy star there is a difference. Big Ben is ranked near the middle of the pack for QBs by most every site I have looked at and by most anyone I have talked to. In a 10 team 1 QB league you don't even roster a player like this. AJ Green is a top 5 WR, he had one of the best rookie years for a reciever, and followed it up with a top 5 season.

In terms of fantasy this is trading one star for waiver wire fodder. It doesn't matter if Ben is a star in real life or not. Tim Tebow is a star, are you going to trade Brandon Marshall for him this season?

The people saying this trade not vetoable are the people that have no problem trading a WW player for a first rounder from a noob who probably just goes off name value. I'd be embarrassed with myself if I pulled a trade like this off.

I agree with others saying the commish definitely shouldve talked to both parties first. If its an old fashioned noob fleecing the rest of the league will vote against it. Then you explain to the noob how basic player valuation works and if he still makes insane trades you replace him with someone else.

Getting ripped off and giving a 1-2 rounder for WW players are two different things.

And the people saying " anything can happen, Ben could be a top 5qb and AJ could bust"......just stop. That's beyond horrible logic and can literally be used for any trade possible no matter how bad it is. A line has to be drawn somewhere.

Wait so if the commish talked to both sides then its fair? aha! now i get it. So ridiculous

As a commissiiner of a league I habe made my fair amount of mistakes. However, by talking to your leaguemates and explaining the situation it helps. It also helps to talk about these types of trades and anything else that could be a problem. Write up some rules that majority of the league is in agreeance with so you have something to back you up when you make a decision like this.

I implemented, with consent of the league, no vetoes unless collusion could be proved or if the trade was terribly lopsided. I also appointefpd a league manager to help in rulings so it wouldn't be looked at as a dictatorship. Again the league manager was appointed by tue league. Finally, any trade that is agreed upon by two owners will go through a 48 hour window where other owners could make a potentially better offer for the players being traded. This basically assires that lopsided trades won't happen, again another league approved mandate.It has also rampped up the competition.

Big Ben is a real life star he is NOT a fantasy star there is a difference. Big Ben is ranked near the middle of the pack for QBs by most every site I have looked at and by most anyone I have talked to. In a 10 team 1 QB league you don't even roster a player like this. AJ Green is a top 5 WR, he had one of the best rookie years for a reciever, and followed it up with a top 5 season.

In terms of fantasy this is trading one star for waiver wire fodder. It doesn't matter if Ben is a star in real life or not. Tim Tebow is a star, are you going to trade Brandon Marshall for him this season?

so now were comparing BigBen to Tim Tebow.. you know what this convo has run its course. GL commish on some more future bad vetoing. Your doing a great job.

Wait so if the commish talked to both sides then its fair? aha! now i get it. So ridiculous

Huh? No. I'm saying I'm never a fan of commish vetoes at all, I prefer the league to vote on it. But if a commish is considering veto he should talk to both sides. Was that too complex for you to understand?

Huh? No. I'm saying I'm never a fan of commish vetoes at all, I prefer the league to vote on it. But if a commish is considering veto he should talk to both sides. Was that too complex for you to understand?

Nah I think thats simple enough for us both. What difference does it make if he talks to both sides exactly? Does that change what players are involved? No! so what difference would that make? If both owners give u certain answers then you allow it? if they give you wrong answers than u veto it? please explain this to me.

Nah I think thats simple enough for us both. What difference does it make if he talks to both sides exactly? Does that change what players are involved? No! so what difference would that make? If both owners give u certain answers then you allow it? if they give you wrong answers than u veto it? please explain this to me.

All I'm saying is there may be more to this trade that we don't know. It's always good to communicate with the owners first if you're considering using commish veto anyway. On the surface this trade reeks of a noob going off name value. "Big Ben was a Super Bowl MVP!! I don't even know who AJ green is. Sure lets trade!"

Even if there aren't any answers that prevent the trade from being veto worthy, communication keeps a league from being a dictatorship and pissing people off.

But none of that is really the issue. The issue is whether this trade is worthy of being vetoed and the answer in a competitive league with integrity is yes. Teams shouldve voted on it though

How stupid would you feel if Big Ben turned out to be the best QB in the league? Sorry buddy, you don't get to set everybody's team.

If your league sucks, find a new league.