Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

bball961

Giannis Antetokounmpo 2013-2014 Season Outlook

Antetokounmpo’s weaknesses are his slim body, defensive consistency, perimeter shooting and lack of experience. He only weighs 205 pounds. He might be able to play shooting guard until he adds more strength to play the forward spots. Many times Antetokounmpo is not in a defensive stance. He stands too upright, which enables the offensive player to blow past him. While Antetokounmpo’s range does extend to the three-point line, he has no mid-range game and his shot has a low release point. The last thing is that he lacks quality basketball experience. He only picked up basketball the last few years and the highest competition he has ever encountered was division two.

Read more at http://www.rantsports.com/nba/2013/08/23/milwaukee-bucks-2013-player-profile-giannis-antetokounmpo/?gZkPCGbW9zW6ma4r.99

I think this guy's gonna kill it for me in my Hellenic Basketball Federation fantasy league. He's no Jake Tsakalidis but I'm excited about his outlook.

How nice of you that you posted the part about his weaknesses. What about his strengths and his upside/ceiling, the thing fantasy players usually care about when drafting a rookie in a dynasty league.

Anyway this kid is going to be the YOUNGEST player in the NBA this upcoming season.

He's tall, athletic, has a great wingspan and standing reach while having huge hands. Once he adds some bulk to his frame he's going to be a monster.

Kid is a great all-round player and seems to be a nice kid off the court as well, very grateful that he went from Greece to the NBA. He has the length of a forward, but the court vision and passing instincts of a guard. He'll definitely play point forward in his career. He's got a long way to go but he's got the potential to become a fantasy stud, contributing in points (he's also a good free throw shooter), rebounds, assists, steals and blocks. Needs to work on his threepoint shooting, but that will come.

Dude is 18 years old youngest player in league?

1st preseason game: 14 pts. 4 reb 3 blk. 2 stl 1 3PM

Sick fantasy potential if I could only pronounce his name

first pick by the Bucks, I watched the whole game and he's pretty decent, tons of potential, in 2 or 3 years I can almost guarantee he will be the next Batum.

first pick by the Bucks, I watched the whole game and he's pretty decent, tons of potential, in 2 or 3 years I can almost guarantee he will be the next Batum.

Great comparison to Batum, but I think even MORE versatile if you can imagine. He's actually a point-forward type so I'm thinking Batum + assists.

dude this guy looks amazing but not sure how much time he will get during the season, lets see

for 12 man team i think u can find better safe options

Shhhhhhh. I'm in a dynasty and we're awaiting waiver claims at the moment. I love this guy's multi-cat fantasy upside, and I was hoping he'd stay a secret for just a couple more days. Keep posting those "weaknesses", please...

Great comparison to Batum, but I think even MORE versatile if you can imagine. He's actually a point-forward type so I'm thinking Batum + assists.

Batum with assists? Batum averaged 4.9 assists per game last season. The only true SF to average more apg was LeBron and the only yahoo eligible SFs on yahoo to average more apg then Batum is LeBron, Igoudala and Harden. Batum is a point forward by all accounts.

Love Antetokounmpo though - I see lots of Batum in him. If you watched the first preseason game you heard the Durant comparisons - not that I agree with them past the lankiness (although the little step back jumper Giannis hit late in the 1st quarter reminded me of Durant). I could see a cross between Batum and Paul George. The biggest knocks on the kid are that he looks lost when he doesn't have the ball in his hand (easy to fix with learning and practice) and his shot (which isn't bad and with help could be lethal).

After his statistical success in this year's preseason, combined with these comparisons with Batum, I'm very intrigued with him and plan on scouting him a bit moving forward.

After his statistical success in this year's preseason, combined with these comparisons with Batum, I'm very intrigued with him and plan on scouting him a bit moving forward.

Same. Look at yesterday's preseason game even. On first look his stat line looks awful. 4pts on 1-6 shooting with no assists, no 3's, 5 fouls and 7 TO's. That's terrible. But, I think if you look closer there is a lot to be very pleased about. The 7 rebounds are solid, the 2-2 from the FT line is encouraging and the move he made to score his 1 FG of the game was very nice. He struggled with his shot last night which hurt the stat line but he showed in the previous game that he can be a good offensive player. As for the 7 TO's, well I know 3 of them were tied to personal fouls (all offensive charges) which isn't good but it does show he is attacking and being aggressive. As for the defensive stats - 4blks and 1stl. He has long arms, a long reach and never gives up on plays. That screams a player that can average 1+blk and 1+stl per game.

I don't want to predict any stat lines cause I think that is the recipe for looking stupid. I have no idea how the bucks plan to use the kid and I can only guess how the rotation will pan out. I think Antetokounmpo will play and play every game, but I don't know if that will only be for a couple minutes. Butler, Mayo and Delfino will all long big minutes at the 2 and 3 and guys like Kris Middleton are also in the mix for minutes. The only reason I believe Antetokounmpo will play some minutes is because the team wanted him to come over now as opposed to staying in Greece another year or two and they have shot down all notions he would be sent to the D-League. Either the Bucks are a stupid organization (and I really don't think they are) or they plan on giving this kid a chance to play a role this season. The only other alternative is sitting an 18 yr old kid on the bench all season and I just don't see that happening.

I think the Bucks have a 2-3 year plan for the youth.....

I think Mayo is there for 3 years...Knight is SUPER young and a bit of an unknown at the PRO level just yet....

Then you have Sanders signed to a long term deal and Henson likely getting a LOT more minutes this year than last and having a much larger role....Giannis on an average team with average talent might be sent to the D league or be kept in Greece.

Bucks are going for broke this year by throwing a LOT of youth out there....if they do better than expeted, they could be an average team (last year's Houston Rockets). The more likely scenario is they have an awful year, but learn how to play basketball and build off of their experiences into the off season and start gelling as a unit in 2014-2015 and actually be a top 8 team....If that doesn't work, at least they tried.

The past Bucks would have just settled for an 8th seed and first round elimination and/or just missing that last seed and ending up 9th or 10th and going home a week earlier.

As a long time Bucks fan, I FINALLY see a 2-3 year vision with young players that WANT to be in Milwaukee this year and the next couple years. More than they had last year and the several years before that. Milwaukee is taking steps to get out the mediocracy they have been lurking in for the past 5+ years and I applaud them for that.

Due to those reasons, I do think Giannis does get more and more minutes as the season goes on (like Henson last year)

But this year, Henson will be a star. Next year I think Giannis will be a star. Sanders already is a star.....

Milwaukkee ....let there be light at the end of thine tunnel!!!

I just wonder why that made the Caron Butler trade. Maybe leadership, but he gets 25-30 mpg doesn't he?

Henson was a great comparison I think. Maybe Caron is this years Drew Gooden? haha

I just wonder why that made the Caron Butler trade. Maybe leadership, but he gets 25-30 mpg doesn't he?

Henson was a great comparison I think. Maybe Caron is this years Drew Gooden? haha

I think the leadership assertion is spot on.

Come back in 2016 about this guy. He looks like a young T-Mac.

As in... PRIME T-Mac?! :o