Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

JordanGski

Dez Bryant dropped in my league, all hell breaks loose...

So an owner dropped Dez Bryant in my league, where I am Commish. I knew I had almost no chance of getting him, as I was 4th on the waiver priority list. I had to hope it would go unnoticed.

The guy who was 1st on waivers ended up texting me about it, asking why anyone would drop him. So I knew I had no shot really.

So today, the waiver goes through. I ended up with Dez Bryant. He texted me freaking out, saying he put in for him and there's no way I could've gotten him. This is on Yahoo by the way.

Normally when you claim a guy on waivers, you will get an email saying either that you did/did not get him. He said he received no email. Clearly, either Yahoo glitched or he forgot to put in a bid for him. Or he accidentally cancelled the bid.

2 people in the league now want to vote on what should happen. However, I think it's important to stand firm on what has happened. If he truly wanted Dez, he would've made sure he put in a claim. He would've gotten an email as well... And he did not. He blames the Fantasy Football app for his phone for not doing it right. However, that doesn't fall on me. He can easily go to a computer and make sure everything is square.

Of course, me being Commish, plus not budging, PLUS being the one ending up with Dez makes me look real bad. However, if I allow a vote for this, what if it happens again later down the road? I should just trust people's word and blame the app? Just looking for opinions.

My 2 cents. Put Dez back on his team. He is on Yahoo's cant cut list. He shouldn't be cut ever. It looks weird that you as Commish got him as the #4 waiver priority considering everyone should have put one in.

Put Dez on the original team and say the owner made a mistake or didn't understand the injury or whatever. Otherwise this is going to haunt your league.

If he wants to get rid of him he can. Let him sell Bryant for Lamar Miller or something if he is that down on him, but he should not have been cut.

first off, you dont use the cant cut list from yahoo? otherwise how could he cut dez to begin with?

second, the yahoo ff app is glitchy at best i wouldnt 100 percent trust it for something that doesnt happen instantly [like adding a free agent] that i can see right away

but this situation does put you in a pickle (and why didnt teams with wavier 2 or 3 put in a claim?!?)

its either a yahoo error or human error, dez ending up in your lap makes you look bad, but you did nothing wrong

it sucks that it happend, but move on, theres really nothing you can do about it and someone will be mad no matter what you decide.

Tough situation there. Part of me agrees with the guy above, but at the same time, if the owner for sure didn't want him or didn't trust him, then he has every right to drop him. I've had people get "burned" by the cell phone apps as well. They live and learn by making sure the claim gets put in. We just had someone in our league drop Roddie White and it went to the #3 waiver person.

My 2 cents. Put Dez back on his team. He is on Yahoo's cant cut list. He shouldn't be cut ever. It looks weird that you as Commish got him as the #4 waiver priority considering everyone should have put one in.

Put Dez on the original team and say the owner made a mistake or didn't understand the injury or whatever. Otherwise this is going to haunt your league.

If he wants to get rid of him he can. Let him sell Bryant for Lamar Miller or something if he is that down on him, but he should not have been cut.

I agree with this. Dez should have never been cut in the first place so this whole rukus should have never happened. I would simply put Dez back on his origional team and that's where he should stay.

I say make sure you league uses the no drop list and then put him back on the original team. Then tell the owner if he really wants to drop Dez, he has to trade him away. I don't know how the Yahoo App works but with the ESPN app, once I put in a waiver claim, it will show all my pending moves until they are processed.

The best solution is to put him back on the original team. No one should ever be able to drop a guy like Dez

First of all, you should separate yourself from it by viewing the situation by pretending that it was a different owner with the #4 priority. What would you do then? That's what you should do. Second, ask yourself this first - is it ok for Dez to be dropped? Some might say yes to that. In my league, he can be dropped (there are penalties for finishing towards or at the bottom). If it's not ok, then put him back on the team and implement the no cut. If it's ok to drop him, then the next question is - should the commissioner change waiver claims, lineup changes, etc. after the fact when an owner says there was a computer glitch? I personally wouldn't. I would have Yahoo investigate, and if there is a record of the owner submitting the claim and it not working, then change it. If not, then don't. You don't want to open yourself to people claiming to make lineup changes that never went through. The process should be to take it up with the website, but not intervene unless there is proof of a problem.

OP here. We don't do Can't Cut list, we believe you should have freedom to add/drop whoever you want. If someone is dumb enough to drop Dez Bryant, tough luck. As I said, if the owner contacted me IMMEDIATELY, I would have likely intervened and put Bryant back on her team. She didn't get back to me for 3 days, even when I sent her several texts asking why she did it.

As for the waiver claim, I'm not forcing anyone in the league to use the app for the phone. Anyone can get on a computer and deal with their team. It's not my problem that someone trusts an app that has been glitchy. They knew it had been glitchy... and they have been trusting it anyway.

I do feel guilty for being the one to end up with Bryant, but if it happened to me, I would understand. It was my own fault for not making sure that I put in a waiver claim.

OP here. We don't do Can't Cut list, we believe you should have freedom to add/drop whoever you want. If someone is dumb enough to drop Dez Bryant, tough luck. As I said, if the owner contacted me IMMEDIATELY, I would have likely intervened and put Bryant back on her team. She didn't get back to me for 3 days, even when I sent her several texts asking why she did it.

As for the waiver claim, I'm not forcing anyone in the league to use the app for the phone. Anyone can get on a computer and deal with their team. It's not my problem that someone trusts an app that has been glitchy. They knew it had been glitchy... and they have been trusting it anyway.

I do feel guilty for being the one to end up with Bryant, but if it happened to me, I would understand. It was my own fault for not making sure that I put in a waiver claim.

If you as a league have said don't use the cant drop list, then I say keep it the way it is. And tell the guy with the #1 claim that he needs to learn to make sure he put in the claim. If a big name like Dez was dropped and I put in a claim for him, you bet I would be making sure that the claim went through. Like I said previously, I don't use Yahoo but isn't there a way on their app that shows pending moves or something? If so and he didn't realize that wasn't listed as one of the pending moves, it's his own fault. My next question is, why didn't the #2 and #3 people put a claim in.

There's no way he should have been cut - as commissioner, you should have stepped in to put him back on the team before anything like this even happened.

Pretty sure if this happened in my league and the commissioner ended up with him at #4, you can guarantee I'd be out of that league.

This changes things. Knowing this information I would keep it as is.

Just curious, has she ever said why she cut him.

Your only two options are keep him or put him back on the chick's team. Putting him on team #1 makes absolutely no sense cuz he cant prove he put in for him.

Ummm obviously put Dez Bryant back on the guys team. This is stupid. People should not be allowed to drop studs unless they are seriously injured.

Just keep Dez. Not your fault the other teams slacked and didn't pick him up.

People make dumb decisions sometimes.

There's no way he should have been cut - as commissioner, you should have stepped in to put him back on the team before anything like this even happened.

Pretty sure if this happened in my league and the commissioner ended up with him at #4, you can guarantee I'd be out of that league.

If you care more about your team than the health of the league, then you shouldn't be commissioner. The fact that you would've put Dez back on the original owner's team if she said it was a mistake, but you aren't willing to give the #1 priority guy the same opportunity even though he texted you about the situation beforehand and obviously had the intent / tried to put in a claim is clearly a conflict of interest and inconsistency of action on your part that you're going to have to think about and set straight. Your job as commissioner is not to enforce some form of hard luck justice, it's to protect and improve the league.

As commissioner, you should be seeing Dez falling to you as a huge opportunity to improve your league by putting Dez back on the original owner's team with minimal damage and making this a valuable learning excercise for your now engaged owners about roster management and player value, how to interpret NFL injury reports, the importance of the waiver process, and double checking your roster moves.

(And as far as "you should be able to cut who you want", well, sure, that may work if every owner is compentent, engaged, and always acts with full integrity. If your league isn't like this, and most aren't, you're simply giving every owner to the power to ruin your league through intent or incompetence.)

Dude I put a $1 bid in on Brandon Bolden on the Pats yesterday morning and checked it like 4 times to make sure it was on my profile.

It´'s the users responsibility to make sure that the bid went thru. There have been some weird things that have happened in the league i play in but s---, we all put money on this, its up to everone to make sure they know how to use the system and that it works period.

If you were 7th waiver spot, and the #4 guy won it, and the #1 guy complained, would you change it? I bet you'd let the #4 guy keep it.

It happened, tell people it happened, and move on.

I'd put Dez on the original team and talk to that owner, that's redic. You're going to lose some teams if you keep him, no matter what happened.

Getting Dez Bryant for free could completely change the course of the season.

He should be put back on the original owner's team, and if they want to get rid of him, tell them to trade Dez for something. I've seen questionable drops before, but never like this.

Why does everybody think OP should put dez back on the original team?

His league does NOT have the can't cut list, owner cut dez.

He tried multiple times to get in touch with said owner who didn't respond.... sounds like an intentional drop.

After that, obviously teams #2 and #3 on the WW weren't paying enough attention to realize that dez was dropped.

Guy in spot #1 sounds like he tried to do put his bid in on dez, but it may or may have not gone thru (didn't get email).

Commissioner put bid in, got confimation that bid went thru.

Wire went thru, Dez went to Commissioner.

Sorry, that sucks for other people in your league, but damn, the dude in the #1 spot didn't get confirmation email, didnt double, triple, quadruple, quintuple check? That's his bad. And sorry that #2 and #3 didn't pay attention.

In all fairness, you have the right to keep him, and in my league there'd be no controversy as we're 12 grown men with money on the line.

Now, if you're league has some people that don't get it, maybe the owner that dropped dez didn't even know what they did, people don't know how to work the wire, etc., you could consider give dez back and making a huge lesson and discussion about it and be very clear that next time, sorry, yall lost.

(NOTE: that dez had a poor week #1 and got a little banged up, if someone's not football savvy they could think the guy's overrated and move on, that's stupid but plausable)

Personally, I think OP should keep Dez unless this will make you lose the confidence of whole league.

Depends on what type of owners you have....

You say that you would have returned Dez to the original owner if she had texted you right away saying she made a mistake. However, the #1 waiver claim guy did text and tell you right away that a technology-related mistake was made and you knew he 100% intent to claim him, yet you refuse to put Dez on that team. The rationale isn't consistent.

Just put Dez back on the original team. It will ruin the integrity of the league if you don't and it looks downright shady that you, the commissioner, got him at the #4 waiver spot when the #1 waiver swears up and down that he put a claim in. I would jump that league immediately if something like that went down. At the very very least put a poll up, but you should return Dez.

If this happened in one of my leagues Dez would have to go back to the original owner. Let them work it out, I'd cover for that owner and say it was a mistake or they read a report he was going to be out all year, or something. Even if I had the #1 WW and he fell into my lap.

It just looks really, really, really, bad when something like this happens, and it falls into the commish lap. It looks suspicious and I don't want to hear all year the only reason I won is because I let that idiot into the league to begin with. It's pretty hard to convince people that it isn't a big deal when the #3 fantasy WR from last year ends up on my team and pretty hard to explain away when in this case you are the #4 WW.

I'd love to know who was picked up for Dez.