Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

JordanGski

Dez Bryant dropped in my league, all hell breaks loose...

There's no way he should have been cut - as commissioner, you should have stepped in to put him back on the team before anything like this even happened.

Pretty sure if this happened in my league and the commissioner ended up with him at #4, you can guarantee I'd be out of that league.

If you care more about your team than the health of the league, then you shouldn't be commissioner. The fact that you would've put Dez back on the original owner's team if she said it was a mistake, but you aren't willing to give the #1 priority guy the same opportunity even though he texted you about the situation beforehand and obviously had the intent / tried to put in a claim is clearly a conflict of interest and inconsistency of action on your part that you're going to have to think about and set straight. Your job as commissioner is not to enforce some form of hard luck justice, it's to protect and improve the league.

As commissioner, you should be seeing Dez falling to you as a huge opportunity to improve your league by putting Dez back on the original owner's team with minimal damage and making this a valuable learning excercise for your now engaged owners about roster management and player value, how to interpret NFL injury reports, the importance of the waiver process, and double checking your roster moves.

(And as far as "you should be able to cut who you want", well, sure, that may work if every owner is compentent, engaged, and always acts with full integrity. If your league isn't like this, and most aren't, you're simply giving every owner to the power to ruin your league through intent or incompetence.)

this. it's clear that whoever dropped him is an idiot and should be protected from herself for the good of the league. Secondly, if the guy who had #1 priority texted you before waivers went through implying he couldn't believe Dez was dropped and that he was going to pick him up, the morally correct thing to do if the original owner still doesn't want Dez is give Dez to the team with #1 waiver priority b/c he texted you before hand. It sounds like your league has a bunch of morons in it, are you really gonna feel high and mighty that you beat a bunch of idiots b/c tweedle dee dropped a #1 WR and tweedle dumb used a glitchy app which failed to pick him up before you? And what about the other 2 people ahead of you on waivers, obviously they don't check the league or have a clue as to whats going on. This is how you want to win your league? Really? Be a MAN and either give Dez back to the original team or to team with #1 wiaver priority who told you he wanted Dez before waivers went though.

As a league, we came to an agreement to let things stand as they are. BallinOnnaBudget said it best for me. The league I play in is a family league. 10 teams. Dez Bryant was dropped for Julian Edelman. Also, the #2 and #3 teams did not put in for Bryant because they thought #1 team would pick him up for sure. Me (#4) and another owner (#5) as well as another team (#6) all admitted to putting in a claim, even though they were sure #1 would put in for him. You just never know what could happen. Was I just supposed to accept my fate and not prepare for a foolish mistake? Once this happened, I'm supposed to be penalized for the mistake that #1 team made? That doesn't sound fair. It's still a very competitive league, with money on the line.

While I do feel guilty and like I don't deserve Dez Bryant at all, if it weren't me getting him, it would've been team #5. Or #6. And I'm sure they wouldn't just secede to #1 because he caused a fuss. The team that dropped Dez admitted her mistake today but said she accepts the mistake she made, she understands she screwed up. Any more questions?

As a league, we came to an agreement to let things stand as they are. BallinOnnaBudget said it best for me. The league I play in is a family league. 10 teams. Dez Bryant was dropped for Julian Edelman. Also, the #2 and #3 teams did not put in for Bryant because they thought #1 team would pick him up for sure. Me (#4) and another owner (#5) as well as another team (#6) all admitted to putting in a claim, even though they were sure #1 would put in for him. You just never know what could happen. Was I just supposed to accept my fate and not prepare for a foolish mistake? Once this happened, I'm supposed to be penalized for the mistake that #1 team made? That doesn't sound fair. It's still a very competitive league, with money on the line.

While I do feel guilty and like I don't deserve Dez Bryant at all, if it weren't me getting him, it would've been team #5. Or #6. And I'm sure they wouldn't just secede to #1 because he caused a fuss. The team that dropped Dez admitted her mistake today but said she accepts the mistake she made, she understands she screwed up. Any more questions?

that's why girls aren't allowed in my leagues.

any league where someone drops Dez Bryant if automatically a league I would not enjoy playing in.

I tell you one thing, if I was in this league and this happened and you ended up keeping Bryant, I'd be on the first thing smoking out of said league.

You,as the commish, have a higher responsbility to uphold league integrity. By keeping Bryant, you fail at that. Bryant should have either gone back to the original team or gone to the guy with WW #1. He texted you before waivers went through and said he was going to claim him.

Also, You said above that you feel kind of quilty. That right there tells me that you made the wrong decision. There is no scenario where you should be the one to have Bryant. Orginal owner admits it was a miastake. Boom, give him back to her. And if she refuses him, then give him to the guy that had WW #1 and texted you BEFORE waivers cleared that he was going to claim him.

LIS, you handled this badly and it's for one simply reason.. You put your team before the league and that's just something a commish can not afford to do.

Well my humble opinion is this, if I was in that league...regardless of the circumstances and no matter how big of a coincidence it was, if I noticed the commish get dez STILL as the 4th ww pickup, I would be quite curious and it would most likely make me think the league is just terrible for one and two I would think that there was some scheming involved, like I said...no matter what the circumstances are, it just looks bad, sounds bad, fishy, whatever words you wanna use.

Do yourself a favor and setup a cant cut list, that imho is the way to play fantasy. I get so annoyed when I read stories like this because they shouldn't happen.

Once this happened, I'm supposed to be penalized for the mistake that #1 team made?

How are you "penalized" in any way by giving back a player you never should have had in the first place?

And despite the fact that people agreed to let things stand, this isn't some zero sum one and done buy in league with strangers, it's a family affair. And you, as commissioner, should put the league first, return the player to your sister, and let everyone learn from their mistakes without compromising the integrity or competive balance of the league.

I'm the commissioner of a family league as well, and one of the hardest things to do in a league like that is keep everyone engaged. It's your job to help convert the "along for the ride" owners into people who enjoy and add to the league, and prevent them from going completely absentee. Believe me, stupid s--- happens in leagues like this, and it's up to you to deal with it in a positive way that keeps the owners active and the league strong.

What do you value more, helping this league and a family tradition grow and flourish, or increasing your chances of winning this year at the price of reduced interest?

(I'm also interested to know how long this league has existed and how long your sister has been playing. My family league is entering year 4, has grown from 12 to 16 players, and I've had to deal with way worse things than this where I've had to be the "bad guy" to help the league instead of the "good guy" you get to be in this situation. And I wouldn't risk detracting from what the league brings to family gatherings and the Thanksgiving / Holiday season for any price.)

It isn't up to team #5 or 6, it's up to you as commisioner to make this right. And the fact that you ended up with Bryant is actually extemely fortuitous because makes it that much easier to deal with.

Simple solution: Put Bryant back on your sister's team. Since she probably played and wants Edleman (she at least did *that*, right?), have her drop someone else and let the other owners put claims on whoever she drops immediately.

Interest building, "Remember that time?" / "Our family league is hilarious and crazy fun!" solution: Put Bryant up for immediate trade. Every owner gets to make your sister a blind offer, and she has to accept one.

So an owner dropped Dez Bryant in my league, where I am Commish. I knew I had almost no chance of getting him, as I was 4th on the waiver priority list. I had to hope it would go unnoticed.

The guy who was 1st on waivers ended up texting me about it, asking why anyone would drop him. So I knew I had no shot really.

So today, the waiver goes through. I ended up with Dez Bryant. He texted me freaking out, saying he put in for him and there's no way I could've gotten him. This is on Yahoo by the way.

Normally when you claim a guy on waivers, you will get an email saying either that you did/did not get him. He said he received no email. Clearly, either Yahoo glitched or he forgot to put in a bid for him. Or he accidentally cancelled the bid.

2 people in the league now want to vote on what should happen. However, I think it's important to stand firm on what has happened. If he truly wanted Dez, he would've made sure he put in a claim. He would've gotten an email as well... And he did not. He blames the Fantasy Football app for his phone for not doing it right. However, that doesn't fall on me. He can easily go to a computer and make sure everything is square.

Of course, me being Commish, plus not budging, PLUS being the one ending up with Dez makes me look real bad. However, if I allow a vote for this, what if it happens again later down the road? I should just trust people's word and blame the app? Just looking for opinions.

You should probably just cancel the league and refund everyone their money. Id want no part of a league like this.

I say you leave it be. The responsibility is on the other owner, not you or the rest of the league. This actually happened to me in one league I commish, just not with a big name like Dez. Someone dropped Chris Ivory and I put in a waiver claim for him. After I got him, another owner ahead of me said he put in a claim for him. After investigating everything, we found out that he actually put in a waiver claim for him in his OTHER yahoo league.

Like someone said, I would definitely implement the can't drop list to prevent things like this. But for now, in your situation, I don't think it's your league responsibility to police this. If he keeps dropping big names though, you may want to have a talk with him.

One question.. can I have in this league next year? You never know who will get dropped.. maybe somebody will drop Adrian Peterson or Calvin Johnson? Any league sending studs to the wire is a joke. You need a can't cut list to prevent nonsense like this. Joke of a league if u ask me.

How good are going to feel about yourself if you win the league with Dez? Do you care at all about next year's participation?

In your shoes, I'd put Bryant back on the original team and let the owner know how her move caused all hell to break loose. I'd implement a no drop list next year. None of this is your fault, but if you fail to go against your own self interest, you're going to prove to be a s---y commissioner. And if people have any sense, this will be their last year playing with you.

OP Here. I just brought it up to the league how they feel about me putting Dez Bryant back on the original owners team. I'm leaving it up to the league. We already agreed upon leaving things as they are. Mistakes are mistakes. But I brought up this option, we will see what they say.

Thanks for being so quick to judge my horrible, collusion filled league. This is a crazy situation that likely hasn't happened to many people before, so I came here looking for advice. Not judgements. Thanks

I have zero problems with him staying on your team.i fully believe the other owner either forgot to put a claim in or canceled it.everytime I have a waiver I make sure that it is still pending.he messed up.

And I don't think putting Dez back on the original team is an option.she wanted to drop him let her drop him.you can't force someone to keep a player on their team.i think that would cause more problems then you keeping him.

And I don't think putting Dez back on the original team is an option.she wanted to drop him let her drop him.you can't force someone to keep a player on their team.i think that would cause more problems then you keeping him.

All I know is that would be the day, when im in a league with my sister and shes dropping Dez Bryant lol

I don't understand how anyone can say that this threatens the "integrity" of the league.

Owner A CHOSE to drop Dez

Owner B CHOSE to not make sure he had a waiver claim in. I checked my Waiver for Marlon Brown 4 times for christ sakes.

Owners C and D CHOSE to assume Owner B would get Dez, and not put in a Waiver claim.

These aren't collusion details. Unless Owners A, B, and E at the least were colluding to give E Dez for free, there is no reason why it shouldn't just continue as is. If someone misreads an injury report, it's on them. If someone loses faith in a player, it's on them. If someone doesn't put in a waiver claim/forgets, it's on them. A commisioner should not be in charge of making sure owners make the RIGHT decision, only that they don't cheat. No one cheated, people were just stupid, and those people get punished for their stupidity. Plain and simple.

Any league without a cant cut list is a joke.. plain and simple really. No further analysis needed.