Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

GottaGetTheWin

Favorite Team v Fantasy Team

What do you care about more?   64 members have voted

1. 1. What do you care about more?

• Fantasy Football
    • Your Favorite NFL team

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

55 posts in this topic

A question that comes up a lot, especially from people who don't play fantasy to people that do. Really was curious how you guys and gals felt about this.

Let's say your favorite team is the Cowboys. They are playing the Chiefs, and you have Jaamal Charles and Dwayne Bowe. Your opponent has Dez Bryant.

Used a week 2 example that I was faced with as my example.

Tell the truth! If your fantasy team is #1 in your heart that's completely fine with me. Just curious about the debate.

Who is #1 in your heart?

I always find myself pulling for my favorite team over my fantasy guys. It's almost second nature for me. If you put my favorite team on the TV in front of me I'm going to root for them to win and be oblivious to anything and everything in the world. Including my girlfriend, family, dog, personal well being, etc.

I cheer for my favorite team and my fantasy team. I cheer for my team to win in a shootout. In your above scenario I would cheer for Charles and Bowe to go crazy against the cowboys defense but for the cowboys to keep up and for Witten and the rest of the WRs have a big game while Dez is relatively quiet.

That's why it is good to be a Jets fan.

#1: They are terrible, so I don't expect much from them anyway.

#2: They don't have any fantasy players that are useful.

#3: Since they are awful, I will root for my fantasy players on the other team the Jets are playing. They won't compete anyway, so what difference does it make?

4 people like this

In all seriousness though, I'm not going to lie, but fantasy football has made me much less of a football fan. I just find that I'm not cheering for my favorite team as often. Maybe it's because the Jets are bad, but even when they were decent, I wasn't nearly as much of a football fan as I was before FF.

Being in LA I dont really have a home team, so FF works out perfectly. Im sort of a de facto Chargers fan, but I really dont care what happens to them at the end of the day. Ive never had an NFL team in mu adult life, so its very alien to me.

To give a real answer though, the Dodgers and Lakers are my teams, and I always root for them ahead of any fantasy team of mine.

I play in multiple leagues. So I always have someone from my favorite team playing for at least one of my fantasy team. So I cheer for my favorite team always before fantasy team (since I have so many...one is bound to do well).

I was always conflicted growing up between the Chicago Bears and the Indianapolis Colts, because I live in Northern Indiana and am actually (in terms of drive time) closer to Chicago. I tend to lean towards the Bears (just to join with the Bulls and Cubs) but because of the conflict I never grew up loving one team, so I think I marginalize that.

Despite that, I was disappointed that the Colts couldn't beat the Dolphins and although when he scored the TD I cheered for Mike Wallace, in the grand scheme I would've preferred the Colts to be able to overcome that.

This should not even be a question. Fantasy is just stats. Your team is your highs and your lows. You can redraft year by year, dropping players who gave you woes. They're not who you grew up with, let alone something your heart's come to know.

That's why it is good to be a Jets fan.

#1: They are terrible, so I don't expect much from them anyway.

#2: They don't have any fantasy players that are useful.

#3: Since they are awful, I will root for my fantasy players on the other team the Jets are playing. They won't compete anyway, so what difference does it make?

Haha I feel you man. Lifelong Raiders fan myself. We play each other this season so at least we have that to look forward to.

I'll admit it I root for my fantasy teams before the Chargers. It's easier for me in So Cal because there is no team in LA or Orange County. I would never root against UCLA under any circumstance though

I had this happen in week one. Bears won, AJ Green killed it for me in fantasy. That is my ideal situation. I try to draft Bears players year after year because it's fun to be even happier when they do well. Two things I hate much more than my player facing my team: when my team is doing awesome, but say they keep throwing and I have Forte; and when my opponents have bears and they are killing me.

cmon. eagles all day regardless of FF.

anyone who says otherwise is a chump

Well I say otherwise, and to me it's not close. I guess I think you're a chump if you put your heart over your wallet.

When my fantasy team wins, I can actually take pride in building that team. Knowing who to trade for, and hitting on my "sleepers." When my real team wins, I did nothing. They have no idea who I am.

What do I get if my real team wins? Yay, feel good. If my fantasy team wins, I also feel good, plus I get a cash reward.

Week 16 and I need a TD to win my championship, but that TD knocks the Lions out of the playoffs, I root for the TD.

6 people like this

cmon. eagles all day regardless of FF.

anyone who says otherwise is a chump

Well I say otherwise, and to me it's not close. I guess I think you're a chump if you put your heart over your wallet.

When my fantasy team wins, I can actually take pride in building that team. Knowing who to trade for, and hitting on my "sleepers." When my real team wins, I did nothing. They have no idea who I am.

What do I get if my real team wins? Yay, feel good. If my fantasy team wins, I also feel good, plus I get a cash reward.

Week 16 and I need a TD to win my championship, but that TD knocks the Lions out of the playoffs, I root for the TD.

Totally agree with this guy. I just don't relate anymore to people who get so emotional over a team that has zero to do with them.

I couldn't have said it any better. Especially since 90% of my leagues are money leagues.

My fantasy team winning > Lions winning.

Favorite Team >>>>>>>>>>>>> Fantasy Team.

But in those scenarios when say I play the guy who has Cruz (my favorite player) I just hope Nicks, Randle, Myers, or anyone else gets the TD's...if he does oh well as long as they win. The worst is when a guy on your favorite team that is against you goes off only for your real team to win and your fanatsy team to lose...that's the wrost. As long as 1 wins every week I'm happy.

I'm a Giants fan but definitely care more for my fantasy team. Now, I do tend to try to get Eli as my back up just so I can force myself to root more for the Giants because I know my tendencies to lean towards the fake fake team. I've never been a HUGE Giants fan, just a steady fan for about 15 years, but I'm more of a football nut in general. During the weekday it's my fantasy team I'm constantly thinking of, not the Giants.

Favorite Team >>>>>>>>>>>>> Fantasy Team.

But in those scenarios when say I play the guy who has Cruz (my favorite player) I just hope Nicks, Randle, Myers, or anyone else gets the TD's...if he does oh well as long as they win. The worst is when a guy on your favorite team that is against you goes off only for your real team to win and your fanatsy team to lose...that's the wrost. As long as 1 wins every week I'm happy.

I can't edit it but that should of said "real team to lose and your fantasy team to lose"

But I don't play for much, I can see caring more about the fantasy team if your in like a high buy-in league.

I'm a pats fan and this year I tried (and mostly succeeded) to not have any pats players in my three leagues. It means I'll play against them occasionally but it makes it more likely that any given week I can just enjoy the game and not worry too much about fantasy. It also means I can always be excited when they play well as opposed to being bummed they didn't score with the guy I own, and if I had to record the game to watch later I can check my fantasy on my phone without seeing the game results. So far this year I've been very happy with that decision :-)

Personally I've found more pride in my fantasy team. I still like the Cowboys and want them to do well, but I'd rather win my fantasy week. As others have said it's something that I've put together and cared for myself. Jerry Jones could care less what I'm doing and nor should he care.

I can see it being different when you do re-draft leagues where you have a new team every year but all my league are keepers/dynasty leagues and I find myself being really attached to them.