Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

TommyKramer

Ben Tate for Ryan Mathews (WHIR)

10 posts in this topic

I give Ben Tate and receive Ryan Mathews. I'm tempted to pull the trigger, but before I do I want to think this through. I have Forte, Gore, Ridley, & DeAngelo, so Mathews won't be any better than my other 4 backs. We all know what the deal is with Tate, if Foster gets hurt he'll be a stud, but if not I don't see Tate as anything more than what he's been so far, about a 10 touch a week guy. Tate is a guy I'd only start if Foster were hurt. Now, let's look at Mathews. Mathews is the lead back for a pass 1st team with a weak O-line and gets pulled on 3rd downs for Woodhead. I'll probably never start him, but it's possible depending on bye weeks and matchups. So considering my roster do I do this trade, or stand still with Tate? (WHIR) Post a link

Ugh... that's pretty tough. My initial reaction was that, since you've got a strong RB group, Mathews would ride the bench for now, but he has the upside to emerge as a starter later this year. However, after thinking more about it, how long are we gonna wait? Does he really have that much upside? I'm not sure anything could happen that woudl make Mathews a 20+ carry per game guy...

I kind of feel like the upside is actually with Tate. If Foster gets hurt, Tate is a top 10-15 RB in that offense. That's upside. Plus, with Tate likely leaving after the season, the Texans might run him more than usual later this season. I think I keep Tate.

Thanks for mine.

Thanks for the help.

I like Tate in this case. I actually like your RB group and feel you can afford to take a wait and see approach with Tate. Not to mention, Tate's numbers have been absolutely studly given his few chances and the Texans have to have taken notice. I don't think Foster is a durable back and have a feeling Tate will take the starting job sometime this year. As for Mathews, he'll just bring you regret for trading Tate for him down the road.